“Jabba-the-Hut” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Fifi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tahiti
Chez Fifi
You added Chez Fifi to your Saves list
Cite de l'Air | Faaa, 98 702 , French Polynesia   |
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Tahiti
Thompson, Canada
“Jabba-the-Hut”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

If you are a masochistic self-flagelating adrenaline-junkie and an entomologist with a penchant for Star Wars live-action-role-play, DO stay there. Fifi is a perfect fusion between Jabba-the-Hut and Darth Vador. She stoically wields around several hundred pounds of blubber and a classic first-generation breathing machine. "Breakfast (space - gasp) is (space- gasp) a(space) gift (gasp) and (phlegm-garggle) complimentary". If you enjoy a breakfast of stale french bread smothered in rancid margarine after a cockroach-dodging ice-cold shower, DO stay at Fifi's. We also recommend Fifi's for enthusiasts of New Wave British Art, such as Tracy Emin's soiled-panty-strewn "My Bed" installation, the tradition of which Fifi courageously surpassed with her compelling multimedia display of hanging yellow-and-brown secretion-smeared oversized once-were-white Fruit of the Loomish underwear. We recommend it. Strongly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

We booked into this hostel because it was near the airport and we had an early flight to catch. We should have just slept in the departure lounge becuase this hostel was terrible. We were shown to our beds by a man in speedos and despite having booked a private room a week earlier I was to sleep in a partitioned off "room", sharing with two natives, while my boyfriend was at the other end of the hostel in a large dorm.

We attampted to cook supper but gave up pretty quickly due to the dirty kitchen and cockroaches running everywhere. My new roommates went to bed on top of the sheets fully clothed and snored. I got a tiny bit of sleep after dragging my mattress to the other end of the hostel.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

By way of intro, let me say that my spouse and I have done hiking in remote areas and camped out in a tent, so even though we like lovely hotels, we've also roughed it for several weeks at a time, and understand what to expect from modest accommodations.
Chez Fifi--what can I say that would be appropriate for a family forum? First, when we called for our free transfer, Fifi (or whatever her name is) said she was "too tired" to come get us. Another woman there was told that she'd "have to walk". So the free transfer is at her whim--don't hold your breath.
Second, the arrangement for the "private" rooms is that their doors open into the dormitory, and there is a bathroom that is shared by everyone, so in a private room one has some visual privacy, but nothing else. The "living room" is part of the dormitory room, and I believe the "dining room" is a table and 4 chairs outside.
"Breakfast", which was included, was supposed to start at 6:30 AM, which was fine with us because we had an early flight and did not want to spend an additional minute in this place. At 6:30 AM, Madam Fifi was sitting at the table--but no breakfast. After we asked her "where's breakfast?", she then called her helper who went out to purchase breakfast. Good thing we weren't extremely pressed for time. The helper, who was the only good thing about this place, also gave us a ride down the hill to the airport. He seemed like a pleasant, accommodating man, and heavens knows how or why he was affiliated with this place!
It goes without saying that there was no fan in the room, no screens on the window, no mosquito netting, no bug repellent coils, one didn't want to inquire when the room or the entire pension had been cleaned last, and Fifi herself was as absolutely unhelpful as possible. On our 23 day trip to the Society Islands, Fifi stands out as unique in this regard--all other Tahitians we encountered, in any one of a wide variety of circumstances, were polite at the least, and more typically friendly and hospitable.
Yes the location is good IF and ONLY IF you arrive late and are flying out very early in the morning to another island, as we did. Even then, the only reason we went here is that we had flown in from the East Coast of theUS, and just couldn't quite bring ourselves to sleep in a chair in the airport--although if I had to do it over again, I'm not so sure I wouldn't do it differently. Otherwise, spend an extra few bucks and go anywhere else--it cannot possible be less value for the dollar than this place, and it is a far better way to start your vacation in this beautiful part of the world.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed at Pension Fifi for one night in June 09. The only reason I picked here was because it's only 3 min away from Tahiti Faaa airport, very convenience and my flight was 7am. I also checked online reviews and assumed it's an 'Ok' pension, but turned out it was the most terrible place I've ever stayed. Don't ever go there!!!
What happened was, soon after I checked in and stayed on the bed, (it was a tiny room and there was nothing else apart from a bed. So as long as you're in the room, the bed was the only place you could be), I realised my leg became itchy. Just as I felt it, I found there was a small bug crawling underneath my leg. But at the time I thought it was nothing serious because an aunt could bite you too. However soon I found the more I stayed, the more I got bugbites. After 1.5 hours, I got about 10 bites and decided to complain to the owner. My skin got really red and swollen and I thought if I showed it to her, she would understand and change the bed sheet or even change a room. I went to see her and complained, but surprisingly she only told me 'you must've brought mosquitos or cockroaches from outside and there's nothing wrong with the room. The room was clean' and didn't do anything for me. Apparently it wasn't a mosquito. And up until I sat on the bed, I had no problem with my body. I quarreled for 15 more min but she only ignored me. Finally I gave up and went back to the room. I suspected I would have more bites but it was already 10pm and I didn't know where else I could stay, and I had lots of luggage, so was reluctant to find a new place. After that, I found more than 10 bugs on the bed. Of course each time I killed them but bugs showed up more and more and bit my body. Since I kept getting bites over and over, I decided to go to the airport earlier. It was around 3am but I hardly could slept because every 20 min I got more bugbites and the itchness kept me awake. I just couldn't stay there any more. I brought my trunks to the gate, then I found the gate was locked, so I couldn't get out! I had to wait until 5am to let someone unlock the gate and let me out. It was the most terrible experience I've ever had travelling and I do not recommend this place at all. Tahiti and the sister islands are great. There are many other places you can have good memories, but not at Pension Fifi. Don't even go there!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

Chez Fifi is a quite cheap place just 3 minutes walking from Papeete airport. We stayed in a fair double room on the raod side. The main problem was that the place was awfully noisy, with dogs barking, chickens yelling and planes landing. Fifi doesn't care a lot about her guests, so don't expect a warm but rather a very, very basic welcome and be prepared for the noise.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Q: What perspective is this review coming from?

A: We're a family of four. Mom and Dad are in their 40's, with a 10 year-old daughter and 15 year-old son. We're very seasoned travelers from California. Not poor, not rich, yadda yadda yadda.

Q: Can you tell us about Chez Fifi on Price, rooms, location, and service?

A: Price. If you're not already prepared for French Polynesian prices, get ready for an EXPENSIVE vacation! We did tons of research, as I'm sure you're doing now, and found Chez Fifi to be the best value. Their currency is called Pacific Island Francs, commonly referred to as "Francs." For simplicity, I will refer to prices in US Dollars at the time of this writing (August 2008). We spent about $80/night for the four of us for a TINY room, see attached photos.

A: Rooms. Chez Fifi is a converted house with 5 or 6 tiny rooms for individual occupants for $60 to $80/night. We met several clean, young, French people who were temporarily living in these rooms while traveling or looking for work. They also have a "dormitory" which is a larger room with about 10 or 12 single beds shared in co-ed simplicity. If you're comfortable with that like we are, the dormitory costs about $35/per bed. Finally, there are two small rooms in the back which are completely private and joined in the middle by your own bathroom. You can rent one room for $80 or both for $160/night. See attached photos, the views from the common area are pretty neat. We often relaxed in this "living room" and just outside where there's a couch or two and a gentle ocean breeze. Unfortunately, if the wind is just right the smell of the traffic below and airport can go from unnoticeable to slightly irritating. The rooms seemed pretty clean, we didn't see any bugs. What can I say? It was a decent, middle of the road stay-over before our ultimate destination of Bora Bora.

A: Location. Chez Fifi is located about 5-10 minute walk from the airport. Seasoned travelers learn to travel light and our whole family only had two carry-ons and three checked bags. So we were able to literally walk across the street and up a small hill to Chez Fifi. The neighborhood seemed completely safe. We walked around at night and noticed no unsavory characters. Dogs and roosters are everywhere, I don't know why. There's a bus stop just down on the main street and it's about $1 per person each way into the main city of Papeete, 10 minutes away.

A: Service. The proprietor is a Tahitian woman who speaks very little English. There's no front desk really and you kinda have to hope she's around when you get there. Otherwise you just go in an relax on the couch in the living room. It's totally laid back. No need to feel like you're imposing. I got the impression that she might be slightly negotiable on price, especially if there's vacancy. Be careful not to offend. She provides a continental breakfast around 6-6:30am every morning, which is basically bread and butter with coffee.

Conclusion: I didn't originally intend to write so much but I think there's people out there who might appreciate it. Chez Fifi is not for everyone. It's a relatively cheap hostel/pension and doesn't claim to be anything else. You could easily spend $300/night for a place comparable to a Motel 6. I would hardly call this place terrible like a previous person or anything better then average. These ratings are so subjective and I tried to give as much information as possbible and include some photos as well. Good luck and have fun, don't sweat the little things ;-)

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
JessieNZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed there for 2 nights in Dec 2006 (despite the reviews I'd seen) and the place was fantastic! It's in a beautiful setting, with lush gardens and a bucket of turtles (no joke) in the garden. The owners were lovely! The guy chatted with me, making every effort for my limited french, about everything from food to rugby to travel. The beds were fine, the plumbing worked a dream, I was the only woman among 6 guys and they all helped me for the buses to Papeete, getting food and preparing meals. Breakfast is included. The only bad thing I have to say is that when you are walking from the airport to the hostel you can't see the sign (especially at 4 am with jet lag). You have to look behind you and you'll see it going up a narrow driveway. If you walk more than 5 mins you've gone too far. I'm going back in 2 months - I love Chez Fifi

• Liked — The setting, and the friendliness of hosts
  • Disliked — Was hard to find (no visible sign)
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo

Been to Chez Fifi? Share your experiences!