“I expected more” 3 of 5 stars

2222-6190
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 345 Restaurants in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Atenas, Costa Rica
“I expected more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place was highly recommended to us so, we went there with that expectation. The ambiance and service were good however, I did not find much of selection for vegetarian dishes as I am one. So, I settled for a pasta dish with white beans which I found that very plain and undercooked. My wife is not a vegetarian and her food was also average. Presentation did not impress us either.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Merida, Mexico
“Wonderful...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great food in a truly charming setting. The restaurant is in a classic house with a lush garden. The service was extremely friendly and prompt both times I was there - even one night when it was extremely busy. It is within easy walking distance from the Parque Central. Highly recommended for the atmosphere, staff, food, and café charm.

Newbury, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing Pizza, Amazing Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I loved this place. I went in a a single person, with bad spanish and the staff were lovely and helpful. Even with my pronunciations! The pizza and homemade fruit juice were delicious. the atmosphere was warm and welcoming.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Great restaurant in the city centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

It is the place to go if you want to have a late dinner in San Jose (sadly most restaurants close early).

The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and a nice outdoor dinning area. Although it is a big restaurant, service is normally good and fast.

Food is delicious! Portions are very generous and prices are good.

The bread is delicious. Tip: try the shrimp pizza or the honey-mushroom chicken.

• Visited December 2012
Escondido, California
“Old World Ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I dined here last evening. Cafe Mundo is a renovated old mansion with a very pleasant decor, attentive staff and excellent food. Our Cosmo and Mojito cocktails were delicious if a little sweet for my tastes. I ordered the Tilapia special and my wife the chicken in wine sauce. Both were very good with generous portions and accompanying rice and fresh veggies. The wine list was well chosen and reasonably priced.
One caution, we set out to walk there from our hotel but ended up taking a taxi as we couldn't find it. I normally pride myself on finding my way around a new city, but the poor hotel ad map we had combined with my usually reliable GPS seemingly malfunctioning led to the cab route.