“Guys it will cost an arm and leg to stay here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown

You added Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown to your Saves list
Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 3 entre calles 9 y San Jose | Costado Oeste del Parque Morazán, San Jose 1655 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #32 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Parker
“Guys it will cost an arm and leg to stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least six times when in Costa Rica. It is clear now that this American Brand hotel does not want the business of the traveler indulging in the "Pura Vida" of Costa Rica. The hotel is now charging an unreasonable fee to bring a "guest" to your room. This trip, me and my buddy gladly checked out after one night and move to a guest friendly hotel, costing the Sleep Inn over $800 in room reservations for their $35 per guest fee. Your hotel is next to the most famous night spot in Costa Rica. You have no problem running a casino which is another legal activity. However, this "guest fee" is a reason that tourist wanting to stay near the night life find another hotel.

Yes, it is clean, the staff is helpful and friendly, conforms to American standards, but guys it will cost you an arm and leg to have any fun here. Stay elsewhere. The place still can not get free hotel wide wireless internet either.

Room Tip: If you love horn honking get a room with a odd number...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

We hope you are well, its good to know that you like our hotel, thanks God we have an excellent product in the heart of the city, as you mentioned we have a $35 charge to take visitors to the rooms, this is a policy of the hotel in order to offer a safety place to all our guests, and nice enviroment for all our visitors, everybody are welcome to stay at our hotel, so we hope you change your mind about the cost, we are sure than our rates are excellent for an excellent product we offer, thank you for your kindly attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed in San Jose for a short, one night visit before heading to the Arenal Volcano Region. The Sleep Inn is a very American style hotel, similar to a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn in the US. The rooms have everything you need but there are no frills. We had a comfortable stay.

The front desk staff was very kind and helpful during our time at the Sleep Inn. The hotel also provides guests with complimentary breakfast.

If you are looking for a nearby restaurant recommendation, I highly recommend eating at La Esquina de Buenos Aires, an Argentine restaurant just a few blocks form the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
North Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed at this hotel the day of my arrival in Costa Rica and then one more day before departing from the country. The location is excellent: near the pedestrial walk, the Theatre, the Gold museum, stores, etc. The hotel is secure by being gated and I did not feel that the area was unsafe.
The rooms are roomy, clean, good bathrooms, nice beds and TV with several channels being offered.
The breakfast is good, although not luxurious.
As for the staff, it is uneven. Some front desk staff are unattentive and do not seem to be happy to be there, while others are pleasant.
One piece of advice though: be careful when choosing a room. The first time I stayed there I had a room on the third floor on the even numbered side and had a wonderful sleep, faced the parking area and it was really quiet. However, the next time I stayed there I was given a room on the odd numbered side on the same third floor and faced the street. It was noisy from all the traffic and even worse, I could hear the music from some type of bar, dance hall, thumping until after 2:30 in the morning. I did not have much sleep inspite of using ear plugs, which were not enough. Other guests on the same side in nearby rooms complained of the same thing. Moral: only get rooms that even numbered!

Room Tip: Choose even numbered rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Pompano Beach Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed at this hotel 2 times, only 5 days from each other. The first time, checking in on Nov.24th, 2011 was very pleasant. The Front Desk Clerks were professional & polite. Offering help or information.

Just 5 days later. checking in on Nov. 30th, 2011 this hotel had changed. When I checked in, this clerk was rude & just handed the room key. When I got the room, it was only a king bed room. I had reserved a Suite, with sitting area/sofa. I needed the sitting area, as I had planned to private business meeting with a banker. (IE: not info I wanted to talk about in the lobby)
I went back downstairs to explain that I needed the suite. I was told they didn't have that type of room available. I explained to the clerk that I needed that sitting area for a meeting. She then told me that I was not allowed to take guests to my room. I explained again, that it was a personal business meeting & that I did not want to conduct that meeting in the lobby. She told me I could not have a larger room & that I would have to pay her $35. to have a guest in my room.

After re-explaining to the clerk, that I was not willing to pay a bribe or conduct a personal meeting in the lobby, then she told me that she was "sick of talking to me" & that I could have 30 minutes in the room for a meeting. but the room I had reserved was not available.

The way I was treated at this hotel was unprofessional. a joke.
WiFi only works in the lobby.

The hotel is not in a nice area. it is very rough, lots of homeless & drugs. Maybe this hotel should rent rooms by the hour.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Every time I get a chance to stay in San Jose I just stay at the Sleep Inn. I have tried several other places, but nothing comes close and most other places are either more expensive or you get what you pay for if you go cheap. The Sleep Inn is located in a perfect spot, safe, well protected, has two casinos (One smokeless and one regular), excellent rooms, excellent room service and just the best overall for the price. It's not exactly cheap to stay there, but comparable with the going rate for decent hotels in the area. When I have the funds, I stay there...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011 via mobile

San Jose is not a pretty town, and the Sleep Inn is no exception. It has a small casino on premises, and a definite feel that not everyone in the hotel is a reregistered guest. Not a pay by the hour place, but not a family feel either. The rooms are clean and reasonably maintained though. The breakfast is average but not particularly disappointing. The front desk service is quite good.

The wireless internet only works in the lobby and the three computers they provide are often in use for long periods. Facebook huh!

If you are transiting through San Jose, the Hotel Presidente and Hotel Balmoral are close by and probably a little nicer (we also stayed at Presidente and dined at Balmoral). But unless there are specific San Jose sites or restaurants you want to visit, consider staying a little out of the actual downtown area. The Crowne Plaza is a little nicer and still close to downtown, or there are nicer hotels between downtown and the airport, eg Holiday Inn Express for a budget place, or the Intercontinental for 5 star.

• Stayed July 2011
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Good afternoon,

Our hotel is a really nice place to stay, we have the newest building in Downtown San José and a big list of satisfied customers who stay with us once and again because of the kindly service we offer, for the next days we´ll be working in set up the wi fi internet connection in all the hotel rooms, in order to improve the service for all our customers.

We have two casinos, one casino its across the parking lot, so the people who visit the casino and not staying at the hotel have no access to the hotel lobby or rooms, also we have a no smoking casino inside the hotel, with a kindly and friendly atmosphere exclusively for the hotel customers.

Next time you visit San José please give us the opportunity to show you the excellent service we are offering, and also the excellent option in food & beverages we have at the Magnolia Restaurant, thank you for your comments, give us the chance to make the things better for everyone.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This is, in fact, a very good hotel. It is part of the U.S. based "Choice Hotels" group and is maintained to their standards. It's not perfect, but then what hotel is? The rooms are well maintained and if there is ever a problem, the maintenance staff will, no doubt, fix it promptly. Shampoo, conditioner and body lotion are supplied daily as are plenty of fluffy white towels.

I have stayed at this hotel several times and like the fact that I can always count on a certain international standard of cleanliness and comfort when staying there. The water pressure is always good and hot water comes from the shower quickly any time of day or night.

There is an ice machine on the first floor and a washer and dryer are provided for guests to use on the second floor and cost $1.00 each. U.S. quarters needed to operate the machines (4 for each one) are provided at the front desk and a package of washing powder will be given to you. A small gym is located on the ground floor.

A free breakfast buffet is provided daily to guests. It consists of scrambled eggs, some kind of breakfast meat and of course pinto the national dish (rice and beans). There is always fresh fruit, cereal and yogurt, toast, juice and all the good Costa Rican coffee you can drink. While it can get monotonous if staying several days, it nevertheless does meet a basic daily requirement at no extra charge. It would be nice if they had a kiosk where eggs were made to order, but this hotel has always operated with the buffet since I have been staying there.

There are 3 computers for guest use located in the lobby. One drawback of the hotel is that they do not offer wi-fi in the guest rooms which seems inexcusable for a quality hotel in the 21st century! An ethernet cable can be rented for $7.00 per day if internet use is required in the room.

A free airport shuttle bus is provided for hotel guests

The location is very secure inside a fenced compound in downtown San Jose. Security personnel are always vigilant 24 hours a day. The hotel has a small casino, but if you want to go over to the much larger Colonial Casino you can do so without having one drop of rain hit you as an awning covers the walkway between the two buildings. The Colonial Casino is a good place to play craps or a card game, but be advised it is EXTREMELY smoky. It seems as if everyone in the place is puffing a cigarette. The hotel's own small casino is smoke free!

Another thing to consider is that the hotel is in very close proximity to the Hotel del Rey which hosts yet another casino, plus the notorious Blue Marlin bar and perhaps hundreds of working girls. So it is not unusual to see a hotel guest taking a girl from the del Rey to his room at the Sleep Inn. The hotel, while not banning the practice which would be shooting themselves in the foot, tries to limit the practice by imposing a $35.00 guest fee to the already pricy room fee. C'est la vie!

All in all I would rate this a very good hotel with a courteous English speaking front desk staff who are knowledgeable and eager to assist with anything you may have need of. I will not hesitate to book this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
ASMCR, Staff at Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Hello Mr.
Thank you for your recommendation. We are going to try to apply your sugestions in the hotel.

For us is a pleasure to assist you everytime you come to the hotel , and here the staff of Sleep Inn San José Downtown, we are always working hard to offer to our clients a satisfying stay in Costa Rica.

Have a great day, and we hope to see you again in Sleep Inn San José Downtown hotel.

Best Regards,

Staff Sleep Inn San José, Costa Rica.

Been to Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown? Share your experiences!