“was ok” 3 of 5 stars

Muri, Cook Islands
+682 25 123
Improve this listing
Ranked #50 of 79 Restaurants in Rarotonga
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Tauranga, New Zealand
“was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

was just ok. Flame tree came recommended and looked good as did the menu, but the food was really westernised and was not that tasty. also take your bug spray as was a magnet for mozzies because it is over a wee pond.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Gold Coast
“Menu looked fab but was dissapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I were looking for somewhere different to go for dinner on Muri Beach (after already going to a few of the other restaurants in that area). Looking on the map I thought the place was on the beach, but found it was off the road down a long driveway surrounded by locals homes & empty blocks. At first the restaurant looked nice, tables laid out with white table cloths & wine glasses etc. However, the restaurant is 'open air' like most in Rarotonga, which is usually nice for dinner time as you can enjoy the cool breezes. But as this place was off the beach, the air was still and I was fanning myself with the menu. Plus, the outside area is on a deck over a still water creek so there were mozzies flying around all the time and biting our legs.
There is an inside area with a few fans, but we were seated outside in the hard low deck chairs which were a bit too low for my 3 year old to sit comfortably to eat her dinner.
There were only 2 other tables of people outside with us in a big restaurant, so it didn't have much atmosphere either.
We ordered garlic bread which came out rock hard & no flavour. For entree I had the Fish Spring Rolls which lacked flavour & really needed a dipping sauce.
However the mains were suprisingly really good. I had the local fish with kumura mash and citrus sauce and my husband had the pork belly (or loin can't quite recall) which he throughly enjoyed.
It was the most expensive place that we ate at all week (especially since the waitress - who gave slow poor service all night - charged our credit card twice) and the least favourite place. I'd have to say we won't be going back to Flame Tree next time we visit Rarotonga.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pegasus Town
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is our second visit to Rarotonga and we had to go back to the Flame tree, we loved it the first time and really had another lovely meal this time. Try the sea food platter, and I did try the new cocktail that they were just making, lovely and refreshing. Love the staff, love the food.

Visited November 2012
Alexandra, Australia
“Wonderful Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I were recommend this restaurant from a friend. We were amazed. My husband had the special seafood platter. He basically can eat anything in very large amounts, well he could not get through this platter. Stunningly fresh food and friendly service. Only recommendation put some mozzi repellent on. Sitting next to the pond, they also had a feeding feast.

Visited October 2012
New Zealand
“Overpriced, underwhelming food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We went there to celebrate a friend's birthday. For the high prices, I expected something special. Instead the food was decidedly average. And some kind of "rosti" served under the fish was a grey, glutinous inedible mess. See the food left on our plates.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this place.

• Visited October 2012