“Vahine Island Private Resort Paradise on Earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vahine Island Resort

You added Vahine Island Resort to your Saves list
Vahine Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Private Island | Tahaa Lagoon, 98733, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tahaa
Dunedin, Florida
“Vahine Island Private Resort Paradise on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

This perfect resort is everything we ever dreamed a tropical isle could be. Hidden in a coconut grove our "Fare Toru" (cottage # 3) had a coral gardens right off our deck and Bora Bora painted on the horizon. We didn't care that the sun rose at 6 AM because we woke in an extremely comfortable bed to such beauty. In fact the view was so good, that we didn't closed our curtains at night. We were so fortunate to have been upgraded to a suite and would choose it again because of the glass doors as opposed to opaque soji doors of the smaller units. Our only problem with the room was that the bathroom was not really a separate room and lacked privacy and sound abatement for middle of the night visits. We would also have liked to have had a coffee maker in the room, not just a water boiler. But these were minor complaints in the big picture. And Oh what a glorious big picture, starting with the staff. Laure and Terence, the delightful French couple who manage the resort, were so hospitable and attended to our every need. Our favorite "beach boy", Roe, became a friend and taught us so much about Polynesian culture,language, history and everyday life on Taha'a. He built us a coconut frond basket to carry bread to feed "our fish" under the porch. He walked with us along the reef and got us to taste sea urchins and fresh caught clams. He took us out in the motorized outrigger to search for huge rays and sharks. He brought us a raft to float on and didn't crack a smile when we capsized the outrigger canoes multiple times. We learned it was wiser to stick with kyaks and we used them daily to explore neighboring isles and to get to the reef where the best snorkeling was. The owner and his wife and children were vacationing from Switzerland while we were there and were delightful. They made us feel like family. The two island cats got a new kitten that they rescued abandoned on a nearby motu. We took walks across land bridges to the two connecting undeveloped islands and felt we were stepping back in time. Laure told us there were plans to add a small spa on one of the islands and an owner's home on the other one. The calm lagoons and the little deep rills between the three islands were all the water we needed and we never missed having a swimming pool. Nor did we miss the noise of jet skis, the high-intensity sodium lights shining throughout the night and the hyper-activity of the mega over the water resorts on other islands. We were pleasently suprised that the dreaded mosquito was non existant in Vahine. Laure told us that they work hard on insect control and it certainly was apparent during our visit. The full moon, the Southern Cross in a star studded sky, sunsets beyond compare, French cuisine to rival the finest restaurants, crystal clear water, colorful coral, exotic fish, kittens to pet, rain only at convenient times and and wonderful people gave this resort a five star rating for us. We enjoyed an exciting Polynesian night on our last evening with local dancers and musicians. What a wonderful gift to give such a small group of guests. Will we return? We are already plotting it for next year and dreaming about it on a nightly basis. The perfect cure to insomnia!

Room Tip: The bigger beach suites have a sliding glass door for a spectacular view of the lagoon. The smaller...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Vahine2010, Responsable commercial at Vahine Island Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear guests and friends of Vahine Island,
Thank you very much for your contribution to our comments page and we really appreciate your detailed and constructive feedback.
It is wonderful to hear you enjoy your stay at the best and all the team is looking forward to welcoming you back next year in your 2nd “Polynesian home”;
Best wishes. Terence, Laure and all the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I get it now. The whole Paul Gauguin and French Polynesia thing, because that's what I want to do now -- pack up all my stuff and move to French Polynesia…only I won't be moving to Tahiti. Nope, I want to go to the Vahine Island Resort off Tahaa.

We just returned from our 4th trip to French Polynesia. We've stayed on multiple islands, multiple resorts – each with its unique charms and some with their disappointing flaws – but we finally found the paradise we've been looking for at the Vahine Island Resort!

A few cautionary words – if you're looking for a synthetic resort that's filled with activity and noise and the raucous laughter of drunken tourists, or a place where you listen to your neighbor's radio or TV blasting across the lagoon, or rent scooters or jet skis and rip up the pristine environment, this ain't it.

This is peace. This is delight in nature. This is sensual pleasure. This is way cool.

Vahine Island Resort is small, intimate -- it only has 3 overwater bungalows (premium), and just a handful of beach bungalows. It's run by a young French couple, Terence and Laure, who are the most hospitable hosts imaginable. Not only are they great, warm, accessible hosts, but, jackpot! Terence is probably the best chef I've ever encountered, and I live in a town in Southern California where you can't swing a dead duck l'orange without hitting a great chef.

One night Terence would serve scallops and roasted prawns with a coconut curry emulsion, followed by a caramel flambé with sugar sparkles. The next he'd conjure up duck breast roasted with spices, followed up by a chocolate soft cake with a sparkle of coconut and hazelnut.

I mentioned to him, just in passing, how much I liked sushi and that very night he served up a platter of the freshest, most expertly prepared fish I've ever eaten.

What was perhaps the coolest culinary experience were his incredible appetizers. One night he'd serve a French foie gras with exotic fruit chutney, followed in subsequent nights by an oyster medley, a red tuna tataki, and roasted sweet potatoes with a honey/wasabi sauce, among others too fantastical to describe.

I'm not normally one of those nuts who take pictures of his meals and post them on Facebook, but I took a picture of every one of Terence's meals. I even took home copies of each of the menus that I'd filled with notes on how to prepare certain dishes (Terence was happy to share his preparation secrets and techniques). (My next dinner party is sooo going to be a hit!)

After dinner, we'd sample a medley of flavored rums that Terence and the staff had prepared. What they do is take bottles of white rum and add any one of several different ingredients – bananas, coconut, vanilla, cinnamon, or passion fruit – along with, I believe, 15 teaspoons of sugar, and let each of the bottles sit in the sun for 15 days. The end result was a selection of richly-flavored rums that not only seduced the senses, they downright took advantage of them and had their way with them.

What was equally delightful was the solitude of the island. My wife and I routinely borrowed a kayak and found ourselves completely isolated from the world within 10 minutes of paddling. We could literally look out at hundreds of square miles of paradise and not see anyone.

We'd pass by what looked like a promising snorkeling site, pull our kayaks ashore on the nearest land or raised reef and swim for hours amidst an amazing array of fish, corals, and other undersea life – all without encountering another soul. Your wife wants to snorkel European style? Tell her to go ahead. No one will see except some of the more curious fish.

The things I think back most fondly on (aside from what I've already mentioned) are the incredible mind-blowing views of Tahaa and Bora Bora; feeding the small reef sharks off the dock; the fish and the octopus that lived underneath our bungalow; the two great cats that are the island's only true natives; cute, wonderful ViVi and her amazing cocktails; the most delicious, creamiest yogurt in the world, served every morning at breakfast (I'll never be able to eat store bought yogurt again); the amazing coconut grove (especially the way it's lit up at night); the best cooling bungalow fans in French Polynesia (so good you didn't need the air conditioning); and the almost complete lack of sound except for the winds and the waves.

Okay, actually moving to Vahine Island isn't realistic, but at the very least, I'm going back next year for another vacation, and this time we're spending our entire trip on Vahine Island.

Thanks Terence and Laure and everyone at Vahine Island Resort!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Vahine2010, Responsable relations clients at Vahine Island Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear guests,
Dear friends of Vahine Island,
Thank you so very much for this comment coming from your heart and for taking the time to share your experience with us and others future travellers.
It was not just a delight to read for us , but also a great mark of appreciation for our wonderful staff who read your comment with a lot of enthusiasm.
We are so glad you had such a great and memorable experience and you will always be more than welcomed at Vahine Island.
We are already looking forward to your next visit!
All the best. Térence , Laure and all the team.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband planned our honeymoon for after our wedding (July 16, 2011), and kept everything a secret until he finally told me where we were going on on our wedding day. BEST SURPRISE EVER. Vahine is Heaven on earth. It is breathtaking. The views, the rooms, the grounds.... beautiful. The cool breezes with the smells of vanilla from the island make the perfect aromatherapy. We went in the July and the weather was absolutely perfect. The staff was absolutely amazing. So nice and accommodating. We stayed at Vahine for 4 days 3 nights before we went to another resort on Bora Bora. I did not want to leave the island and when I get to go back one day, I will stay there for the entire trip. If you want a private, intimate resort, this is the place to go. We hardly ever saw the other guests (which there were never more than 4 other couples there when we were there) except at meals. The is very good but breakfast is definitely the highlight. Homemade croissants and jams from fresh fruit from the island itself. My husband and I laugh as when we first got home, we were dreaming about their breakfast. On our last night, they served us dinner on our overwater bungalow terrace. It was the most romantic dinner we have ever had. Being that we had an overwater bungalow, there is a glass table that you can see the water from next to the bed. It was really something! There is plenty of free activities to do on the island. They have some great snorkeling and we highly recommend arranging for private picnics on a nearby deserted island they can bring you to. Vahine is the perfect place for both types of people- those who want to do nothing but relax and those who want to take part in every activity that nature and Vahine have to offer. To sum is up, Vahine is wonderful, perfect, my favorite place on earth. I can never stress enough the beauty and quality of this island. I can not wait until we can go back one day. Thank you to all of the staff at Vahine for making our honeymoon absolutely perfect!

Room Tip: Overwater bungalow - no air conditioner but being on the water you had the ocean breezes 24/7
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Vahine2010, Manager at Vahine Island Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Dear Mary B,
Thank you very much for your kind message and it is a real pleasure to see how memorable your experience was at Vahine.
As I read you did not want to leave (which happen pretty often !) I have found few reasons for you to ask your husand for another trip surpirse:-)
First of all, we are glad to advise that now all our bungalows have the Air conditioning for a cool experience anytime of the year.
We also have a new Chef on property, and I am sure you will find that the gourmet dinner compete with the amazing breakfast!
Last but not least, we offer a special deal for wedding anniversary....
We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon to Vahine!
Kind regards
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband and I were familiar with Le Tahaa (and love it) but we wanted to try something new.
The Vahine Private Island is beautiful and amazing for snorkeling right in front of the bungalow. The resort is on a quite beautiful piece of land with a stunning "cocoteraie" (coconut trees plantation-like area).

We decided to try the beach bungalow instead of the overwater bungalow because they have more square feet. It was worth it to have the extra room and I felt that it was more private. I must say that the food at this hotel is some of the best we ever had. The cook is amazing. And I would go back just for that.

The cons: There is no coffee machine in the room. The Tahaa had a very good one, and we missed that. We would have liked to be able to have coffee or tea with milk whenever we wanted.
The restorant has specific hours outside of which it is closed.

I don't recommend going there in the hot season (we were there in the first week of march). It can get unbearable. There is airconditioning in the rooms but, because the bungalows are not isolated at all, the airconditionner has a hard time keeping the room cool.
But it probably is much better later in year (the high season).

We appreciated the quiet aspect of Vahine Island. I did get the feeling of being on a far away private island.

Dear "Montreal Lady",
First of all, thank you very much for sharing your constructive comments with us and the travellers.
We have dully taken note and this help us to always improve the service and experience we offer to our guests.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and especially, had a great culinary experience.
I am sorry however, that the coffee, tea and milk station provided in your room was not of your taste and that you would have needed a real coffee machine.
Lastly, I am pleased to advise that we are isolating each of our bungalow so the cool from the aircon is retained in the room.
Thank you again for your confidence and for choosing Vahine Island. We hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,Laure

of your taste.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

A sweet little paradise, quaint, intimate, pristine and ever so clean. From the crystal waters to the accomadation their is beauty and detail in every aspect of Vahine Island. The staff wear the biggest smiles and are always willing to help you. The experience is very special where you can enjoy snorkling, kayaking, tours to Tahaa Island without feeling rushed or crowded. The service is first class and personal attention is given to everyone from the moment you arrive. A Jet ski ride from Tahaa island back to Vahine Island is a must as you will discover more magic along the way. Thank you, Ki Ora and Mauru uru! Share the beauty!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Vahine2010, Guest Relations Manager at Vahine Island Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Hello Mariata,
It was great to have you with us and thank you for sharing your comments with the travellers.
You are more than welcome anytime at Vahine Island and the staff will always be so smily thanks the kindness of our guests.
All the best
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

To begin, how often do you visit a property on vacation and tears are in your eyes on departure? This is a sign you have found a place in your heart for a wonderful holiday. I can’t and probably will not say enough eloquent words to do Vahine Private Island justice, however it truly is paradise. From the time you are greeted on the dock by the management team to the final departure time, they don’t miss a beat on exceeding your expectations. Terence and Laure are truly “the hosts with the mosts.” Eight fabulous days my husband and I had the sheer pleasure to spend on this remote private island. Exceeding the guest expectations is certainly their goal every minute of the day. Terence the General Manager /Executive Chef, will take you on a culinary cruise you only read about in “Bon Appetite” magazine……wow! Talk about tantalize your taste buds on a daily basis. Accommodations, guest service, food, peace, but yet activities when YOU wish, makes this is a well rounded property. My husband and I always talk about resorts where we would return to and this is one of our first on the list. Vahine Private Island and the team will give you the most memorable experience in every category that a vacation covers. Thank you Laure and Terence and the entire team at Vahine Island Private Resort.

Room Tip: Always try and stay in an over water bungalow, they are a treat.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Vahine2010, Guest Relations Manager at Vahine Island Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear friends, Ia Orana,
On behalf of all the team, a big MAURUURU much for those kind words.
It was a great pleasure to have you with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in our little paradize.
All the best! Laure
Durango, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed at Vahine Island for two weeks. I cannot recommend this private resort more highly. The overwater bungalow was lovely and private, the snorkeling just under the bungalows wonderful, and the staff warm, engaging, and helpful. The day excursions were well planned and fun, private picnics were arranged with a little motorboat available to allow the more adventurous to set out on their own...which we did. There are several wonderful snorkeling spots that are either part of a planned group trip, or you can take the little boat to a couple of them on your own. The restaurant and bar were beautiful, comfortable, and the food was 5 star in my opinion. We had the time to get to know the staff. They were very helpful in teaching me Tahitian day after day, and patient with my errors. We had an incredible time, and I would go do it all again in a heartbeat! Matter of fact, we probably will.

Room Tip: We were in the bungalow #3, I believe, the furthest one out. It was wonderful, and had unobstructed...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Vahine Island Resort? Share your experiences!