Firstly, San Jose is not a very nice city. It is a typical concrete capital but seems to have major issues of cleanliness with rubbish being discarded everywhere. There is a distinct lack of remotely up-market restaurants, although plenty of MacDonalds, etc, and very little to do in the daytime other than walk around the shops.
We found the prostitutes (women and lady-boys) congregating around the nearby square to be intriguing (at least from our A/C taxi window), but not sure that this is a memory that you would want to take away with you from Costa Rica. Best to avoid that area at night, although we did not feel unsafe on the main shopping areas at any time of day or night.
The Sleep Inn was one of two hotels used by our group (the other being the Gran Hotel), and most likely one of only two decent hotels in the city! Whilst the Gran Hotel has 1930's character, this place could have been an anonymous Holiday Inn virtually anywhere. There was nothing really to fault the place, but it had nothing really to recommend it other than the proximity (45 minute drive) to the airport.
The room was spacious with a huge double bed, sofa, safe and fridge, together with separate bathroom with bath and shower - actually the only shower that was worthy of the name on our whole trip.
Breakfast was adequate, with a range of fresh fruit as you would expect, cereals (which we didn't try) and cooked options including the expected local rice and beans.
Wi-Fi was apparently available with a code from reception, but I felt should have been automatically given free. However, there were three PCs in the reception area available for use by guests. The "@" may take some finding on the Costa Rican keyboard!
One downside was the regular bells in the night, rung every half hour on the side of a nearby municipal building. It wasn't even a clock, so not sure what use it was apart from annoying visitors!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Sleep Inn San Jose Down town is conveniently located in the heart of the city, only fifteen kilometers from the Juan Santamaria International Airport. It is only a short distance from tourist attractions like the Teatro Nacional, Museo de Jade, Museo de Oro, parks that are part of our national heritage, and many others.Our guests can start the day with a complimentary full American buffet breakfast, from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown Hotel San Jose
- San Jose Sleep Inn
- Sleep Inn San Jose Costa Rica
- Sleep Inn Costa Rica
- Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown Costa Rica