“Best Restaurant in Costa Rica!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 313 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Costa Rican, International
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Restaurant Grano de Oro merges Costa Rican tropical with European cuisine under the expertise of our French chef Francis Canal. Once a simple cafe, this restaurant has evolved into one of San Jose’s finest dining establishments, frequented by locals and tourists alike.Specialty cocktails, classically presented dishes and delicious desserts are served in the charming ambiance of a magnificent period home with an elegant inner courtyard. The bilingual wait staff provides professional and friendly service. Service is offered throughout the day from 7 am to 10 pm. Restaurant, patio and bar are non-smoking
New York NY
“Best Restaurant in Costa Rica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were a group of 4, each of us ordered a different appetizer, main dish and dessert. EVERY single dish was flat out delicious. It was so good that we came back the next day.

The restaurant and hotel is very elegant and formal. The beautiful tropical fresh flowers, the decor and ambiance, and of course, the visual delight on the plate with its robust taste and delightful textures make this place worthy of a top notch restaurant in New York or Paris. It was a pleasure to find a place like this in Costa Rica (which is gastronomically pleasurable, surprisingly). Even though this was the most expensive place we ate, paying 30$ for perfectly cooked tenderloin is a bargain in New York, and anywhere else food of this quality is normally served.

• Visited May 2013

Miami, Florida
“Nice surprise in San Jose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a restaurant placed inside the Boutique Hotel with the same name, Grano de Oro, and it is located downtown San Jose, its restaurant. It has an internal patio, and the restaurant is around it. You can eat either in the patio, or inside. There is a section with tables for too looking to the patio, my favourite ones.

The décor is so nice, the hotel has the look of a hotel in the French Quarter in New Orleans. Chairs and fabrics are very classy. The chef is a French gentleman who flew around the world, but fell in love with a Tica, so he decided to stay. He grows all his veggies in his farm.

The menu is short, but very well assorted. It has from fancy main courses like rabbit with a reduction on red wine sauce, to veggie sandwich. All amazing!!! But for me the reason that made me keep going is their signature dessert Pie Grano de Oro. I am a chocoholic, if it is not chocolate hmmm I think it twice, but this creamy coffee crunchy crust dessert is one of the most delicate and tasty thing I have ever try in my life.

As expected being in a fancy boutique hotel, all frenched up, and good decoration, it is a little bit pricy for Costa Rica’s standard, but it is worthy all the way! You will not regret it, I promise.

• Visited June 2012
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“Restaurante Grano de Oro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The food was delicious! Eat in the garden or the formal dining room. It is not to be missed! You will not be disappointed! The atmosphere, ambiance, charm, and service are not to be ignored either.

• Visited April 2013
“Real Golden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The food was fantastic. Truly quality to any top world class restaurant. High class. Expensive but well worth it.

Visited October 2012
Kelowna, Canada
“Unmatched Food, Atmosphere, and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Grano de Oro is simply THE place to eat in Costa Rica. My wife and I frequently travel to San Jose (multiple times a year) and each time we are there we make every effort possible to eat at this restaurant as many times as we can. The atmosphere is incredible. It is the perfect mix of regal elegance and comfort. The staff are wonderful, friendly, and always do a great job ensuring that our experience is flawless. Over the years, many of the staff have even started to feel like family to us. But that isn't the main reason we keep coming back. It's for the food. The food at Grano de Oro is unmatched. We have enjoyed nearly every dish on their remarkably diverse menu and almost always find ourselves telling each other "that was the best meal I've ever had!" For me, the standouts are the Pato con Higo Caramelizado (duck), the Cerdo en Salsa Tamarindo (pork) and the pastas. I don't know how they do it, but when you taste the pasta you would swear that you were in Italy. I am convinced they have a sweet, little old Italian grandmother hiding somewhere in the kitchen! My wife's favorite is the Cordero y Menta (lamb), and like me, she also loves the duck. The appetizers and desserts are all fantastic, with the Salmón a la Vainilla and the Crème Brûlée deserving special mention. As for cost, I have found the prices to be very reasonable. I am a big believer in "you get what you pay for", and when what you're getting is the best meal you've ever had time and time again, it is worth every penny. All in all, I cannot recommend this restaurant enough. If you are planning a trip to this beautiful country, make sure you make room in your plans for a night (or every night!) at Grano de Oro.

• Visited December 2012