“This is what you come to costa rica for” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa 69

Save Saved
You added Casa 69 to your Saves list
Casa 69
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   69 calle 25bis | Barrio California, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
Free Upgrade - click here
Ranked #7 of 52 San Jose B&B and Inns
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
“This is what you come to costa rica for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Casa 69 is located in a quaint little neighbourhood in San Jose. Although not on the beach, I loved the feel of the area, It has an ethnic feel and I truly know I am in Costa Rica! The location actually turned out to be perfect - centrally located, with everything you need and want nearby. The staff here are wonderful and gave me so much information about what to see and what to do - it really helped me make the most of my stay.

The grounds here are really well kept and there is so much greenery. I was especially fond of the natural ambience - I felt like I was eating my breakfast in the jungle.
The decor is also very nice - so many colours and tasteful art pieces. Even the walls and tiles on the floor. My room was great - clean, nice size and well decorated. The entire place is very stylish. A classy feel with a very valuable price.

The views here are stunning - from the roof top you can see the most amazing sunsets. It truly was beautiful. Make sure to put this on your list of things to see!!!!

I would definitely recommend this place to friends and will definitely be visiting again myself.
I already miss Costa Rica and Casa 69.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights recently during a short trip to San Jose with a friend. Our flight in was delayed and I was a little concerned that the taxi which we had arranged through the hotel would not wait for us. Thankfully, that wasn't the case!

I had paid for my room and the round-trip airport transfer through Paypal to the hotel before my trip, but there was some confusion when I checked in regarding whether I had paid or not. The hotel has a few staff and I guess this wasn't communicated to the reception staff who checked us in. I had to get the Paypal receipt in my email and show it to the staff to ensure them that I had paid.

I got a junior queen room at $50 a night incl taxes and continental breakfast. Great value if you ask me! My room was clean and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was tiny (like European hotels) but it was ok for two nights. My friend had a bigger room, with a spacious closet and bathroom, and he paid only $54 a night. We didn't think that that was the regular rate (he paid when we arrived) but the staff had offered to give him that room so we could be next door to each other. Quite thoughtful!

Breakfast was simple fare - baguette, fruits, juice and coffee. There was also a hot food menu (eggs, rice with beans etc) if you don't mind paying a few extra dollars. We were pretty happy with the continental breakfast - it was enough to get us going, and the juice was really good!

If you are a light sleeper, this b&b might not be for you. There is a bar next door, so we could hear music until about 12:30am on one night. A railway track is right behind the b&b, and trains start running early in the morning, about 6am or so. Our rooms were on the ground floor, so perhaps we got the brunt of it. I'm not a light sleeper so I wasn't too bothered, but I imagine it can be annoying if you are trying to sleep in or get an early night's rest.

Casa 69 is about a 10min walk from the museums, and the downtown centre of San Jose. It's also down the street from the Nicaraguan embassy, where long lines form every morning. There was a police barricade on our last morning (presumably to keep an eye on the crowds outside the embassy) but the police on duty didn't give us any trouble when we were returning to our hotel and let us through - guess it was obvious we were tourists.

Besides the rooms, the b&b had a lovely breakfast area, living room and rooftop patio. Loads of spaces to chill out in if you didn't feel like staying in your room. The b&b has two dogs and two cats, which I found cute but might be a problem for guests who are allergic. There was also free wi-fi, which was convenient. My friend didn't get a good signal in his room but it was fine in mine.

Safety wasn't an issue - guests would require a code to get in and out of the b&b and there was always a staff member at the reception when we returned late at night.

Would definitely stay at Casa 69 if I return to San Jose again!

• Stayed November 2012
Valencia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Casa 69 for a week. It was a great experience for us being the first time we were in Costa Rica. The place was centrally located, the room was clean, the hotel was beautiful and the price was great!
I also enjoyed the staff and their efforts to make our stay a pleasant one. The staff was very informative about the town and where to go. They were also friendly and at the same time very professional. In concllusion, we will stay again and will recommend it to all my friends.
Thanks again.
Sonia

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Pretty amazing for $50. The rooms are stylish, comfortable and clean. Breakfast is top-notch--fresh fruit, terrific French bread (where do they find it in San Jose?), coffee and juice. You can use their computer in the common area, and make calls at no charge to North America, as well as local calls. I liked the location--was about a 15-minute walk from downtown, and I did not feel that safety was a big concern. If you are there on a Saturday night, try to get a room where the noise from the bar next door will not be as bothersome. During my stay the Canadian owner was not around. Lola, the hotel manager, is helpful and competent, but neither she nor a male employee who were on duty speaks English, which could be a problem for some travellers.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We had a spacious, well decorated and comfortable room. Located 5 or 10 minutes walk from the best museums, shops and restaurants in San Jose. Friendly and helpful staff. I'd definitely stay here again. A big thanks from Scotland.

• Stayed May 2012
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We have booked the place for 2 days. Unfortunately even though they promised to meet us at the airport, no one showed up. The taxi driver had aextremely difficult time finding the place. There is no sign for this place. The very noisy bar is next door - ... How are you suppose to get rest??? The party was going on so we could not even get to the door for at least 15 minutes, with drunk crowds all around. The area is very bad. The drunk guys were urinating right by the taxi in the middle of the street!!!! I was so scared...... As I walked in the noise from the bar did not get any better. I asked for cancellation based just on the outside looks and noise, and then I saw the cats jumping on the counters and in front of our faces, and the one was walking leisurely right accross the back kitchen counter and stove!!!! Right by the bread in the basket and plates and cutlery!!!! Am I suppose to have breakfast there after that???? And I love cats!!!! I did not even have to look at the room, nor did I care if it is good..... It is the picture perfect place (maybe) in the very seedy area of the city. The lady at the counter did not want to even talk about cancellation/refund s "she did not even get paid by ..." and she even named wrong company. She said their computer crashed and she lost 3 days worth of data, but she replied to me 2 days before with confirmation. We switched to the Holiday Inn for just $20 more, but that was heaven compared to this place.... Unfortunately I did not have a camera in hand to snap a pic of cats walking accross the stove.... and by the way - I booked with Expedia.ca .... DO NOT EVER BOOK with Expedia!!!! At $56 it was not the cheapest place, but it is not the value!!! Prices in San Jose, Costa Rica comparable to those of US/Canada. Choose wisely!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your review, however I must say that I am deeply offended by your perceived ideas regarding our Hotel.

Firstly, we are on a small side street in the downtown area. You arrived at night. Many areas of a city will look completely different during the day.

An establishment on the street was hosting a party for Halloween. In Costa Rica, it is illegal to smoke inside of buildings, and with the comfortable temperatures at night, guests from these establishments often go outside. This does not make the area unsafe. In fact I have lived at the Hotel for over a year and a half and have never had a problem and I walk everywhere downtown, even at night.

You came into the Hotel already in a panic. There was nothing I could do to calm you down. All you kept saying was that you were not safe and not staying here.

You talked to Expedia/B&B.com and told them you wanted to leave because the rooms were dirty. You said this even though you refused to look at any of the rooms.

I tried to calm you down and explain that the Hotel is within a walled compound (as are most of houses in Costa Rica), we have a staff on duty 24 hours a day, and the Hotel is locked at night with a controlled access. You could not be safer.

Despite this you were adamant that you could not stay with us as you were unsafe.

You found alternate accommodations and were gone in under 30 minutes.

Your other comments were also based on incorrect conclusion. We do have cats. They are rescues and are in the process of being transferred to our house in the country. They do not however walk around the kitchen amongst the cutlery and the food.

All bread served to our guests is baked first thing each morning. We do not serve left over bread. Secondly all cutlery is cleaned and put away in the drawer after breakfast every day. Every day. Not just some days. We pride ourselves on how clean we keep our Hotel and our reviews reflect this.

When I tell you my computer crashed, that is exactly what happened. My husband was able to assist with the emails and confirmations from a remote location to help offset the problem. That is how we were able to correspond with you a few days before.

I find it unacceptable and offensive that someone could enter our Hotel in a panic, have no true understanding of what is going, come to a series of damning conclusions, refuse to become properly informed, and then decide they are qualified to post a very critical message for all to see, not only about us, but about Expedia/Bed and Breakfast.com who partner to book part of our facility.

I am sorry that you did not like what you saw, but had you taken a few minutes to calm down and become rationale, I have no doubt you would have understood what our clientele have known for many years. We are a very clean, comfortable, service oriented Hotel/B&B and are one of the best values in San Jose.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Casa 69 is a very nice hotel and the staff is friendly. However, its location was a bit disappointment for us as it is situated close to the Embassy of Nicaragua in San Jose where lots of Nicaraguans wait for their visa from very early in the morning. There were quite a few policemen around so it is a safe place... Moreover, I didn't like the street because there was a noisy bar and trains passing very close. Particularly, I do not recommend this hotel to those who suffer from allergy to cats as in the hotel there are lots of cats (very cute ones).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing back from our guests and I would like to address your comments.

There is currently a process ongoing in Costa Rica that requires all citizens of Nicaragua currently living in Costa Rica to register. This program has been going on for several months and is almost complete.Due to our close proximity to the Embassy, the line ups of people sometimes extend towards our property. We have never had any type of incident with the groups waiting, and as you pointed out, it is very safe.

My understanding is that this program will end within the next few weeks, as will the line ups.

The train is a commuter that runs during the day. Our location downtown is excellent for restaurants, museums, shopping and other activities, but you need to take the good with the bad. There will be some noises you cannot avoid. As for the bar, closing the windows in your room will normally eliminate any noises from there. With the cooler nights in San Jose, this is not pose a problem.

I will agree with your comments that the Hotel is nice and the staff is friendly. We work very hard to make our guests stay enjoyable. We receive many comments on how beautiful the Hotel is and the friendliness of the staff.

We have two buildings across the street from each other. The rescue cats are in the main building and never go into the building across the street. Anyone with allergies can stay there and not worry. We will even bring breakfast to their room if they wish. As we now have a home outside the city, some will soon be transferred there.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we would invite you to stay with us again.

Been to Casa 69? Share your experiences!