“Bog standard city centre hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown to your Saves list
Booking.com Orbitz.com
Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 3 entre calles 9 y San Jose | Costado Oeste del Parque Morazán, San Jose 1655 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #29 of 85 hotels in San Jose
East Preston, United Kingdom
“Bog standard city centre hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Firstly, San Jose is not a very nice city. It is a typical concrete capital but seems to have major issues of cleanliness with rubbish being discarded everywhere. There is a distinct lack of remotely up-market restaurants, although plenty of MacDonalds, etc, and very little to do in the daytime other than walk around the shops.

We found the prostitutes (women and lady-boys) congregating around the nearby square to be intriguing (at least from our A/C taxi window), but not sure that this is a memory that you would want to take away with you from Costa Rica. Best to avoid that area at night, although we did not feel unsafe on the main shopping areas at any time of day or night.

The Sleep Inn was one of two hotels used by our group (the other being the Gran Hotel), and most likely one of only two decent hotels in the city! Whilst the Gran Hotel has 1930's character, this place could have been an anonymous Holiday Inn virtually anywhere. There was nothing really to fault the place, but it had nothing really to recommend it other than the proximity (45 minute drive) to the airport.

The room was spacious with a huge double bed, sofa, safe and fridge, together with separate bathroom with bath and shower - actually the only shower that was worthy of the name on our whole trip.

Breakfast was adequate, with a range of fresh fruit as you would expect, cereals (which we didn't try) and cooked options including the expected local rice and beans.

Wi-Fi was apparently available with a code from reception, but I felt should have been automatically given free. However, there were three PCs in the reception area available for use by guests. The "@" may take some finding on the Costa Rican keyboard!

One downside was the regular bells in the night, rung every half hour on the side of a nearby municipal building. It wasn't even a clock, so not sure what use it was apart from annoying visitors!

Room Tip: Choose one in the Gran Hotel instead. If you have to stay here, try to get one away from the bells!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have always regarded "Sleep Inn" as one of those cheap imitations of a hotel and not up to my standard. OK, I admit I'm a snob but having spent most of my life traveling for a living I have my standards, and they are high. I had seen this hotel and ads for it several times but never thought of staying there, particularly when I have a favorite hotel in the city. But a few nights ago my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give this hotel a try.

I have to say that everything was great with the possible exception of the breakfast which was adequate but nothing special. The room was clean and fresh. The bathroom was spotless and the shower had plenty of hot water. The hotel staff were all very nice including the night porter at the gate who kept calling out to me "How are you my friend" every time I went to my car in the very safe parking lot.

I always take a sound machine in my suit case to combat the noise of other guests, but on this occasion I did not use it. There was no noise coming through the walls and even though my window was on a very busy street I heard absolutely nothing as I slept in the super-comfortable bed. They must have triple glazing in the windows.

Next time I will probably go back to my favorite hotel but I will always know that I can count on Sleep Inn for excellent quality in San Jose.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Mr.

Thank you so much for your comments, its great to know than you took the decision to give us the opportunity to serve to you during your last stay in San José, your comments are really important to us, and we are proud to let you know than even when you already like our hotel, we are improving some areas like the lobby and the next step will be the rooms.

We hope to have the chance to serve to you again soon, we going to have a better product and maybe this changes make us your favorite hotel in San José, thank you for your kindly attention, have a nice day.
Quepos, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Everything was clean, staff were friendly and went out of thier way to accomadate our family. Some of the extra attention included -putting a sheet on our baby's crib, getting a high chair from the casino...very friendly! We would definitely stay again. the location is another plus, easy walk to most sights downtown!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir.

Thank you for your comments, we are proud of our service and its really important to us, to know you like our efforts to make your stay unforgettable, we´ll be waiting for you and your family on your next visit to San José, and you will find a few changes in our product, because we are now improving our lobby and rooms, thank you once again and we wish you an excellent 2013.
Fort Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I Have been Staying Here for 8 years 3 to 6 times average.The staff has changed.There is only 2 here now that have been here for the duration.Its noticeable in the service.My shower was broken this time.Breakfast sometimes if you come late can be dried out.Its best to go early.I love the shuttle driver.he goes out of his way to help you.If you like being close to the action .its close here.Theres a great sports bar around the corner.Food good and you dont have to deal with the mess at the Marlin Bar.

Room Tip: Get a room off the parking lot.Weekends.Week Days stay off the from main street.Buses start early.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Good Hotel in downtown. Attentive staff and clean rooms. Nice breakfast. Employees speak good English. They would do your laundry and make a good drink for you at the casino bar. It's a gated property located in a rather shady area, but not far from nice restaurants and bars.

• Stayed November 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed in several hotels around San Jose and most of them are in areas not worth the money. The problem in San Jose is that it is a typical downtown city in a Latin American country, full of people and not all of them with good intentions. Tourists stick out like sore thumbs and if you decide to walk around, it can get a bit tedious having many of the people asking for money or offering watches, sunglasses, tobacco, etc. You can only walk safely during the day anyway, so staying in an area where you can feel somewhat safer is important and the Sleep Inn is that place. The property is gated and there is a casino located on premises. They offer taxi services that help if you do not want to go out into the street to find one, especially at night. The rooms are excellent, room service is good and the free breakfast is awesome. Don't be looking for any kind of views from the hotel because it is located in a downtown area, but I'm not there to look out my window. The Mall San Pedro is close and so are several other things, but taxis are inexpensive if going a bit further. The Sleep Inn is not cheap per say, but it's worth the little extra, believe me...

Room Tip: All rooms are fine.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was ok being at this Hotel lats August. Rooms: OK: clean, yeah, was ok; Breakfast: ok, plenty...BUT the scrambleg eggs were a little green at the borders of the pan, so they might like to change that! Client Service: ok, not that they were particularly kind, just ok. Turism advisor: not always available. The person attending was sometimes absent. The system was down: nevertheless, I got good service and advise from the person. Location is good if you want to be near downtown (teather, cathedral, museum, etc..), the "zona peatonal, ( I mean, the walking streeets where a lot of stores and food places and busines are) and the zoo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown? Share your experiences!