“Best hostel in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Backpackers

Save Saved
You added Costa Rica Backpackers to your Saves list
Costa Rica Backpackers
Avenida 6, calle 21/23 | De la iglesia Sagrado Corazon, 100 metros norte, 50 oeste., San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Toronto, Canada
“Best hostel in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed at the end of my Costa Rican adventure in December and it was easily the best hostel I experienced during my whole journey in Costa Rica. Other travellers that I met recommended me this place and I just have to say that they were absolutely right!

Good and safe location (do not choose downtown hostels, it's too dangerous), close to everything you may need as supermarkets, restaurants, cinemas, museums, malls, bus stations etc... Costa Rica Backpackers is the most popular place in town!
Very clean, the staff was nice and helpful. I had a private room which was spacious and well decorated for only $32. Dorms looked nice too and much cheaper (from $11). There was a beautiful garden (a real one!) with a bean shaped pool, an outdoor and well equipped kitchen in case you dont wanna spend money in restaurants or travelling with kids. There is also a good but cheap bar-restaurant (I specially recommend the caribbean chicken!). I loved the outdoor bar where everybody use to gather from happy hour to midnight for cheap drinks.
The internet was good and wifi was available everywhere. There is a tour desk and you can buy with no stress your departure tax for $32, saving one hour line at the airport. The shuttle service to the airport was fine and cheaper than a normal cab.
During my three days stay I heard no complains from the people who stayed there. This hostel is a must if you go to San Jose.

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed twice in Costa Rica backpackers and its an ok hostel. They have heaps of rooms so turning up early in the day you're almost guaranteed to get a bed. They have a big, well equipped kitchen for cooking your own food and large grounds with heaps of places for lounging around. The attached bar/restaurant has come cheap-ish food on offer. Location is fairly central and only a 5 min walk to city centre and 10 min walk to the market. Not much atmosphere here as everyone only stays for a night or two at the start/end of their trip so turnover is really high.

PRO's
- big well equipped kitchen that's clean
- spacious dorms with lockers
- nice pool for swimming
- close to town and San Pedro mall (has cinema)

CON's
- not much atmosphere
- bunks are really wobbly so your bunk buddy will wake you up as they move around
- no charging points in dorms

All in all a convenient place to spend the night in San Jose.

Abilene, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Nice place but price was pretty steep for a hostel. Three of us paid $65 for a room with bathroom. We were tired and needed a place to stay and really wanted to get some sun so we opted to stay because of the pool. The water was too cold to enjoy so we just enjoyed the pool from outside. Very friendly and helpful staff. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
CRBackpackers, Owner at Costa Rica Backpackers, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hello dear customers,

Costa Rica Backpackers only charges $32 for a double, this comment is inappropriate, we encourage tripadviser to ckeck people commenting on accommations if they are true customers.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have stayed here first one night and they were helpful with booking a trip for the next day. When we came back to this hostel we wanted to stay two nights and the reception told us we could only book for one night and if we wanted to stay another night we have to go to the reception the next morning to book another night. Very strange and not friendly at all. In the end they were happy to book 2 nights in a row.
After a few days we came back to this hostel again, and we had made booking with the reception the last time we left. When we arrived they didn't have a room for us, since we hadn't booked online. Even though we had booked it face to face. We were not happy and therefore we didn't want to stay and went across the road to a different hostel. (in this hostel the service was really good and there was breakfast included)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hostel is fine, nothing special but nothing wrong with it either.
I stayed in a private room in the basement which was really spacious. It looked like it was the only room in the basement with a window to the outside. I'm not 100% sure about this though.
It was comfortable and had a double and a single bed in it.
I didn't find the people on reception particulary helpful. I was ignored for about 15 minutes while standing at reception just to ask where the local supermarket was!
The pool was pretty cold, I only managed to dip my toes in!
There is a train track right behind the hostel and when a train goes past, you have to stop conversing as it's too loud to hear the person you're chatting with!
There are 2 bars (I have no idea why as one had no one in it any time I went in!). One serves food which is pretty average. Nothing to write home about.
I found the bars to be pretty expensive. Not your usual hostel prices.
They sell chocolate bars and the like at reception and they are totally over priced!
They also sell departure tax at reception for $32. It's only $28 at the airport so I thought that was a bit cheeky!
I got my laundry done here. $2 per kg. A bit more expensive than other places but ok.
It's a decent location though and handy for a couple of days in San Jose. And a couple of days is more than enough!
Also, there is luggage storage which is great if you are carrying too much! I was as I had clothes for different climates and it was great to be able to leave them behind and pick them up again before my flight. Be warned though, if you don't stay there when you go back, they charge you $5 per night to store your luggage. That's fair enough but just make sure you're staying another night!
In general, I found that everything here was a bit more expensive than other hostels in Costa Rica. I felt like they were trying to rip travellers off a bit. That left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed here in a double private room for two nights in mid-november and liked it. The place has a real big kitchen with all you might need, so you can cook if you don'y fancy eating outside. I'd love to so that if we didn't just have two nights. The beds are not comfy at all, but you can handle that for a couple of nites.
Location is good; takes 5 minutes to walk downtown, and it's really safe around, since there are a couple of governmental offices around.
The staff is very nice and friendly, helping you with anything you may need.
The only lousy thing is that the music gets too loud at the bar next door after 9 pm, and if you'll be up early, it might be kinda painful..so have your ear plugs handy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I arrived in San Jose after dark so pretty much just wanted to get behind closed doors! My driver couldn't find the hostel I was after so we ended up here.
The staff are ok but not very friendly. It seems like a chore when you ask them anything. This applies for reception, bar and restaurant.
I was in a 4 bed dorm which was clean and had a comfy bed but there was no fan, AC or even a window to open so it was a bit claustrophobic.
It's very noisy here, not so much hostel noise but lots of street noise.
Not bad but a bit pricey for what and where it is.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Costa Rica Backpackers? Share your experiences!