“The Food is Addictive with a Fantasic View” 5 of 5 stars

off Main Road | Avana, near Muri., Cook Islands
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 84 restaurants in Rarotonga
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout
“The Food is Addictive with a Fantasic View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

As I was riding my bike across the island on my 1st day in Muri Beach, I noticed The Mooring Fish Cafe and stopped by. There is a fantastic view as you approach the harbor which is a treat in itself. There is also a "thought of the day" which is funny and enriching as you walk up to the counter. This cafe is outside with picnic tables an umbrellas and magazines to keep the solo traveler entertained;-). The service is friendly and the best on the island! Jill the owner is my new friend and I will encourage the tripadvisor community to not pass up the cafe!!! It is a Must Do before you leave the Island.

Now, I ended up visiting this place everday that I could because the taste of the fish sandwiches lingered with me throughout the day and night. Initially, I had the Moko tuna sandwich with lime mayo, which began my love affair. Then I tried the Tijuana Cajun tuna with spicey pickle sandwich, which continued to entice my taste buds. Lastly, I tried the FOB (fresh off the Boat) crumbled Mahi Mahi with lime mayo, it was yummy for my tummy!! Last but not least, the driver of my addiction was the Turkish bread that holds together the sinful work of art that must be eaten daily while adventuring the island of Rarotonga!!!

The Mooring Cafe will be an unforgettable eating experience which I will always come back to enjoy!!

• Visited May 2013

97% Recommend
Ottawa, Canada
“Best lunch on the island..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our island host told us about The Mooring on our second day in Raratonga. This relaxed local cafe is close to the water in a shipping container. Picnic tables sit on the deck outside. They sell a range of amazing fresh fish sandwiches and a few other items. The smoothies made with fresh bananas and passion-fruit are addictive, Service is great. We were there twice for lunch and twice to buy fresh tuna on the beach which we took back and cooked. Nirvana..

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Great fish burgers recommended by locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Quite large burgers with some tasty fish and zesty sauces, A little more salad would be nice but otherwise these were great. Love it. And a nice place by the water to eat.

Visited May 2013
melbourne
“best food on the island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We visited The Mooring twice on our stay on the island, both times the food was excellent. The second time we were told there would be a wait on the Mahi Mahi salad, the fisherman were still cutting up the fish! We sat at our table and watched the fish being cut up, delivered to the kitchen then served to us in under 5 minutes! You can't get any fresher than that! You must also order a smoothie, best on the island : )

• Visited May 2013

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Yum Yum Yum...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went back 2 days in a row. Had the Mahi Mahi salad and the spicy Tuna - both fantastic. We took a couple of beers with us and there didn't seem to be any problem enjoying one with our meal. It can be pretty busy, we waited 25 minutes one day for our meals but only 5 minutes the next. It's just bloody fresh and delicious you must pop in.

• Visited April 2013