“Nice place and nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

Posada Del Museo
Avda. 2 and C. 17, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #39 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Bryan, Texas
“Nice place and nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

This hotel is in a great location in San Jose (eat at Nuestra Tierra down the block!). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are roomy and have a private bath. I would agree with other travelers...location a tad noisy. My only complaint is that we were put in the room right behind the front desk and the walls are THIN. Listened to the staff and the phone late into the night. Ask for a room upstairs, is my only suggestion.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Let's start with saying this hotel provided us with excellent service, very helpful and kind and gave good restaurant suggestions. Our Tortuguero trip was suddenly cancelled, and late at night they helped us to book a new tour.

The room was very spacious, clean and they have their own driver who can pick you up at the airport. We loved the homemade cakes and quiches from the Posado Cafe, where you have also the included breakfast. The free Wifi in the rooms worked also good.

Our room was in the front of the hotel, so no 'quiet pedestrain area' for us. A busy road and ofcourse the train. We noticed the train from 6 am till around 10 pm, several trains in an hour. The hotel doesn't have insulated glazing so you hear that train very well. The noice of the train isn't that bad, but the honking of the train is. Because the traintrack runs on streetlevel, it has to honk a lot. So you here it coming towards you from a distance.

I would recommend this hotel because of the service, nice people, and good rooms but the train is a pity.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

The hotel staff is wonderful. The owners are always around and the wife, Sylvia speaks
perfect english.
The hotel is beautifully furnished. And my room large and had huge windows.
The location is far enough away from the center of downtown San Jose-but close enough to walk to the casnios, museums, parks and shopping.
There is a train that went right by the hotel-but this added to the charm. It only operates during the day.
There is no smoking at the hotel-and I smoke.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We recently stayed 4 nights in this hotel, at the start of a 6 week trip around Costa Rica. We looked around quite a few hotels in San Jose and were definite we chose the best one! This hotel should be much higher up the list than it is! We stayed in Mariposa, the big room at the back of the hotel, much quieter than the Magnolia room, so I would recommend it. Yes, there is still some noise, but this is a city, not the middle of the jungle!!! We were treated so well by all the staff, who were very helpful, and extremely friendly to our 3 year old daughter. The hotel building dates from 1928, is a beautiful old house with delightful architectural features, it really has lots of character which we loved. The cafe next door was a nice place for breakfast (included), although it was a little pricey for dinner. The hotel is set on a pedestrian street in a lovely area of the city, and just across the road from the museum. I would recommend this hotel highly and would definitely stay there again! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

If you are looking for a luxury hotel or the conformity of a chain hotel (where you could just as easily be in Cleveland as Costa Rica), then this is not your place. This hotel is clean, charming and reasonably-priced. My fiance and I don't spend a lot of time in any hotel when we're traveling, we prefer to be out doing activities and mainly want a clean, safe place to sleep, shower, and relax a bit during our brief downtimes. That's why this hotel was perfect for us. We stayed twice: the first two days and final two days of our vacation.

We were a short walk from the city center and the museums, as well as several good restaurants; exactly what we wanted. And we received excellent assistance coordinating and booking the day trips we wanted to make to areas surrounding the city of San Jose.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Our group stayed in the Magnolia room. It was very roomy! It was very nice! The shower did not have hot water and it is next to a big window, but the window is frosted. The staff was helpful. There is an office with 1 computer. The breakfast was small (tea, orange juice, fruit, toast). We did not notice the train pass by (Saturday, Sunday) but noticed it on Monday morning. There is a small grocery store about 2 blocks away and the center is about a few blocks away. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

I regularly travel to San Jose CR and I’ve been to la Posada del Museo a few times. I’ve always been more than satisfied and in fact I will go back within a few weeks.

This colonial type hotel is decorated with a lot of taste with wooden floors or colonial tiles and bath rooms are simple and super nice(unless you are more into the Holiday inn style and you need wall to wall pink and green carpet in your bed room); the rooms are conveniently set up and very clean. I also appreciate the free, in-room WIFI service, cable TV with many international news channels and the office space with the (some how old) computer in the lounge in front of the reception.

The cafe is also very nice and indeed a little more expensive than the local “soda” but I’d rather pay to be in a clean place that I like and feel at ease. In fact, I like drinking my double espresso on the terrace, looking at the people passing by on the pedestrian street or watching the news inside this European style café. The pastries and rolls are exquisite, local brownies are a must.

If you are not a morning person, be aware that the train is noisy and starts at around 06:00 AM on week days but I use it as my alarm clock so I do not really care. On the other hand, I like this safe neighborhood where everything is within a walking distance (you can't have the cake and eat it too).

The Argentinean owners, Juan and Sylvia, are always very helpful with finding a store or a special address and always make a point of a making me feel at home.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone with a little taste, who does not care getting up at 6:00 AM. I have been to other hotels in the center of San Jose and if they did not have the train, they had the noise of the traffic in the street or of the business around the corner and were never as beautiful as La Posada del Museo.

• Liked — Design, restaurant, Wifi, Free safe parking
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Posada Del Museo? Share your experiences!