“Expensive, not well located, but nice rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Inca Real

Save Saved
You added Hotel Inca Real to your Saves list
Hotel Inca Real
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 11 entre calle 3 y 5, Barrio Amon, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #73 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Madrid, Spain
“Expensive, not well located, but nice rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I spent my first night in Costa Rica with 2 friends at Inca Real, which we reserved from abroad.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay since the room was neat, well furnished and decorated. The bathroom was better than the average we had in our other hotels in Costa Rica. Breakfast was too small..just a mug of cofee with toasts and jam. We asked for a refill, but they would charge us for the second round.

All in all, the hotel is nice. The location is not among the best, but we never felt endangered in the neighborhood. However, this was our most expensive night in Costa Rica and, frankly, other hotels were far better than this one..so it's not great value for money. Also the staff was kinda unwelcoming and cold.

Next time, I would try another hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our stay was off-season (end of July – beginning of August 2012)
Sunrise approx 5:15AM - Sunset approx 6:30PM

Hotel Inca is a ‘get what you pay for’ hotel. We saw lots of 20 something year old tourists in the neighborhood but for my 40+ years, it wasn’t my type of hotel or neighborhood but it served its purpose for a one night stay and the staff was pleasant. The hotels photos online are very flattering. Our room had no window facing outside and smelled musty. They may have nicer rooms.

If your purpose is to sightsee/vacation, look for a different hotel.
If your purpose is to hang out and party then you may be willing to stay anywhere.

Pros: Close to Clinica Biblica, close to or in downtown San Jose, tv

Cons: Neighborhood is not nice (strip clubs, ladies of the evening), appeared to only have parking for 2 cars but you can check with the hotel to confirm.

Where we ate/drank: N/A

I love Costa Rica. It’s a beautiful place with friendly people and LOTS to see. You can spend as much or as little as you want on the trip.

A few tips:
Gratuity: A 10% tip is built into most restaurant tabs but feel free to leave a little extra if you like the service

Take with you: GPS or rent when you arrive, a pocket flashlight; a couple pens, have plenty singles unless you’re going to use Colones, a pocket translation dictionary or have a program ready; when leaving CR you have to pay $28 departure tax so have some money or a credit card ready at the airport

Smart Tourist: Let your credit card company know you’re leaving the country; don’t leave anything visible in your car; look into the car rental situation – on our last trip everyone forced the basic insurance on us (that didn’t happen on a past trip); for rural areas 4-wheel drive or a small SUV may come in handy as some of the roads are rough but many/most are fine; no problem charging electronics without a converter; parts of the country are malaria zones; we were able to make calls home through Google Talk/Vonage on our phone even though we didn’t have phone service; Verizon currently does not have service in CR and they will dump your voicemail/texts from their server if you’re out of their service area for more than 3 day for voice and 6 days for text

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor. In the morning even conversations at normal voice levels seemed lo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Inca Real.

Check in: This was very smooth and efficient. They were expecting our group and I was allocated room 6. The staff were friendly and offered me directions on where to eat later in the day.

Room: My room had a double bed and a single. The shower/bathroom was clean and adequate. There was a coffee maker but no cups, coffee etc. A tv with some English channels. Also free wifi.

Breakfast: This was downstairs in a fairly dark room. You had to pay at reception before you go down and it was $4.

Breakfast consisted of egg in toast, juice and coffee. It would have been cheaper to find a local soda (cafe).

Overall my stay was average. I wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel again purely because the location was in an undesirable area. There were a few night clubs and 'gentleman's' clubs close by.

• Stayed July 2012
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Signed up for this hotel since we are visiting Costa Rica for an Active 20-30 convention. What a disappointment!

We had a bad feeling from the beginning since our emails went unanswered for days. Room is smelly, cigarette hole in comforter, the neighborhood is dangerous/unsafe, place is noisy, the staff in the lobby are not helpful at all. Front desk guy is sleeping on the freaking couch in the lobby! No kidding!

We really wish we had paid extra and join our other friends at the Ramada Herradura. They ARE having a great time in a REAL hotel with a great restaurant and 3 swimming pools.

This is not the "Costa Rica experience" we were looking for. We feel totally ripped off.

Shame on you Ruben Salas for recommending us this garbage hotel!

Room Tip: Active 20-30 Members - Avoid this Hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I see that someone mentioned they had wi-fi, and I'm a couple months late getting this review out, but when I was there in April, there was no wi-fi.

I was suckered into going there by a cab driver telling me that the place I wanted to stay was booked, but since I knew where the Inca Real was, I thought I'd give it a try. I had never stayed in that particular part of the central area.

The door is completely locked so you have to get the guy at the counter to open it for you going in and out. It can't even be opened from the inside, much less a key open from the outside. This wouldn't have been so bad if both of the front desk guys hadn't acted like I was keeping them from doing something more important every time I wanted in or out. Several times I had to wake them up and they were sleeping on the couch in the lobby.

The place was dark and uncomfortable. The only window was an inside window leading into the court yard where the sun was already blocked out significantly. There was a public computer and at check in I asked if they had internet. I should have specified wi-fi!

The location was also not that great, but I kind of knew that going into it. During the day it's fine to walk around, but there's a popular night club/brothel right next door that did not appear during any of my night outings to be filled with the most responsible crowd. I was supposed to meet a couple of locals there one night (on a previous trip) and as soon as I pulled up in the cab I told the driver to drive onto another place and called them to tell them I would meet them somewhere else. It was not the crowd I wanted to be around.

I probably would have given 2 stars with all this, but I couldn't take the place anymore and went back to where I had originally planned to stay (which was not and had not been booked meaning they're paying cab drivers commissions to drag you in to their hotel). While trying to check out, the guy at the counter tried to add additional charges to my bill. I had paid 3 nights in full in cash, so I just walked out tossing him the keys as I left. Not only did they want to keep the third nights charge, but they wanted to add to it ridiculous nonexistent fees.

When considering this hotel, change your mind fast!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
La Fortuna, Alajuela, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Heres what I like. The things Inca Provides.... a nice bed, a nice powerful hot shower, cable TV, breakfast and WIFI are great. The noise volume is the total down side to this hotel. It is close to the bus terminals of San Jose. It is close to various restaurants except for at night.... by taxi is the safest. But the doors have slats in them so you hear every noise of every thing possible. And the people who are here don't care how noisy they are. Last night when needing directions the Hotel Desk staff was more interested in talking to their girlfriend and I was yelling to him to open the door for me because his TV show was gainfully more important. I slept for maybe 4 hours before the ridiculous noise level of the hotel ensued. You can stay here for comfort but plan on ear plugs or other measures to sleep. This was not restful and I was planning on staying an extra night but have since changed my plans because the noise was too much.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Kennewick, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Hotel Inca Real was perfect! We stayed there the first night and went back at the end of our trip because we were completely satisfied...rooms are very clean, staff is extremely helpful and I would definately stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Inca Real? Share your experiences!