“The Safe in your room is NOT safe” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Mona Lisa
Avenida 11 & Calle 3 bis | Barrio Amon, San Jose 10, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Berkeley, California
“The Safe in your room is NOT safe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I had a somewhat bewildering experience at this hotel. It began when I lost the key to my safe, where I was keeping about $1400. The sign said that the hotel is not responsible for the money kept within the safe -- fair enough. I hurried to the manager to inform him that I had lost my key and asked if they could offer me a spare. He rummaged through the keys and found a spare. So, of course, more conscious of the contents of the safe, I counted my money carefully and left the room for lunch. I returned to pick up some money for my next outing and found that there was two hundred dollars missing.

The key to the room was different than the key to the safe. Someone would need the key to the room in order to gain access to the safe. As soon as I realized the was money missing, I had a suspicion that perhaps someone in the hotel's staff had stolen the money. I decided to simply request another safe, which would have a different key altogether. I left after the safe was exchanged and returned to the hotel to find a fifty dollar bill missing. This time, certain that something had happened, I complained to the manager.

His response was, in fact, the most baffling of all. He did not seem very surprised and failed to address the issue but promised to bring it in his next meeting with his employees. Who knows who stole the money? -- but the hotel's safe is NOT to be trusted, and perhaps the hotel itself isn't the most secure establishment to stay for your trip in what is a truly beautiful country.

Room Tip: Please be aware that the safe box in your room is not be trusted. Do not leave cash and/or valuable...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I spent 5 days at Hotel Mona Lisa and found all the staff members very polite and helpful from the front desk, bartenders and waitresses, to the house keepers. Guy was very helpful in setting up my reservation and this is the third time I spent at the hotel. The pricing per room was extremely fair vs. other hotels in the area. The hotel is in a great quiet location if you want to explore out for day trips into the mountains.

Scot Bates

Room Tip: Corner suites are a better value.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my 4th stay at the Mona Lisa and it just keeps getting better. The whole staff from top to bottom are 2nd to none. If you are looking to have a great over all experience in San Jose this is the place to stay. Everyone is so friendly and cater to your every want and need. Guy Grand, Helmuth and George make your stay the best. Clean, safe and perfectly located in Bario Amon. Everything is just a short walk or taxi ride away, if you should need to leave this property for any reason. They have their own General Store inside the lobby and also a tour department if you want to go on any excursions throughout Costa Rica. The rooms are big and well priced, good food and they have their own casino if you want to try your luck at games. I can hardly wait until my next visit. They also have the best masseuse in the world, Yorleny, she is unbelievable. The best choice you can make for an overall great experience is The Hotel Mona Lisa !!!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mona Lisa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Brad, Thank you so much for the very kind review you wrote. It's always a pleasure having you and your friends stay with us. I can't believe it's already your fourth trip to the Mona Lisa. All the staff treat you like family because you are family. Thanks for all the gifts you brought and we all look forward to your next visit ! Until then Pura Vida from Costa Rica. Guy Director of Guest Services
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spent three nights with two other friends in Mona Lisa Hotel this week. I was very impressed with the management and staff, the quality of rooms, and the front desk service. I had stayed there before. Rooms have been upgraded with new beds and safes; very clean, and nice air-conditions. The poker room is lots of fun. It is the best hotel, inexpensive and near the entertainment centers. Helmuth did all the arrangements and Guy helped us with everything else we needed. Guy is polite, knowledgeable, and helpful and he is there to welcome you to make sure that you are having fun. I recommend it to everyone and cannot wait to go back!

Fred, Bobby, and Jay

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor are quieter
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Fred, Bobby and Jay Thanks so much for visiting us again. It's always a pleasure to serve you gentlemen. Thanks for all the positive feedback and we look forward to serving you again on your next trip to San Jose. Pura Vida, Guy Director of Guest Services
Midland, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Driver from the airport recommended it so I took a look and liked it. More of a modern building with a classic feel. Everything is updated. English speaking hotel staff, great restaurant, great $1-$2 no limit hold'em game every day, lots of other interesting and successful visitors from the states, really good price for the room, great location, and I don't think the bar ever closes. The staff seems to really care here, and that is worth a lot to me (service is hard to find in Central America). The hotel manager even came up to my room to show me how to use the room safe. Excellent service here.

Room Tip: Mine was a corner on the 3rd floor, it was huge.. I'd go for that one if available.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
George, So glad the airport taxi driver brought you to us at the Mona Lisa. Seems to happen a lot with the taxi drivers bringing people to us. Very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to serve you again in the near future. Thanks for the kind review. Pura Vida, Guy
Director of Guest Services
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I spent 8 nights at the Mona Lisa and enjoyed my time there very much. It has a nice Casino right in the hotel so if you didn't feel like going out had lots of fun there. The staff is always very helpful. I can't wait for my next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mona Lisa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Eric, Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Sounds like you had a great time and we all look forward to your next visit. Hola from the staff to you. Pura Vida
Director of Guest Services - Guy Grand
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed 10 days here and could not have asked for a better stay. The place is slightly dated which adds to its charm. The bar and restaurant are fine and comfortable. I told one of the managers that I wish they had coffee in the lobby before 7am and he said "no problem, I'll put a free coffee maker in your room." Helmuth and Guy are very helpful and seem like friends I want to see again when I left. Great tv, wifi, clean and comfortable. Oh, yes, there is a casino there which is busy night and day. Can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Tell them you need to have seamless wifi, and they will assign a room accordingly.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for staying with us at the Hotel Mona Lisa. Happy to hear you enjoyed the Casino and felt like a King. We do our Best to treat all our guests like Kings. Hope to see you again soon.
Director of Guest Services - Guy Grand

Been to Hotel Mona Lisa? Share your experiences!