“good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa 69

You added Casa 69 to your Saves list
Casa 69
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   69 calle 25bis | Barrio California, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
Best Rate/Upgrade - here
Ranked #6 of 55 San Jose B&B and Inns
Toronto
“good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights upon arrival in Costa Rica (April 19/20, 2013). It was a bit difficult to find but we eventually found our way there. The room was average. I was concerned about the nearby train but it seemed to stop late at night... either that or I was so tired I didn't hear it! Ralph was very helpful and recommended a great 3-in-1 rainforest tour for our first day. When we were headed into town that evening, he walked along with us and pointed out some sights along the way.

It's true what a previous reviewer said... there were 4 cats in residence so if you have allergies this isn't a good choice for you. I didn't see a dog there.

All in all, good value for the money and a comfortable stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Casa 69 for a total of 9 days. I was by myself in San Jose and I stayed at Casa 69 for the first 8 days and then for another day when I was about to leave. I arranged for pickup from the airport through the B&B which made it easy for me to find the place. I work online and unfortunately my room was across the street which didn't have internet but I loved that I could work from the shared spaces and was never made to feel that I should leave no matter how long I sat there. My favorite thing about my stay was how beautiful and clean everything was. I truly appreciated the aesthetic of the hotel. The best thing however was the staff. Everyone was very helpful and attentive. Ralph in particular made me feel very welcome each morning and was very kind. On my way back from Montezuma three weeks later I stayed once again at Casa 69. It was an unexpected trip back so I didn't have cash when I arrived and hadn't been able to reserve a room. It was late night but Guillermo and Esteban (?) helped me get a room and Guillermo even went so far as to walk me to an ATM to ensure my safety while I got out the cash to pay. It is a bit noisy there but I'm from New York City and understand that for the convenience of being downtown I'd have to tolerate the train etc. I truly loved being able to walk wherever I wanted to go. I will absolutely stay here whenever I go to Costa Rica and I have already recommended the place to many others. Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

There has been a significant increase in animals around the hotel sense I stayed here before, so if your allergic to cats or timid of big dogs something to think about. Stayed here in Feb 2013, but had stayed here a couple years previously when the original owner was still here. Hotel is still nice and priced well but the quality has seemed to slipped a little. The staff is still very helpful and friendly. If you are looking for place to see the city this is a good option,you are close to downtown and attractions but of course this brings a bit of noise, if your a light sleeper ask for a a room away from the street. The hotel has two building if you need internet there is no access in the section across the street from the main house, but there are no animals on this side either.

Room Tip: if your a light sleep ask for a room away from street internet is only available in the main house...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
When we took over the Hotel, there was often a problem with mice and sometimes we would see a large cockroach. They are all around the tropics even on the sidewalks of San Jose. This required spraying regularly.

If your looking for them now, you won't see them.......the cats got 'em.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Arriving in San Jose, solo as a chick, I had my reservations, but the staff at Casa 69 was very helpful & made the trip easy & comfortable. For $25 they had a nice, large van meet me at the airport, holding a sign for Casa 69, so I wouldnt have to haggle with other taxi drivers, or deal with trying to explain where I wanted to go, as I dont speak spanish.

Casa 69 is super cute and safe. It has 2 buildings across the street from one and other, both behind large walls & security systems. Inside the walls there is some lush mini gardens & water features. There are murals on the walls, and eclectic but cute furnishings.

They offer a complimentary breakfast of fresh squeezed juice, coffee, fruit, bread & jams. For $5-6 you can have a full breakfast of eggs, pancakes etc.

They also helped me & my friend I met up with in SJ figure out the bus schedule to get to our next destination. They hailed our cabs, told us approximately how much everything should cost, & even held some of our bags until we returned several nights later.

They are very warm, helpful and welcoming. I would stay here again, when flying into San Jose. And for the price, well worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
yavne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I'm sharing few things about this hotel that really surprised me:
1. There is no clear indication around it or even on the door that it is hotel. It was very difficult to find it.
2. The person in the reception didn't talk English and need assistance.
3. They charge me for parking 10 US $ while in expedia that I order through them it is written 10 CRC (local currency), my payment is higher.
4. There is high noise around - trains in the days and from night clubes close around all over the night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing from our guests.

Since your visit we have painted the Hotel name on the entrance door. It is quite attractive. We had ordered a large sign several months ago that would be hung on the outside wall and would make identification much easier. As with most things is CR, very little moves quickly.

As for the noise, we are in a downtown location. We share the area with many other establishments which results in a higher noise level than in rural areas. This can affect light sleepers. We have started to introduce electronic "white noise machines" for use by our guests who are light sleepers. This provides a background of soothing sounds such as waves crashing on the beach or rain on a roof. They are very effective in drowning out the sudden noises that would wake you up such as horns honking or dogs barking, The feedback from people thus far has been very positive. We have this for the convenience of our guests.

We do charge $10/night for indoor secured vehicle parking as we have only a limited number of spaces. You booked through a third party and I have no idea where they got 10 crc. That is the equivalent of 2 cents US and makes no sense (no pun intended). There was obviously a typo error on their behalf. I have contacted them and asked if they can correct their error. Thank you for noticing that.

In future, I would recommend that you book through our web site. You can pay directly through our secure system in partnership with Paypal (you do not need a Paypal account to do this), and can clarify questions you may have ahead of time. We also send out an information page providing answers to the most commonly asked questions. You do not get this level of service through a third party.

There is always someone at the Hotel, or who can be contacted, that speaks English to assist with any guest questions or concerns.

As I said, we are happy to hear from our guests. I do sometimes wonder however what some people expect for their money. We are in a very convenient, safe, downtown location. Almost anything you would need is within walking distance.We cannot control the noise around us but are taking steps to offset any effects of it. We are a clean, well run establishment. Our rooms are tastefully decorated. We normally receive very high marks for service. If you have an issue while staying with us and bring it to our attention, we do our best to make things better, and you get all this for one of the lowest prices in San Jose.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here on my way to Puerto Viejo via Interbus the following morning.

The room was just fine for the price. Bed was comfortable. No a/c needed at night, just left the window open. No problem with noise keeping me up. The only problem was their internet kept going down, but they were vigilant in getting it resolved when it did. The owner was helpful and nice, as were the workers there. The mini fridge in the room wasn't very cold, but I only had some water so it didn't really matter. The bathroom was fine, smallish but did the trick. The room was clean and the hotel was attractive.

Breakfast in the morning was fresh fruit and plenty of it with french bread and butter/jam. I did order the pinto gallo and the eggs were kind of soft for my taste and the beans were dry so I actually didn't eat very much of it. It was only $5. Otherwise you can have the fruit/bread for free. They don't really provide dinner, but said they always have a ham and cheese sandwich.

Interbus was actually a little early picking me up the next morning, but happy that they showed up, so that was all fine. I will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I choose to go to Costa Rica vs U.S.A for Dental Work.
The Dental office suggested a number of hotels to stay in San Jose....
Casa 69's internet sight displayed beautiful photos,reasonable priced and convenient for my dental appointments....
Emailing the owner Donna II was able to book my stay along with paying through pay pal. Donna also arranged for a driver to pick me up from the airport....
As I exited the airport I was attacked verbally by the Taxi Paparozzi....I'm not in Kansas anymore !
Meeting my driver Juan,he spoke no english but no problem for me.
Thankful, Juan made this Horrendous drive through San Jose an Experience.
Turning down a small tight street we stopped and I saw the Blue Door 69.
There was also barbed wire along the top of the building ,as well as every building in San Jose????
Upon entering this beautiful courtyard lined with tropical plants and wrought iron,it was a colorful ambiance saying "WELCOME'.

I was greeted by Ralph,Lola and Rey.....Ralph spoke English so I was able to communicate.
After the courtyard a cozy living room with computer- t.v.-free international phone and brochures of Cost Rica. Great dining room table for quests and the open tropical breakfast room. Beautiful, well manicured,clean,and friendly atmosphere.
I was accompanied by Rey to take me across the street to Casa's continual rooms .
Again beautiful tropical plants sitting area outside.
My room was bright cheery ,local art work -t.v .-great shower and fresh towels....
Internet was not setup there,but no problem it was in the main house.
The time I spent in San Jose,I did not wander out after dark, it was a city and I was Solo. So,Common Sense and Street Smart kicked in..
I was told the reason for the barbed wire was a lot of stealing pick pocketing.
The coffee accompanied by fresh fruit and homemade bread is to make anyone's A.M.Grand !....
Not so hungry spending the day at the dental office I didn't experience going out to eat that often.,I wondered around the corner for some soup a couple of times.the staff were helpful in directing you of some close eatery's..
I just returned to Costa Rica for the third time and of course stayed at Casa 69. I was anxious to return,as well as receiving a Special Greeting from the same remaining staff. Bravo!
Each return there are new additions,paint ,art, internet across the way etc. shows the love the owner puts into this establishment.Rock On !
New eatery's on the street are convenient for a quick bite.
Affordable,Clean,Friendly,shopping and sight seeing the city.
Downfall noisey bars ,trains,terrible side walks,dangerous drivers,
thats what makes San Jose...San Jose,Costa Rica.
Reading through other reviews I must comment,In any city, you need to use your Common Sense to Protect yourself.
The owner or staff Can Suggest,but not be Responsible outside their domain....
All honesty, I felt so at home and met some many interesting folks, coming in and out of Ca 69,we still keep in touch........
I look forward to my next visit.and I know a place you can get the 'Best Ginger Margaretta's'

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Casa 69? Share your experiences!