“Disappointed....” 2 of 5 stars

VENICE
23 attraction reviews
“Disappointed....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Our South Pacific cruise had a stop at Papeete and I booked the 1/2 day 4X4 tour. The email gave very specific direction on where and when to meet but evidently they forgot to give this information to the driver. After waiting for over 1/2 hour and checking with a person that we were told was the owner of the Marama Tours (she had a table at the cruise pier and was to busy booking additional tours to help us that had already booked a tour) we FINALLY found our driver and was lead a block away to enter the back of a truck with a bench down each side of the bed with 4 other people already waiting that were picked up at a hotel. We then proceeded to another hotel to pick up another couple.....needless to say the accommodations were not comfortable and very tight. The driver hadn't rolled up the side curtains and the back of the truck was very hot.....he was to intent on making up his tardiness to ensure the passengers comfort (but he really should have had this done before he started his tour).

In an attempt to make up time the driver was going at a speed that kept us bouncing around like a bunch of mexican jumping beans......again not comfortable. The tour agenda was nice and we did make it to everything on the itinerary, but this was done in just over 3 hours instead of the 4 hour tour advertised.

I talked to the driver and he said he had just started a week ago.....Marama Tours needs to make sure the drivers are trained properly before they let them "go it alone."

I will not book with this tour operator again.

Visited January 2014

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“2 hrs late”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

The guide was almost two hours late and offered no explanation or apology. Every time the hotel called to find out where the driver was we were told he was almost there. Total lies. We did the half day circle tour. Other than the blow hole and the LG waterfall the sights were mediocre. Not worth the tour price. The museum was closed for renovations. Driver drove fast and scarily passed vehicles. Only redeeming factor was the driver dropped us at the ferry instead of the hotel so we wouldn't miss it due to his lateness. Rent a car and do the tour yourself.

Visited November 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
“Not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We did a half day circle island tour yesterday. The driver (Patrick) was a nice young man but gave vey little commentary. When we reached a point of interest he pointed at the sign and told us to read it. We expected more. He then walked ahead or waited in the van for the group.
Do a bit more research on tours is the lesson learned.

Visited November 2013
Sydney, Australia
8 attraction reviews
“Marama Tours - Gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have been planning the trip of a lifetime for my 75 year old Mum to Tahiti. I have been emailing Michael (Project Director of Marama Tours) since last year to organise tours and extras (like special flowers and one off excursions). He has been absolutely gorgeous to deal with. Nothing has been too much trouble. I had been waiting to try to get tickets for Heiva and although they don't actually sell them he was the first one to email me the dates and program when he received the details from the Ministry of Culture. I recommend them to anyone who wishes to make their trip to Tahiti special - I haven't even left home and I feel so blessed to be going there - thank you to Michael and Marama Tours.

Visited June 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“Ask for Ramana for your guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We randomly did this one morning while in Tahiti. We made a reservation last minute and they were able to accommodate us just fine. It was actually quite nice. It was just my wife, myself and our guide Ramana so its just the three of you and you're not with a large group of people. I hope I'm spelling his name right. He's in his mid 20's just like us, so we were able to be on the same level as him which made the trip more enjoyable. Our half day trip into the mountains was great and he told us a lot of great information about each stop that we made. He also ask to take pictures of us, which I found to be quite nice. If you want to see the true depths of Tahiti, this is a great tour to take!

Visited June 2013