“An average hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Backpackers

Save Saved
You added Costa Rica Backpackers to your Saves list
Costa Rica Backpackers
Avenida 6, calle 21/23 | De la iglesia Sagrado Corazon, 100 metros norte, 50 oeste., San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Dublin, Ireland
“An average hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hostel is fine, nothing special but nothing wrong with it either.
I stayed in a private room in the basement which was really spacious. It looked like it was the only room in the basement with a window to the outside. I'm not 100% sure about this though.
It was comfortable and had a double and a single bed in it.
I didn't find the people on reception particulary helpful. I was ignored for about 15 minutes while standing at reception just to ask where the local supermarket was!
The pool was pretty cold, I only managed to dip my toes in!
There is a train track right behind the hostel and when a train goes past, you have to stop conversing as it's too loud to hear the person you're chatting with!
There are 2 bars (I have no idea why as one had no one in it any time I went in!). One serves food which is pretty average. Nothing to write home about.
I found the bars to be pretty expensive. Not your usual hostel prices.
They sell chocolate bars and the like at reception and they are totally over priced!
They also sell departure tax at reception for $32. It's only $28 at the airport so I thought that was a bit cheeky!
I got my laundry done here. $2 per kg. A bit more expensive than other places but ok.
It's a decent location though and handy for a couple of days in San Jose. And a couple of days is more than enough!
Also, there is luggage storage which is great if you are carrying too much! I was as I had clothes for different climates and it was great to be able to leave them behind and pick them up again before my flight. Be warned though, if you don't stay there when you go back, they charge you $5 per night to store your luggage. That's fair enough but just make sure you're staying another night!
In general, I found that everything here was a bit more expensive than other hostels in Costa Rica. I felt like they were trying to rip travellers off a bit. That left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed here in a double private room for two nights in mid-november and liked it. The place has a real big kitchen with all you might need, so you can cook if you don'y fancy eating outside. I'd love to so that if we didn't just have two nights. The beds are not comfy at all, but you can handle that for a couple of nites.
Location is good; takes 5 minutes to walk downtown, and it's really safe around, since there are a couple of governmental offices around.
The staff is very nice and friendly, helping you with anything you may need.
The only lousy thing is that the music gets too loud at the bar next door after 9 pm, and if you'll be up early, it might be kinda painful..so have your ear plugs handy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I arrived in San Jose after dark so pretty much just wanted to get behind closed doors! My driver couldn't find the hostel I was after so we ended up here.
The staff are ok but not very friendly. It seems like a chore when you ask them anything. This applies for reception, bar and restaurant.
I was in a 4 bed dorm which was clean and had a comfy bed but there was no fan, AC or even a window to open so it was a bit claustrophobic.
It's very noisy here, not so much hostel noise but lots of street noise.
Not bad but a bit pricey for what and where it is.

• Stayed December 2012
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights. It is the best place to arrive in San Jose. My flight was arriving late in the evening and I got the taxi driver to pick me up at the airport than drive me to the backpacker in domwtown area they have nice pool, bars, kitchen, anything that you need in place . Great to meet new peoples and find some plans to go explore the country.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Spent 3 nights here, great place to meet people, has kitchen that i very handy for the travellers, hot showers, clean, neat and good size rooms. If you spend 3 nights here you can get the 4 for free....I met some really nice companion travellers here & we swapped stories over a few drinks...should give this one ago..the hospitally was very helpful with knowledge of San Jose & surrounding areas..they can also arrange tours if needed & shuttle bus to the airport..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Avignon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. We met many backpackers... Staff was there to answer and help with anything you have asked of him. The rooms were clean, walking distance to anything in the downtown area. I highly recommend this place...The best is the bar and the pool with his tropical garden in the night...Friendly and very cheap! ;-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Trout, Louisiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Basement smells musty. The rooms are even worse. My room and my friends room both had black bugs approx 1 cm long. Was able to move to a different room on a different floor, which is better, however staff was not very apologetic. They were accomodating but did not seem concerned.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, do not stay on the basement floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
CRBackpackers, Owner at Costa Rica Backpackers, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello dear guest,

We actually fumigated the hostel yesterday, as a result bugs were running around and dying, this is probably why you saw some... we are very sorry about what happened but we live in a tropical country and from time to time we have to fumigate.

regards
Vincent

Been to Costa Rica Backpackers? Share your experiences!