“Quirky” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa 69

You added Casa 69 to your Saves list
Casa 69
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   69 calle 25bis | Barrio California, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 57 San Jose B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for just a night and left early in the morning. The room was large, clean and full of character. There were several places nearby to eat, but (at least this part of ) San Jose wasn't the sort of place to hang out at night. The rooms are close to the railway track which was a bit noisy. We also had a lot of trouble actually finding the place (we were driving ourselves) and one of the roads was blocked by a lot of Nicaraguans outside the nearby embassy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Naas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I only had a short stay in casa 69 but I could have stayed a lifetime and was just what we needed at the point in our travels.This comes highly recommend by myself and companions. We were looking for somewhere safe ad comfortable to stay over on route to Monteverde but got so much more. The rooms are pristine an full of all the modern comforts all of which had a ensuite. Each comes decorated differently and I was tempted to take a picture of it. The staff could not have been friendlier, particularly Donna herself who I presume is the manager. The continental breakfast is a welcome surprise, fresh juice, baguette, jams and coffee. For the price we paid this has all the facilities of a high end hotel and is excellent value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The place was very clean, the breakfast was wonderful, the room was great and very comfortable, and the staff was wonderful. There are dogs there but the dogs are sweethearts and so friendly. I would recommend Casa 69 to everyone planning on staying in San Jose!

• Stayed May 2013
South Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Am waiting to download pics to attach but wanted to express my appreciation to Casa 69. The folks were so gracious and caring. It was like being in a Latin family, in some ways.Stayed 4 nights at Casa 69. Had begged GECKO Travel, which are great people also to get me out of Manuel Antonio, early. A very disappointing stay in Manuel Antonio.The reservation person was so very gracious to book me 1 day earlier than I was scheduled to stay with Casa. Gloria a Dios!My room was amazing and the breakfasts were outstanding all the time there.All the staff were so very helpful with a non-Spanish speaking Florida guy. We were able to communicate, well enuff.There is a great Peruvian Restaurant just around the corner from Casa as well as many other eateries, well within walking distance.Being an animal lover, having the dogs and cats, gave a feeling of home and family. Both dogs and cats were very affectionate, yet gentle.I did happen to be in San Jose during the visit of the President of China. Lots of policia and traffic but all cleared easily.San Jose and Casa69 is a place to love and embrace as a Central American B&B.So glad I booked to stay there. It was disconcerting when I was dropped off at the door, where this was located but with a secure entry code, I did feel secure.Will attach pics when downloaded. Pura vida!

Room Tip: Maybe, a room away from the passing train side. I was fortunate enuff to get #6, on the opposite si...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I arranged to be picked up at the airport by the hotel shuttle and the owner Donna was along for the ride. I was the first off the plane and had no checked luggage so was actually out of Customs within 5 minutes. I was afraid they wouldn't be there so early but there they were waiting for me.

The drive into the city took about 20 minutes and we chatted on the way in. Both Donna and the driver were very friendly.

The home / B&B are in a good location, and we had no issue whatsoever with noise. Our room was on the top floor, had a gorgeous walk out balcony and an incredible view in the evening. The only downside was that sometimes others would walk up there and they could see directly into our room. The hotel is gorgeous inside, the breakfast was excellent and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

I think we probably had one of the best rooms in the hotel, but from what I could see they all looked nice. The king size bed was very comfortable, the shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. The tv was small and had mostly fuzzy stations. But we were not there to watch tv so really not important.

I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in the part of this small hotel that is across the street from the main building. The main attractions (museums, shopping, places to see) are no more than a 10 minute walk from the Casa 69. A basic breakfast is included in the price. My room was very clean with TV. There are a few places to sit and relax including on the roof terrace overlooking part of the city. Internet use is available. Restaurants (both Costa Rican and American) are very close by. They arrange pick-up from the airport and it is really worthwhile to ask for it. Ask for Pinar, she is very knowledgeable about Costa Rica and will be able to offer you other excisions you may find interesting without insisting. I found this to be a nice change of approach. The staff at the Casa was helpful, especially the cook; this is a small hotel so everyone helps out. The owner, Donna, is also very helpful and can be counted on for a story or two! Do bring earplugs: the train tracks are close by and trains run throughout the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room in the annex; there is a bar attached to the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for the many positive comments put forward in your review. We enjoy hearing back from our guests.

As I have stated before we are in the center of downtown San Jose. This offers many advantages to our guests. Once at the Hotel, you are walking distance to all downtown amenities, such as museums, shopping, bars and casino's. You can enjoy one of the many excellent restaurants in the area or partake in our room/dinner package.

Once you arrive, you will not need a taxi to take you to any of these places.

With being downtown, we also experience the noises one would hear in any large city. This can bother light sleepers. To offset this, we offer electronic white noise sleep machines.

These recreate soothing sounds from nature such as waves crashing on the beach, rain on the roof, or birds singing in a rain forest. They actually enhance your sleep, even if you are not a light sleeper, and can signed out from the front desk for the duration of your stay.
Texas City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at casa 69 last week, I was having my labour holidays, actually is my first time in this country and Costa Rica is so beautiful, wish I could stay a little bit longer. When I arrive my cab was waiting outside with a sign that says: "Casa 69", the guy who pick us up was a nice guy and take me to my destiny, when I arrived a young cute guy with a beautiful smile who help us so much, and was very gentle, help us to arrange a couple of tours in Manuel Antonio National Park, he recommended us this one and I have to say it was really great, it's a lot of fun and show you one of the most beautiful enviroment you can ever see next to the pacific ocean. I could say that this place it's more like a home that a hotel, so cozy! the breakfast was served by very helpful staff, it included one of the best costa rican's coffee, fresh bread, pineapple and strawberry jelly, butter, fresh fruit, natural fruit juice , and also a really tradicional dish called gallopinto that is rice with beans. They have in the third floor a beautiful deck where you can have a great view of the whole city and if you go in the morning you can enjoy all the mountains that surround the central valley, it's in a very nice neighborhood with a lot of restaurants around to try an amazing dinner and meeting new people, also they have a phone for interntional calls for free, it was so great beacause let me talk with my girlfriend at home everytime I want, the room wass so clean and very wealthy, a comfortable big bed and a quiet night to rest after a long trip, I'll definetly stay here again next time!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Casa 69? Share your experiences!