I have actually stayed here on couple different occasions - most recently August of 2013. For $10 a night in the mixed dorm you get everything you could possibly expect from a hostel. Decent bed, sheets, pillow, towel, warm showers***, decent wifi, free coffee in the morning, and there is even a bar on site (with nightly drink specials). It's located downtown and is close to all the bus terminals, and several markets.
The crowds have always been a bit of a mix, young enough to keep things lively - but mature enough to not be obnoxious. The staff is what really makes this better than the rest - they have a full cleaning crew, kitchen attendants, and bartenders. The front desk staff is the best I've seen. Multilingual, extremely polite, and very knowledgeable.
This is a HOSTEL people! and my review is based on that. Other reviews might be more critical, and mine would of too - if I was expecting it to be a HOTEL! If you want hotel-like accommodations spend $60-$70 bucks and stay at a hotel. If you want a well run Hostel, in the heart of town, frequented by many friendly travelers, pony up the $10 and crash here for a while. It's laid back, and everyone is helpful and very friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 budget hostel and meeting spot for travelers in San Jose, Costa Rica and Lonely Planet readers' favorite since 2001. We have excellent reviews from guide books and on internet. Come and meet people from all around the world in our little slice of paradise, swap stories ! Catch the sun in our tropical garden, swim in the pool and don`t miss the happy hour at the "BAR-PACKERS" at 5pm!ALL FREE - internet (7 computers), wifi, coffee & tea; kitchen facilities (save money cook for yourself), parking, storage.TOP FACILITIES - Biggest pool & garden in San Jose, sunbathing, cable tv, international phone calls, hot showers, laundry service, tour desk, 24-hr security. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, HostelWorld, HostelBookers and Odigeo so you can book your Costa Rica Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Costa Rica Backpackers Hotel San Jose
- Costa Rica Backpackers San Jose