“Great value compared to cruise ships trip” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
cleveland, OH
4 attraction reviews
“Great value compared to cruise ships trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The only negative was we had to wait until they filled the boat to leave, so like 30-40 minutes. The trip included a stop to swim with and feed sharks and sting rays. That was great and in waist deep water, crystal clear, so it wasn't scary at all. Then we drove by the island, saw some of those great hotels with the huts over the water, only a few hundred feet away from us. Then they took us to a private motu (island) it seemed all the companies came to this same spot, but it was really pretty. There were a few rays in the shallows here, but otherwise the snorkeling at this spot wasn't anything too great. They did provide fresh pineapple and beer or water for no charge. It was a great afternoon. We only paid $50 each as opposed to the $89 the cruise ship was charging. I heard that later that day they only charged $35 but those people didn't have as much time as we did. We had several hours to enjoy this tour. Would highly reccomend it to friends as "THE" thing to do in Moorea. It was a real great boat too! didn't feel crowded even when it was.

Visited November 2012

Denver, Colorado
“VERY EXHILARATING TOUR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I highly recommend doing this tour while in Moorea. I booked the trip online with hiro to get the discount, I asked for a better price and he gave it to me no problem. The couple in line ahead of us paid 10000 for 2 which was slightly less than our price. We did the Hiro tour on our first full day on Moorea. It was a great way to start our trip! We were picked up at our hotel promptly and taken to the Pearl Hotel where they depart. They boat was almost completely full so I was glad I booked in advance.
Our guide was Bruno and he did a fabulous job :) My husband and I were the only english speaking clients on the trip so Bruno would explain everything in French and then English for us. We made a couple of stops to learn about some of the history of the island and then off to the sharks. It is very exhilarating getting into the water with sharks and rays swimming all around. There is a very large mooray eel there and they coax it out with a piece of fish so we can see it. I was more worried about the eel than the sharks, it is huge!
They let us stay in the water for as long as we liked, although everyone seemed to have had plenty of time in the water and we all boarded the boat at about the same time. We then headed over to a motu where they prepare a lunch. While the food is cooking they do a coco show and competition which is fun to watch. They also show you how to tie a traditional paro. Lunch consisted of chicken sausage and beef. The sides were pasta salad, rice, fruit, and poisson cru. Two people from the group are asked to help make the poisson cru and it was the best we had on the entire trip. All the food was very good. They serve Hinano beer, rum punch and water.
After lunch we had about an hour to swim, snorkel, or just relax. Bruno brought out a golf club and was hitting floating golf balls out into the water. We walked over to watch and he asked if we would like to hit. I love golf so that was lots of fun for me! There were a few of us that hit and everyone had a great time.
This tour is great fun and should not be missed!

Visited July 2012
Wild Wild West
49 attraction reviews
“Expectations were Higher”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would have changed a lot about this tour, but it was still a good experience.

For starters, Hiro Himself was riding with shuttles on Tahiti to advertise his business. He made a joke that he was #1 on TripAdvisor because he asked customers to give him positive reviews while the other tour operators didn't ask. He may have been joking, but we enjoyed other tours more and thought they should be ranked higher.

They picked us up on time from the Hilton, but then took us to the Pearl before we got on the boat. There didn't seem to be anything going on here, but after we paid the guide we waited for close to an hour. It seems it would have been better to just have a later pickup, in my opinion.

First we left the lagoon and went through one of the passes into the ocean. There was a group of dolphins playing in the pass, we saw around 20 of them repeatedly over a span of about 15 minutes. Once in the ocean, we saw a group of boats around a few humpback whales. We never got very close, but we did see one of the whales breach the surface in a very impressive display.

We went back inside the lagoon, and back to the Hilton because one couple had forgotten their camera. Great customer service, in my opinion. They could have easily kept going, but going back enabled this couple to capture their memories.

We went though the lagoon for a while, slowly passing by the dolphin center at the InterContinental. By no means am I a tree-hugger, but I can't understand the average person choosing to spend time and money at a place that keeps dolphins captive in a place like French Polynesia. There are dolphins all over, no need to keep them in captivity. At Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa, we saw about 30 dolphins playing in the waves, jumping completely out of the water. We later swam with them, too.

After leaving the InterContinental, we stopped at a shallow sand bar inside the lagoon. At least three other boats were already there, and we could see a bunch of rays and sharks in the water. The rays were fun, but definitely aggressive in a friendly way. I highly recommend bringing your own snorkel, mask, and fins. The ones provided did not look to be in very good shape. You have no reason to fear the sharks, the largest ones we saw were no longer than five feet. After a few minutes in the water, I was literally chasing them trying to get good pictures. As soon as they sensed me, each and every shark took off away from me. I'm not sure if it was because we got there late, but there was no shark-feeding as had been advertised. We saw a fairly large moray eel, also.

Next, the boat took us to a private motu (island) for lunch. The guide demonstrated how to open a coconut husk, then the nut itself, and also how to get coconut milk. He also gave a demonstration on the various ways to wear a pareo. Lunch was pretty decent, and afterwords my wife and I went snorkeling between our motu and the next one over. The snorkeling was really good, we saw a ton of fish, two large rays, and a moray eel. My only complaint about the area was that it was exceptionally shallow. There was probably about four feet of water, and the coral was taking up 3-3.5 feet of water in most places. It was pretty tough to pick out a path that didn't take you over and/or through the top of the coral.

When time was up, we left the motu and the boat dropped us off right at the Hilton.

The guide was really good, he was a highlight of the tour for us. If I were in charge, I would change the whole dynamic of this tour. I would pretty much stay at the shark and ray area for the entire trip, and just serve snacks and drinks on the boat. The food and atmosphere at the motu were not good enough to justify the time spent there. The snorkeling between the motus was good, but no better than what we had off our bungalow at the Hilton.

Don't get me wrong, this was a fun way to spend our day and was a bargain at $60, I just think it could have been much better.

Visited October 2012
Caloundra, Australia
48 attraction reviews
“Missing the little extras”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We booked this excursion when our cruise ship docked in Papeete , our travel agent had suggested we look up her friend Hiro.
The tour took about 4 hours and included a BBQ lunch. We were only one tour of many that got to swim with the sharks and stingrays, we did manage to get to them first so we had some time without other boats. We were then taken to an island and pretty much left to our own devises while our lunch was cooking. We did note other tour operators that shared this "private island" managed to include some "theatre" by showing the tourists how to crack coconuts and giving them a little talk on the area.
The tour was touted as a "snorkel" tour, but ther was only enough gear for half of the boat which was disappointing for those that missed out. I seem to recall that Hiro's advertising material stated he was no1 on Trip Advisor....mmmm.
Tip buy a cheap pair of reef shoes and if you are on a ship, get together a group of at least 10 and you may get a discounted rate.
PS. We did a similar tour on Bora Bora and the guide was great, even entertained us with his ukulele!

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was the highlight of our trip for sure, getting to swim with the sharks and sting rays is something I'll never forget!! We got a flyer at the ferry port from Tahiti to Moorea that had a special price of 5000 XPF, so keep an eye out for that. It was a lot more through the hotel. We got picked up and brought to another hotel which is where we got on the boat. Great tour, beautiful sights, they bring you to the Intercontinental which has a dolphin enclosure. Couldn't get too close but we saw them jumping around. Then your brought to an area in the lagoon with the stingrays and sharks, we even saw a huge moray (those ones you can't get close to, the sharks and rays are friendly though). One of the stingrays jumped up on me and my boyfriend got a picture of me kissing one. After that we headed to a motu (private island) where they did a BBQ and had beer and rum punch. They do a coconut opening demo and you get to try fresh coconut, there's a lot of private time on the island too before heading back.

The only supplies they provide are goggles and snorkels (and they weren't great ones, if you can borrow some from your hotel I'd bring those). We didn't pack towels and regretted that. Also shoes for walking around in shallow water and extra sunscreen are a good idea. If you've got an underwater camera, bring that too, you'll get some great shots!

It was about 5 hours (including transportation), I highly recommend this tour.

Visited February 2012