“Enjoyed our stay at Adventure Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adventure Inn

You added Adventure Inn to your Saves list
Adventure Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ciudad Cariari, Autopista General Canas | Between San Jose and SJO Airport, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
Book direct - 15% off!
Ranked #2 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, Canada
“Enjoyed our stay at Adventure Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

We enjoyed our stays at Adventure Inn. It was recommended to us by our daughter who joined us with her family, on the way to southern C.R. My wife and I stayed again on our return trip.
The quiet friendly Inn was a welcome surprise compared to our previous stays at the airport hotels.At the Inn we felt more at home and less "processed" than at the chain hotels. And the location is not far from the airport at all.
The owners are obviously pouring money back into their premises-as- they- can, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere with various balconies , infinity pool , hot tubs and wading pools spread out in different locations and surrounded by local decor , both authentic and inspired-by.
I easily forgot the highway a short distance away and the fact that we were somehow nestled next to a suburb. It was a world apart as I ventured through interesting hallways of Aztec styled sculptures and discovered a couple having a coffee on a quiet balcony. They were soaking up the last morning in C.R. before their flight back to reality .
The service was extremely efficient. Every detail that I was concerned about turned out to have been taken care of before I asked. Even the free shuttle was waiting for me and not the other way round.
The free breakfast was good and our dinner was tasty and surprisingly well priced.
So I'm glad I stayed. Everyone has their own tastes , but I don't think you'd go wrong by giving it a try.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I knew when I arrived that I was at the wrong place. I had a confirmed reservation for 3 weeks with an email confirmation from the owner, Eric, but when I arrived they had no record of any reservation! I did end up in a small room with no windows and a loud wall a/c unit - not the nice. cozy room with a jacuzzi that I was promised. The food and service in the restaurant were sub-par and they allowed smoking in the restaurant which is a violation of national law. The fixtures in the bathroom looked like they were from the 1920's and the hot water was not working the morning I left, so I took a cold shower before heading to the airport. My "breakfast to-go" consisted of a dry, smelly piece of ham and two pieces of crusty bread! If you can, avoid this place at all costs!

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
AdventureInn, Manager at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
It is true that we did make a mistake on this person's reservation. We had him reserved for a Jacuzzi room, however one of our receptionists erroneously switched him to a regular room and we didn't realize it until after he had arrived - at which point all of our Jacuzzi rooms were occupied and the guests were already checked in. I personally apologized to him and offered him a free dinner as well as refunding him about 25% off his room rate. He ate two full entres, consumed four drinks and had four other bottled waters to go, but even still, we charged him nothing in an attempt to keep him happy and rectify our mistake.

As for the people smoking in the restaurant, it is not against Costa Rican law to smoke inside, however we opted to be a smoke-free hotel two years ago and do not allow smoking anywhere in the building, including the restaurant/bar area. Because our brand new outdoor pool and patio area is open-air to the bar and restaurant, some people stood in the doorway and breezes carried their cigarette smoke indoors. Today we just bought all of our new pool patio furniture so smokers have a place to sit away from the restaurant, and this should solve the problem.

Regarding his cold water shower, we just went and tested it out and it came out scorching hot. Perhaps this guest was turning on the wrong tap or he didn't give it enough time to warm up.

As for the free take-out breakfast that we volunteered to give him before 6 am, yet he was disappointed, our food is quite fresh, and the reason it was dry is because we make the sandwiches the night before and do not put mustard and mayonnaise on them to prevent them from getting soggy. Instead we provide packets of these condiments in the the take-out box, which he failed to mention. However, we are working on improving our take-out breakfasts.
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I just returned from a week in Costa Rica and spent my last night at the Adventure Inn. My boyfriend and I had an 8am flight, so we wanted to stay near the airport. After reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to book the Adventure Inn. What a mistake! The hotel was below-average (I'd give it a 2 star rating) and was filled with flying cockroaches of all sizes. Yes, I understand that we were in Costa Rica, a country filled with insects, however, none of our other hotels we stayed at (including one directly in the rain forest) had any cockroaches. It was disgusting, there were alive and dead cockroaches everywhere in the hotel (the lobby, the pool, the hot tub, the gym, our room). We had to put a towel under our hotel room so the cockroaches wouldn't come in. The pool was the worst, there were about 50 dead cockroaches floating on one end of the pool. The other downside to this hotel is the location, there is absolutely nothing around. The only places within walking distance are an AMPM and a mall (which is about a 20 minute walk). So you are pretty much forced to eat at the hotel restaurant, which we decided not to do after seeing all the cockroaches in this hotel.

And to top everything off, the breakfast was such a disappointment. We were told that an unlimited breakfast buffet was included and started at 6am. We had to leave for the airport at 6:15am, but the staff assured us we would have plenty of time to eat. In the morning, the restaurant where breakfast was served was closed. When we asked when it would open, the staff said someone did not show up, so we would have to wait. At 6:15am, still closed, so the staff made us "breakfast" to go, containing of some fruit and a sandwich (stale bread, one piece of ham and a slice of american cheese), which had a bug on it, not a big surprise. Let's just say we were happy to get out of there and will not be returning. I would rather splurge and spend an extra $20 to stay at the Holiday Inn Express, which is A LOT cleaner, 2 mins from the airport and next to a casino and other restaurants.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
AdventureInn, Manager at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
I don't remember the last time that I saw a cockroach in our hotel. What this reviewer saw were not cockroaches, but fat flying June bugs, which come out for about three weeks at the end of Costa Rica's dry season all over the Central Valley. Had they left the hotel and walked around the neighborhood, they would have realized that this is quite natural in our area, welcome to travel! We try to keep the critters out as much as possible, however much of the hotel is open to the outside air and the June bugs can fly right in. Our pool is completely outdoor, and with the pool lights on, they are attracted to it. However, due to comments like this, it is evident that we need our staff to do a better job at night keeping them out of the hotel. I have instructed our guards to walk around with a broom and dust pan and pick them up all over the hotel and also clean them out of the pool with a net on a regular basis.

We also sincerely apologize for the terrible breakfast. Even though we offer a full American / Tico breakfast form 6 to 10 am, we volunteer to make a special take-out breakfast for those who have an earlier flight and request one. In the past few days we have received a few comments about the quality of our take-out breakfast being sub-par, so because of this, we are having a meeting with all of our restaurant staff on Monday to rectify the situation. We also recently hired a full-time professional chef to take control of the restaurant and make sure that we receive no more of these types of comments about the restaurant. It won't happen again.
Hugo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I have been to Costa Rica many times as I have family who have relocated there. i am always looking for a nice place to stay on arrival and especially the night before I depart as my trips tend to be strenuous to say the least. I am so happy to have found the Adventure Inn as a landing point. The staff was extremely kind and accomodating. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I was able to enjoy the hot tub/jacuzzi the night before heading home which was a lovely way to relax my aching body.

I can't wait to see return and enjoy the fabulous pool being built. i would definately recommend staying at the Adventure Inn, they made my trip to and from the airport the easiest yet. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

I recently stayed at the "Adventure in on a five day stopover in San Jose.Prior to my trip i had positive communication with eric Robinson and he was most helpful in suggesting and arranging day trips for my short stay.The rooms were large and comfortable and the staff were pleasant and helpful.The meals in the dining room were very good and i sat at the bar with fellow travellers to watch "dancing with the stars."There was a Jaccuzi close to my room and construction of a swimming pool was underway(no noise)I would definately recommend the Adventure Inn for anyone visiting San Jose.Deirdre P. Canada

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

this hotel definitely has some positive and negative aspects. Let me preface that by saying i am not in any way accustomed to staying in luxurious hotels, nor was i expecting luxury when i booked this hotel. i was simply looking for a one night stay for an early morning flight back home.

positives:
free internet usage on 4 computers
free breakfast which was tasty
free airport shuttle
situated in a nice residential area
they are building a pool which looked very nice
we had the bar food at night at it was reasonably priced and had good flavor

negatives:
there isnt much to do in the area within walking distance, we took a cab to the central market and it was a 25 dollar cab ride each way

we stayed on the 1st floor and the room we were given was small, poorly lit, and smelled of cleaning solution that was so strong we had to leave after 10 minutes to get some fresh air. the sheets and bed skirt on the bed were dingy and a shade of beige when they should of been white. the comforter was worn thin and should of been thrown out a long time ago. i slept on top of the comforter with my personal towels on top of the pillow and the comforter.

the air conditioner was antiquated and was so loud we turned it off and dealt with the heat.

the hotel itself has an overall feel of being antiquated and could use some updating.

Like i previously stated, i wasnt looking for luxury, but was thoroughly disappointed by the adventure inn after reading great reviews. I wouldnt recommend this hotel at all and will choose another hotel when returning to san jose.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Our website and the e-mails we send out are packed full of things to do and to make your stay convenient, enjoyable and safe. Our front desk staff take a personal interest in your well-being, recommending pleasant walks to nearby restaurants and casinos, stroll along the golf course, through our safe up-scale neighborhood, steps to a large nearby souvenir store, maybe even walk to the Mall Real Cariari and Cineplex.

We have four full-time taxi drivers that exclusively work out of Adventure Inn, and their one-way cost into central San Jose is $12 to $15, for what these people paid $25 to a stranger. If they would have asked for advice from our obliging front desk staff how to get to the Central Market, they would have also been told about the very convenient public bus option for less than a dollar that leaves from 2 blocks away, several times per hour! When guests decide to venture out on their own without any previous advice, and end up getting ripped off, well, we are sorry, it is unfortunate, but this is a Third World country, and there are people who prey on the lost and unsuspecting.

Regarding the noisy A/C, the units are about six years old, but are serviced on a regular basis. I know it is subjective but most people don't find them loud or annoying. In fact most people do not turn on their A/C units because of the year-round spring-like temperature here
in the Central Valley, considered by National Geographic as the best climate on earth.

We clean our rooms with eco-friendly biodegradable products, but we need to use stronger disinfectants for the bathrooms, and perhaps these people entered their room just after the maid had cleaned. Certainly if they had opened their window, it would have dissipated quickly.

We buy only high-count threaded sheets and pillow cases, and retire all linens that show wear. The bed skirts ARE beige, not white. Most of Adventure Inn was solidly built less than ten years ago, and is constantly undergoing remodeling and face-lifts. I am not sure why they considered it antiquated. I doubt if these guests went elsewhere and paid twice as much, that they would do much better.
SteveEsteban
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Close to the airport in the upscale suburb of Cariari and casinos. I would recommend this hotel primarily to business travelers. The hotel did recommend a great driver who took me into town and dropped me off at the Central Market. The only downside is that it was difficult to pay my bill in cash at 4 AM when I was leaving for the airport. They couldn't make $13 change on my bill. If you have an early flight, I would recommend getting the exact amount of your bill from the desk (don't let them protest) or bar prior to going to bed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
AdventureInn, Manager at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
What this guest says about getting change is probably true. Guests need to understand that we are in Costa Rica and not the USA. We can virtually always give you the correct change in Costa Rican currency, however even though we try our best to have as many small US bills as possible, we may not always have enough for a busy shift with multiple people requesting change in dollars or asking us if we can break large bills for them.

This is not due to disorganization on our part, but is a restriction with the Costa Rican banks since the majority of the time they do not have very many small US dollar bills either. We sometimes need to go to 2 or 3 banks just to get $100 in $1's and $5's.

If you can pay your bill with close to exact change or if you can accept your change in Costa Rican colones, that will always help.

Been to Adventure Inn? Share your experiences!