“Three weeks in Chicken” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chicken Gold Camp & Outpost

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicken
Chicken Gold Camp & Outpost
You added Chicken Gold Camp & Outpost to your Saves list
1/4 Mile Airport Rd, Box 70, Chicken, AK 99732   |
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Three weeks in Chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed here while working near by. Three weeks is a long time to be working without cell service and flushing toilets (among a few other things.) The people at the Gold Camp were so great our entire stay. They went way out of their way to help us with anything we needed. Not to mention the friendly faces and greetings each time we saw them. Everything was always clean. The food and coffee were wonderful. Nice, Nice people!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Its an amazing little place middle of no where. Although they don't have any water line or electricity the place was nice and welcoming. We went there at 12am and were still welcome and given a cabin to stay. Washrooms are outside and so is the shower area. You might have problem staying here if you were a city person but for me it was amazing. Price was reasonable too. 124$ for 1 queen and 2 twin bed cabin as we were 4 person living there. :)

• Stayed July 2013
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've been to Chicken more times than I can count since 1990, as a motorcoach driver/guide. After watching the beginning stages of construction of the Chicken Gold Camp & Outpost and talking to the owners, I moved my business there the year after they opened (2001?). As the business expanded, I was consistently impressed by the level of quality they kept, and my guests were always pleased by the lunch stop - they usually expected much less out in the middle of nowhere. Now retired, I get to visit the Chicken Gold Camp & Outpost for much longer periods, on my own. On my last trip, I spent a night in one of the cabins, and did lots of exploring the long-abandoned historic sites in the area. Sitting outside the cabin with a hot coffee, with the Pedro Dredge dominating my view and my motorcycle waiting for more adventures, was absolutely wonderful. All the meals I had there were of the same quality I've always received. As I write this review, I'm dreaming that Summer will return some day, and that soon I'll be back to Chicken to renew old friendships and to do more exploring.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Incognito
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I'm not sure what Bob W is so upset about, but he should channel a little of that anger to his 4th grade English teacher for failing him so badly.

I stayed in one of the cabins at Chicken Gold Camp for a full month this summer. I was thoroughly pleased with the accomodations, which were immaculate, comfortable, dry, and had plenty of room for me and all of my gear. I am not used to cold weather at all, so I used the propane heater every night and loved it! It started immediatedly and heated the entire cabin within a minute or two. There was nothing dangerous about it. I expected much more spartan accomodations, since Chicken is so far off the grid. I was astonished at just how much more modern everything was considering the remote location. There were different types of accomodation available depending on the desires and needs of the person or family staying. I only wish I had more free time available this summer, so that I could have stayed longer! Everyone at Chicken Gold Camp including the owners and staff, treated me more like family than a customer. I would highly recommend staying at Chicken Gold Camp, whether you prefer camping in a tent, an RV, or a cabin! I have already decided that my first stay at Chicken Gold Camp will NOT be my last! I had the best time of my life there!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Belgrade, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

In April, 2007 I sold my small truck camper and moved my things into a “McMansion”. A 34-foot Jayco travel trailer, with a slide-out, in preparation for my long journey to Chicken, Alaska, for the summer. Thanks to the invite from Mike and Lou Busby, I would have a chance to live one of my life-long dreams, spending a summer in Alaska. The trip over was long, but beautiful, and I saw scenes and wildlife that do not exist in Maine. Gas prices were high, but the trip was worth every cent.

Upon arriving in Chicken, my first thought was ”This is Bob’s Country”!! My second thought was ”I have to drive 80 miles one way for a gallon of milk”! Meeting Mike, Lou, and Josea for the first time was a special moment. I was shaking hands with the family that had mined a THOUSAND OUNCES of gold in a single cleanup!! The best I had ever done in my recreational prospecting prior to this trip was one third of an ounce in a season. They had my attention from Day One.

It was a pleasure to have an opportunity to work with so many awesome people like the Busby’s, as well as Gene, Debra, Jude, Lynn, and Gary. Thanks for the memories.

Helping around the outpost was an enjoyable experience, but not the reason I went to Alaska. The reason I came was GOLD. I was fortunate to be able to work one of Mike’s claims on Meyer’s Fork, about 2 miles from the outpost. I moved a LOT of dirt, but was able to come home with 3 ounces of gold, not including what I gave away. I could prospect in Maine for the next 10 years, and it is unlikely I would find 3 ounces. (Just to put things in perspective.)

The gold was great, but didn't hold a candle to the joy I got from helping many others find gold, some for the first time. I was sure to tell everyone that finding the gold wouldn't be easy, but most everyone stepped up to the challenge and worked hard to get the job done. Almost everyone went home with color in the pan and a smile on their face. There’s nothing like looking into a pan at the end of a hard day and seeing that beautiful gold peeking up at you. As I told many of my friends, ”YOU are the first person on earth to see this gold, because if anyone else had ever seen it, they would have taken it”. That makes EVERY piece ( big or small ) very special!

My Alaska adventure ended in September, when I started the long drive back to Maine. In all, over 12,000 miles. What a great summer and I have the memories and pictures to prove it.

To the Busbys, their family and friends, I would like to thank all of you for the great times in Alaska.

I sincerely want to recommend this trip to anyone who hears "The Call of The Wild" and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed!! It's now 2012, and I'm still thinking about that trip!!

Bob Klein
seahunter2@hotmail.com
Belgrade, Maine

www.chickengold.com

Room Tip: Call The Busbys for reservations, e-mail me for more on my experiences and pix.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Hollingwoth, Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here for one night on our way over from Dawson City. The little cabin was great, except the propane heater would not work in the rather chilly morning, and it was grand to have wood available to have an open fire to sit round in the evening drinking beer. The food was good value and everyone was very friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I stopped in Chicken on our road trip to Alaska and were pleasantly surprised. The Gold Camp and Outpost know how to make an off the grid experience first class. Enjoyed the novelty of it all, delicious food, cold beer and scones, great accommodations and conversation. A class act. It was a highlight of our trip.

Room Tip: All the cabins looked the same in location and ammenities
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Chicken Gold Camp & Outpost? Share your experiences!