“Great ride” 4 of 5 stars

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 attraction reviews
“Great ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had a great ride. My horse was very sweet and patient with me, as I was nervous. Our guide was a great guy from Colorado who knew the local history and gave us great information along the ride. The horses did not seem too skinny to us. They were well fed, happy and our ride was their only ride that day.

Visited August 2012

25 attraction reviews
“Owner is Cantankerous”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I would have rated this place much higher because employee Samantha was awesome and we had a very nice 1-hour trail ride with her, the horses are beautiful, and the ranch is in a lovely location. However, Alex, the owner, and whoever answered the phone when Samantha wasn't there (female) were not nice at all. I had called, per my agreement with Samantha, to make final arrangements for our ride, but the person who answered the phone was very rude and had me wondering if we were going to get to ride at all. After we arrived, Alex introduced himself as our "neighbor" when he learned we were staying there, but turned out to be the owner - he seemed to assume I knew that. He complained about our scheduled ride time - apparently there was a miscommunication among the staff regarding the use of the horses; he also complained about to me about the rate we paid, as though we were robbing them, but it's their advertised rate for a TENT. We were supposed to stay in a "wall tent" but he had apparently given it to someone else (not sure if it was his visiting relatives or a paying guest); I didn't complain at all about being moved to a different location and sleeping in a tent, but he seemed to think I wasn't paying enough. He also seemed to think that I had called and begged for a place to stay, when in actuality, I had arranged for a trail ride and then asked about staying there since we would be riding in the evening. Also, I thought I had been told it was okay to do a load of laundry there ("full use of facilities") but got chastised like I was a child for doing so, even after offering to pay a fare rate for the one load of laundry. I also had completed two loads of the ranch's laundry - folded towels and sheets, put stuff in the dryer, etc., before doing my own laundry. This place has a lot of potential but has a lot to learn about customer service. I live really far from this ranch but will be sure to recommend that friends and family visiting Alaska NOT go there.

Visited July 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
34 attraction reviews
“Not the Best Alaska has to offer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We did a full day ride through Alaska Horsemen where we rode for a couple hours in the morning, had lunch back at the ranch, then rode for a couple more hours in the afternoon. Frankly, the rides were a bit boring. With all the beauty Alaska has to offer, the area we rode in was dull. I expected much more, as horseback allows a unique way to see areas impossible to reach by car and difficult on foot. But at least half (and probably more like 2/3) of the rides, both morning and afternoon, were on park service roads, fire roads, utility easments (along power lines) or actually along the highway. There were beautiful areas close by, including a lake, streams, high vistas, etc., but we took little advantage of all this area had to offer. My impression was that the company thinks guests are there simply to ride horses more so than to use horses to get an intimate glimpse of Alaska. The rides should be more about the area and less about just being on a horse. It also seems that this outfitter is geared more towards overnight and hunting excursions than for trail rides.
It's important to note that Alex, the owner, and his guides were all very nice and strove to provide an authentic experience. A little shift in focus and this could have been an outstanding day trip.

Visited July 2012
Kingsland, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
“BODY STILL SORE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We all were glad we saved this adventure for our last on our trip to AK. We headed off for a 15 mile drive to our drop off spot following the horse trailer. We arrived at a road side pull over spot to unload, mounted our horses and off we went. We followed a gravel road for quite some time and off into the BUSH we went for some BUSH WACKING!! We were deep into the thickets of the forest, our knees were literally taking down trees! Our guide was on a mule so the girth of his mule was much thinner that our horses. I questioned our guide as to when we were getting to the top of mountain, since our adventure was to be Russian Gap, he did not answer. I thought for sure that out of the 5 of us riding that one of our knees would be taken right out of the sockets by being pulled back by trees. Most of our 7 hour ride was like this! We did come out to a beautiful lake and the guide made a camp fire and we had a great lunch (hotdogs, chips, fruit, cheese, crackers, beans). Back on the horses we went! We were all glad to get back and unload. First I was upset about the tour not being what we paid for but we sure did have an adventure that not many people can say they have had!!!!! These horses were amazing to be able to with stand what we went through. Lesson learned, always check with company day before if you can, to make sure the tour your taking is what you paid for and wanted.

Visited June 2012
westford
“fabulous riding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We booked a 5 day trip with alaska horsemen. We went out on 5 day trips on horseback. Each one was different but they were all quite beautiful. The guides were very knowledgeable and listened well to what we wanted to do on our trips and accommodated us. We had some of the most fun horseback rides we have ever had. A special thanks to Brian.

Visited September 2011