“Fantastic service when it counts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Autentico Hotel

You added Autentico Hotel to your Saves list
Autentico Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave 5 and 7, calle 40 | Sabana Este, San Jose 571-2050, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #41 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic service when it counts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here as part of our holiday with Gadventures - Five minutes before we were due to leave 03.15 I accidentally dropped my earring down the sink - it was valuable both sentimentally and money wise. The help we received from the staff was fantastic both in retrieving it and sending it on to the UK.
The hotel is basic but clean, the food is good but the staff very helpful and friendly especially Jorges and Jerry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel was part of our holiday via GAdventures. To cut a long story, we ended up back in SJ for an extended period after our tour. As for the hotel - the Ritz it ain't but it functions perfectly well. The rooms are clean. The pool is clean. The gardens are well kept. The restaurant & bar are fine. And, most importantly, the hotel staff are lovely and couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed a total of 3 nights in this hotel, two at the beginning of my round trip of Costa Rica and one at the end. It is a 20 min drive from the airport which makes it a great spot if you just need a layover spot. It is a basic, clean, friendly hotel and you get what you pay for. The entrance and lobby have been done up recently and has quite appeasing modern decor. The staff are lovely and friendly. I stayed in the older rooms that have quite dated decor. In saying that the room was a good size and clean. It had a tv, ac, coffee making facilities. Bathroom was spacious, clean and shower always had hot water. However my room was on the ground floor at the front of the hotel and the noise of the traffic was disconcerting, ear plugs were a must. The pool was lovely and clean, fresh in July! The restaurant was nice, nice ambience with a good selection on the menu. Breakfast is buffet style and as of July '13, $7, usual selection, rice, beans, eggs, bacon, fruit, cereal, toast. On my last night in San Jose I did get a more internal room which was far quieter, again one of the older ones and only had to content with a seminar background noise until 7pm. I would recommend this hotel but only as a layover. It's location within San Jose is pretty far out for been on foot. There is a supermarket two blocks away and a few restaurants near by.

Room Tip: Request the new rooms if possible and if not, request a room that is not located in the front of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Niagara Falls, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the start/end of our trip so I'll split the review in 2.

To start - this place doesn't look like a hotel. It is undergoing a name change (Hotel Autentico) so we thought we were being dropped at the wrong place. In a not very nice area. Nice to have a pool/courtyard but very few lounge chairs. Free internet in lobby but have to stand at front desk to use and have NO privacy. Front desk staff helpful.

FIRST NIGHT - We were upgraded to the newer rooms. It was flat out gorgeous with beautiful modern décor. LOVED the design. The bad? No a/c or fan so we roasted at night, and there are sheers covering the window so at night - the streetlight shone directly onto the bed so we had to sleep with our heads at the foot of the bed. Terrible sleep!

LAST NIGHT - We had high expectations of our room for our last night... but got the "regular" rooms. UGH! Tiny crowded room with 3 single beds, which were saggy & brutally uncomfortable. They had no fitted sheets, just top sheets for the base so I woke in the night to find myself sleeping on the exposed mattress - gross! No a/c or fan AGAIN... and windows wouldn't open. The art décor was Egyptian? huh? The hall noise was awful - woken up to people checking out at 5am. The good? Best shower we had all week.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade! But make sure you have a fan or a/c and the streetlight isn't in front of your...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a couple of days for a seminar. The hotel property was nice and they keep the grounds manicured. The room we had was adequate, with ac and a decent shower. The breakfast was very good with a large selection of fruit, eggs, cereal, bread, orange juice and coffee...of course, rice & beans too!

The location was good for us with it's proximity to the main street and the large park that is close by. There is also a super market and ATM about a block away. The bed was a little soft for our liking, but other than that, everything was fine. The people were all very courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: we liked the room on the 2nd floor overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My girlfriend and i stayed here for just one night. Hotel staff were pleasant to deal with, the pool clean and refreshing to swim in (fresh, at this time of year and with rain), our room was very comfortable, although some may call the decor a little outdated i quite liked the older style of the building (it had character), we had just dinner here with a few others and we certainly enjoyed our meals very much (club sandwich w' french fries) and my g/f' had the chef salad which had oil and vinegar served on the side as dressing. I would certainly stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

In need of a quick, one night accommodation close to the Embassy due to morning traffic I stayed here, having had a decent experience 13 years prior. I don't think they had changed a thing in all those years apart from a snazzy new entrance that makes the hotel appear to be boutique and modern looking dining area. Other than that, it was still a dated mediocre place. Perfectly suited for a one night stay if you are just passing through and have no expectations apart from cleanliness and service, this place will do. But, if you need spacious and bright, modern or with some classic touch, and even a touch luxe, then you will be disappointed. My husband was not with me for my one night stay so I thought I didn't care but I am not sure if I would stay here again. My room was very dark and the AC was either too cold, too loud or causing me to leave the curtain open partially at night. Tiny space overall and had we been two, we would have been stepping over each other. Even though I knew there we plenty of great restaurants in the area I opted for room service. It was ok. No dressing or salt and pepper for the salad, burger had loads of half cooked bacon which was uneatable and breakfast eggs were over fried in veggie oil. But plenty of fresh fruit and cereal...plus a decent Gallo Pinto. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel and apart from a safe location and clean linens, there is nothing that stands out about it eitherl. Suitable for a one night stay if you can overlook the little things and know will get what you pay for, nothing exceptional but nothing disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Autentico Hotel? Share your experiences!