“A slice of Paradise away from the resorts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vahine Island Resort

Save Saved
You added Vahine Island Resort to your Saves list
Vahine Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Private Island | Tahaa Lagoon, 98733, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tahaa
Los Angeles, California
“A slice of Paradise away from the resorts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

Just returned from a visit to Vahine Island.

Truly among the most generous long stay discount offers in the industry (pay 6 stay 9 from October through May).

The guests are picked up by Vahine Island's own boat at Raiatea Airport. A 20 minute ride on the lagoon around taha'a would offer the first glimpse of the multi colored lagoon.

I still can not find in the dictionary enough words in the english language for teach variation of blues and turquoises colors found in the lagoon there.

The property is discretely upgrading the beach bungalows into beach suites (The property will be closed from january 10 through March 10)

The activity desk can arrange many different type of tours or excursions (like a motu picnic). Guests can also ride on tehe Shuttle boat to Raiatea to explore yet another island.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2005

Felt compelled to write a review when I saw this. Absolute paradise. People charming and friendly. Relaxed and beautiful. Went there for a week on our honeymoon. Totally idyllic.

• Stayed August 2005
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2005

I visited Vahine Island Resort several years ago and felt inclined to post a review when I read a couple of negative reviews on this site.

Vahine is absolutely unspoiled paradise. If you enjoy large resorts, casinos and discos this is not the place for you. When I visited Vahine it was owned by a French chef and his wife. They were extremely kind and attentive. I was at the end of a four year work bender and desperately needed rest. I was definitely a "high maintenance" guest as several of my clients tracked me down at the resort and tried to put in phone calls to me. The owners were very protective of my vacation privacy and didn't put calls through to me without asking me first and didn't let callers know I was staying there. I also had a guest that decided to visit at the last minute and the owner arranged a last minute water taxi.

I stayed in the second overwater bungalow and it was divine. No, there wasn't bone chilling air conditioning or marble countertops but that's not what this place is about. When I visited there was no menu so to speak, I simply ate what was prepared for me each day and it was delicious.

I have traveled extensivey through Polynesia, the French Riviera, the Caribbean, etc. and Vahine is the place I dream of returning to. Do your homework and be honest about the type of place you're really looking for. Yes, yes, yes, the island is even more beautiful than the photos but if you're going to be bored with just swimming, eating, reading and relaxing than perhaps you should choose a resort in Moorea.

• Stayed April 2000
Lawrenceville, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

My wife and I went to Tahiti for our second honeymoon. We read the reviews like you are reading now and almost cancelled the trip to Vahine Island because of one individual's negative comments we saw listed below. We found most of his remarks to be ficticious and in accurate. If you are smart, you would ignore his comments, like we did and include Vahine Island on your itinerary.

We call Vahine Island, our Fantasy Island! We requested the Over the Water Bungalow #3. It is the farthest out and has a 270 degree unrestricted view of the water and Bora Bora 20 miles in the distance. We witnessed beautiful sunsets every night over Bora Bora and sunrises between two islands. Pierrick was our host, Eric came back from vacation when we were leaving. Pierrick was like Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island. He took the personal intiative to know what we liked and responded quickly to our needs. All of the other staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

I am a very picky eater and for example don't eat fish. There are two approaches to eating. You can order half board which provides breakfast and a full course dinner or you have the choice of eating from numerous menu chooses from steak, fish to chicken as well as many appetizers and desserts. We picked the later. The food was excellent. For breakfast my wife particulary liked the homemade vanilla bean yogurt. (Vanilla coming from Tahaa). The chef made a point to meet the guests. The dining room was small and intimate. What was great about it was our interaction with the other guests. Since there are only 18 guests on the island, if you want, it is easy to strike up conversation. The bar is close buy and the tropical drinks were both strong and delicious.

As far as entertainment, it is what you make it. I went snorkeling off the bungalow. The steps from the bungalow went well into the water and it was simple to get in and out of it. There was a raft about 100 yards out that you could walk to or swim. My wife enjoys looking for shells. She spent much of the day circling the island looking for rare ones and finding many of them. At night, we were always were presented with a basket of bread to feed the fish below our bungalow. Unlike our hotel in Bora Bora which we went to after Vahine, the aquarium table actually lifed up on hinges and you could drop the bread to the fish and watch them swarm below you. During the day we went on a 4x4 trip to Tahaa, visited a pearl farm and snorkeled in a coral garden. I actually saw an octipus and morey eel there. All trips are arranged by the hotel staff.

The accomodations were very nice. No mosquitos, no insects and no bites.
The rooms do not have air conditioning but are breezy and comfortable. The back pateo faced the island of Tahaa looking over prestine light blue water. The bathroom was cozy although not elegant. If requested, internet is available at a very reasonable price.

When we had to leave the island my wife and I were sorry to be going. However, we had Bora Bora to look forward to. In Bora Bora we stayed at a 5 star hotel in an over the water bungalow. There were numerous insects, it was quite expensive and it did not give us the same homely and warm feeling we felt on Vahine, our Fantasy Island. In the end, we regretted not spending more than the 5 days we did there and we encourage you to see Vahine Island for yourselves!

Stayed August 2005
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2005

I stayed there for 3 wonderful days during my honeymoon two years ago. I absolutely loved it. It isn't the most luxurious place ever, but definitely the most unique and tranquil. We stayed in one of the waterside bungalows. They're cozy and very charming. There was a basket with some fresh coconut meat when we arrived. We slept with the sliding doors open at night for some air circulation and to hear the waves and wind. You can also sit out on the little balcony in front of your bungalow and enjoy the stars. It was just magic.

We didn't hang around the island all that much during the day because we went on dives, which was amazing, needless to say. Crystal clear waters and lots of fish. Other than diving, I'd say the highlight of the place were the meals. Hats off the the chef! Dinner was always fantastic. They switch between fish and meat every night so you don't get bored. I kept the menus from the meals and pasted them into my honeymoon album.

If you want top-notch luxury and air conditioning, this is not for you. But for our short stay, it was just perfect.

• Stayed May 2003

Been to Vahine Island Resort? Share your experiences!