“Perfect !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Adventure Inn

You added Adventure Inn to your Saves list
Adventure Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ciudad Cariari, Autopista General Canas | Between San Jose and SJO Airport, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
Book direct - 15% off!
Ranked #2 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
FRANCE
“Perfect !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

From the rooms, very larges to the restaurant, there is nothing to say excepted "perfect".
The building is located near the airport (max. 10 mns) and from the town center of San josé (15 mns). Good taxi service free of charge, ppl are very friendly and professionnal. Rooms are large and clean, bathroom very nice. There are 4 comp. free with Linux and internet near a clean and complete musculation room where you can go at every hour.
Will keep this adress for our next trip in Costa rica.
Thank's to all the staff.
JM and Kate FRANCE.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

Me and my husband stayed 2 nights on our 10 days vacation in Osa Pennisula, and liked this hotel a lot. While it's not 5* plush American style hotel, it has everything an active traveler needs: big clean rooms with excellent mattresses, a coffe maker (very good local coffee provided), WiFi in public areas, computer lounge with a couple of well maintained computers, and very helpful staff .

They cover the airport transfer fee (to/from International airport), and make a sandwich if you are leaving too early to have a breakfast. It's possible to leave with them part of the luggage while traveling in Costa Rica (we left our warm cloths).
They even bothered to give us via e-mail before our arrival a no-nonsense advice regarding our stay in Osa !

For our 2 previous vacation in Costa Rica we stayed at Hamptonn Inn and Holiday Inn in the city, from now on we will be staying at Adventure Inn, it's excellent value for money, and better suits our needs while in Costa Rica.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Pros:
1. Awesome breakfast, friendly bar and restaurant staff.
2. Reliable shuttle (actually a taxi they pay).
3. Lots of television channels, if you're into that.
4. Large rooms with fairly comfortable beds, warm showers, and AC.

Cons:
1. Didn't perform the wake-up phone call.
2. Misleading website about ambiance and experience.
3. Very, very, very thin walls, and a feeling of no privacy at all.
4. Staff totally unaware of the neighborhood, and was not particularly welcoming. We asked for a dinner recommendation, and they could not come up with ANYTHING in the area. We said, "cab or walk, up to 30 minutes, no matter" - still had no recommendations (not a language barrier - I speak Spanish fluently). This struck me as truly strange... even if you don't live in the area, it is sort of part of the job to know a little bit about the area.
When my boyfriend asked if there was a pool, the front-desker had to go ask. Additionally, when we called to ask for a clarification of driving directions (which had amounted to, "you'll see the signs from the highway"), we were told, "we already gave them to you."

Bottom Line:
I would not stay here again, but it was not an awful experience. I would recommend people looking for privacy and a helpful staff try elsewhere. For those who can sleep through anything, and want a good breakfast, a warm shower, and a shuttle, then this place is a pass... though I imagine you could find the same for cheaper.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

The hotel boasts a free cab ride from the hotel, but only pays for a portion of it. The website also mentions a restaurant within the hotel AND hotels located close by, but the hotel restaurant was closed by 9 PM and there was nothing within walking distance.

The hotel also failed to make our bus reservation, despite the fact that they'd charged my credit card, so we were two hours late leaving for Manuel Antonio. They hired a man to drive us there in his van, and when we arrived at our destination the driver told us he wasn't going to get paid unless we gave him cash.

Chose another hotel. Plenty of other options available in the area!

Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed a total of 5 nights, The rooms are plenty large enough, air conditioned, the suites have a small fridge which is nice to keep beverages cool. The complimentary breakfast is more than enough and very tasty. The supper specials are good portion, tasty and varied, also very good value.The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Having free access to the internet is huge plus. The information provided to us once we booked regarding the airport, taxi service, tours and general San Jose information was extremely beneficial. The Hotel is a close 10 minutes by car from the airport, it is easy access to downtown and also easy to get out of the City. Great overall value.

Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

The occasion of my first trip to Costa Rica was our daughter's 'destination wedding'. Due to financial constraints I had to travel alone (at 74!) From the moment my free taxi pulled up to your entrance, to my leaving a week later, I was totally impressed and pleased with your hotel. I cannot thank your staff enough for all their kindnesses and attention. I don't recall all your names, and don't want to slight anyone, but I especially appreciated Jose's help. He stayed with me and made several calls to the driver who was supposed to pick me up to meet with the wedding party but got lost! You all made me feel very comfortable and secure in a strange city. The room was lovely, free computer access a huge benefit, free breakfast very tasty, as was food in the restaurant,
and your 'bartenderess' made the best margarita I had in Costa Rica! I choose your hotel because of your excellent website and travel links. Also, I can truly say you lived up to your photographs and more. Years ago we traveled extensively in Spain, mostly staying at beautiful Paradors, and your hotel ranks with the best of them. There was not one thing I did not like about my stay. Thank you all, and I hope to be back one day!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Lack of organisation at front desk.Witnessed 2 mixups in space of a few minutes.Most staff disinterested in guests.Rooms clean.Jacuzzi no open.Limited menu and would need car to go eat elsewhere.Ok for one night if early flight next day

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
ericadventureinn, owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, January 24, 2010
The reviewer is correct in that sometimes we appear unorganized, particularly when the internet is down, as often is the case in Costa Rica. Occasionally we are left scrambling through our paper files to piece things together. According to some of our suppliers, little Adventure Inn arranges more tours, transfers and car rentals than any other Costa Rica hotel, so we have a lot on our plate. We always try to overcompensate if we have caused an inconvenience. Two weeks ago some guests missed a transfer to Manuel Antonio because of our mistake, so we immediately arranged and paid for a taxi for them for the three hour trip. Fortunately these things happens very rarely, or it would be a hard way to make a living!

I don't believe any of my staff are 'disinterested' in doing the best job they can.

I count twenty three eating establishments, from fast food to fine dining within a ten or fifteen minute walk from Adventure Inn. Anywhere in Costa Rica it is wise to take a car or taxi at night, but in the day you should be fine. However, most people enjoy our restaurant and menu with seventeen different entres, plus several appetizers, desserts and beverages, all at reasonable prices. Maybe some people would consider that a limited menu.

Our restaurant will expand onto the patio surrounding our new solar-heated infinity swimming pool which opens in a few weeks, and we are all excited about this.

Been to Adventure Inn? Share your experiences!