“excellent meal in San Jose” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tin Jo

Tin Jo
Calle 11, Av. 6 y 8 Detras de la Iglesia La Soledad, 150 metros al sur, San Jose, Costa Rica
506 2221 7605
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 346 Restaurants in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Pan-Asian
Good for: Doing business, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our mission is to serve delicious, healthy food in an environment that is conducive to sharing and caring. We believe that food should nourish us physically, emotionally and spiritually. Our dishes are inspired from Asian countries: China, Japan, India, Indonesia, Thailand. We have an extensive vegetarian and vegan menu as well as a gluten free menu. Our Asian themed rooms gather together all the art work we have collected as well as those created by closed friends and frequent diners. Tin Jo is our third child and we are very involved owners. We love to interact with you, our customers and it is our sincere wish that your visit to our restaurant satisfies not only your senses but also uplifts your spirit. With Gratitude,Maria Hon and Robert Faulstich
Boston, Massachusetts
“excellent meal in San Jose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went to Tin Jo with my gf, & would recommend it to anyone. Nice atmosphere, good vegetarian options, good wine, & tasty asian food, which was nice, because, though I do like CR's typical food, it's nice to have some variety. Very nice people as well.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chicago
“Not what it once was”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Tin Jo has been a must go on my agenda for many years. Sad to say, my last visit was a disappointment.
The waiter had a condescending aire about him and he seemed disengaged and uninterested.
The steamed fish arrived with noticeable freezer burn and was dried out with zero flavor.
The guy I was with said his chicken dish was mediocre at best.
I told the manager, " John Wayne" and he seemed sympathetic, but nothing other than a shrudge was offered to correct these issues.

I will monitor reviews here before I return to this once excellent dining experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Maria H, Owner at Tin Jo, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear EasyEdChicago,
Oh, I am so sad to read your comment on TripAdvisor. I know exactly how you feel. I also have had the experience of being waited on by a condescending, uninterested and disengaged waiter. It´s very frustrating and can certainly ruin one´s dining experience.

My apologies to you. It is especially sad and disheartening that this happened to you, our loyal long time customer who has enjoyed so many excellent meals at the Tin Jo before. I am extremely sorry that I was not there that day to rectify the situation and surprised to hear that Johnny, our usually very accommodating manager was not able to solve the situation.
Seems like I have some work ahead of me to train both the waiter and Johnny, as well as my head cook . Your note is very helpful. It is through constructive reviews with specific details like yours that we become aware of our shortcomings and are able to maintain the quality of our clients ‘dining experiences. Even with 42 years of serving, we continue to learn and grow with our customers´ input.
So, once again, thanks for your input and we hope that you give us another chance. It would be an honor for me to serve you personally in your next visit. And if the opportunity arises, I will make sure that both service and food is back to the way you are used to. Thank you.
Yours truly,
Maria
owner
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

After a year in San Jose, I finally found a place that offers an excellent option for many worlds: thai, indian, vietnamese, japanese, chinese, etc. All of the dishes that we tried were delicious and ample in size. Cocktails were great too!

Visited February 2013
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
“A lot of hype for an average place...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

After a couple years of friends recommendations and after reviewing reviews on TA I opted to try Tin Jo for Valentines Day 2013. First impression very nice and courteous staff, enjoyed the warm decor and how the restaurant is kind of compartmentalized to provide intimacy and privacy. The food was average at best and granted I always take into account when dining on a holiday or special event kind of evening things might not be a 100%. Started with two appetizers: the edamame and 5-spice pork ribs. Edamame was a bit overcooked, portion was a small handful of the pods (at best) and was served with a dry 5-spice powder that in my opinion is not a suitable accompaniment for a delicate appetizer. The 5-spice ribs were moist and cooked perfectly thought lacking in any 5-spice flavor, lucky me there was enough leftover from the edamame dish and really, really small portion for the $11 price. Main dishes were way better in portion, flavor & value. We had the Kanpao Beef (Mix vegetables sauteed with beef, basil and sweet chile sauce) and the Philippine Pork (Pork braised in vinegar, peppercorns, bay-leaf and spices). All in all nice place especially in terms of ambiance, stay away from the appetizers, and in reality you can get just as good of a meal at any number of mom and pop Asian restaurants in the area for a bit less and without all the hype.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, MN
“Excellent Food, Service OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a couple of different dishes, both were very tasty and came to the table quickly.after ordering. It took us about 10 minutes to get out check (we were forgotten about it seemed), but up front service was very good, so I'll give them a pass.

Visited February 2013