“UNIQUE & AMAZING VIEW” 5 of 5 stars

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st. 3-3 bis, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Maryland
“UNIQUE & AMAZING VIEW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Hostel Pangea is the first hostel I slept in Costa Rica with my friends. When we arrived, the outside looking of the building was terrible! But once you entered the place. You are in WHOLE ANOTHER planet! BEAUTIFUL and very CREATIVE place! simple and comfortable! Down-to-earth people. I HIGHLY recommend this hostel for people who are down to earth and have a budget. I would def go there again when I'm in Costa Rica!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

The rooms were nice enough and the staff were friendly. However, we overpaid for our private room with bath and they stuck us beside the office. Our windows were right next to the bar. The music did not stop playing at 12pm (as promised). The staff kept playing it all night long. The kept the lights on in the hallways and the curtains were inadequate. I was not happy considering I had to be up at 5am to catch a bus. At least the shower was hot. This place may be good for an 18 year old who is just looking to party.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Martinique
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

This is the worst time i ve had in a hostel.. Staff were so rude, playing loud hippiesque music in loop for 4 hours then tried to charge me 8 dollars for keeping my bag in the luggage room from 11 am to 1.30 pm because normally it s free of charge only between 11 am and 1 pm.. The only good thing was the bar on the roof top but it was deserted, no ambiance as most people spend a night here and then leave as soon as they can so obviously there s no party going on ! and the drinks were ridiculously overpriced at 2 dollars for a small beer. No lockers in the room and no doors on the showers !

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Divonne-les-Bains, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

Perfect hostel to stay in, very safe (guarded 24/7), swimming pool, great food, cheap airport shuttle and good rooms with ac

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Santa Fe, NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We arrived to find that our reservation (with deposit online) was lost They put my boyfriend and I in a room with a bunk bed after we had reserved a double bed room. After 20 minutes and a room change later (thanks to the nice lady at the front desk) we finally had our room. A small box without a window!! A bed in the corner and the thinnest walls that backed up to the bar...hence blasting music all night long! Someone was walking around yelling for people at 4 in the morning because they had reserved the airport shuttle bus. There is construction going on on both sides of our rooms. Blasting music and heavy equipment being used at 7 in the morning. A horrible experience overall. I'm sure that for $50 (our room plus the airport shuttle) you can find something MUCH better!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I had planned on only staying at Pangea for the first part of my stay in San Jose but had such a good time and met such nice people decided to go back and extend my stay. Very engaging people from all over the world, but if you are looking for a quiet time its probably not the place for you. All in all had a great time. I found the staff to be hopeful and friendly. I would note that I accidentally left my wallet on the bar, and didnt realize it. When I came back about an hour later the bartender had it waiting for me.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

It´s my third time passing through San Jose and was worried I´d never find a decent hostel, as the last hostel I stayed at was right beside some train tracks and there was never any peace! Sleeping was impossible there! So I was really relieved to get to Hostel Panea and find it clean and fun, with lots of great amenities. The rooms are pretty clean, the staff are reasonably friendly, and the food is great! Definitely a deal at $12/night, I would recommend Hostel Pangea to anyone passing through San Jose!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!