“great stay and football game” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$56 (USD)
Ranked #14 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Breckenridge, Colorado
“great stay and football game”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

<enjoyed being here to watch the costa rica soccer game. very exciting. the staff was very friendly and excellent service. nice large rooms and very clean. nice big casino and poker room. had a professional relaxing massage from yorleny the in house massuese. <well worth the 40 dollars.. i will return and highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: 4third floor in back very quiet and nice view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Awhile back, the Mona Lisa was a Clarion property. Not a bad one, but nothing special. I "almost" stayed there several years ago when I was in SJ. I have stayed a 5 other places in my travels to SJ and, so far, this stay (at least insofar as the hotel is concerned) is the best! Unlike most of the places in this area, this hotel has all the modern comforts you'd expect in the States.

Guest relations Mgr. Guy, along with several other staff members, really give you the personal touch. It is a rather refreshing change not to be an anonymous guest and actually be treated like a VIP. Almost every time I go up to my nice large standard room on the 4th floor (with blackout curtains) and pass the front desk, I am greeted, asked how things are going and if there is anything that the staff can do for me. Impressive.

With a casino, very friendly poker room, great restaurant and wonderful ambiance...well, its a pretty darn good deal. My room is clean, well kept up, and (mind you, this was still a Clarion...not a 5 star hotel) very quiet, too!

I heartily recommend this hotel if you want a comfortable, clean and economical place to stay while visiting San Jose. There are also several great restaurants in the area that are rated in the top ten on TripAdvisor, as well.

Enjoy your stay in San Jose!

Room Tip: All good rooms, from what I can see...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at Mona Lisa in San Jose Costa Rica and it was great again. Food was excellent in the restaurant on site, they had undated safes from key to electronic, which was much better and as always the people were as friendly and helpful as last time I stayed there.

• Stayed May 2014
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mona Lisa, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review of the Hotel Mona Lisa. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us as much as your last visit. I will be happy to share your feedback with our staff and let them know that they are doing a good job being of Service to our guests. Hope to see you again in the near future. From all our staff here at the Hotel Mona Lisa, PURA VIDA
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I stayed at the Mona Lisa last month and had a wonderful time. The staff was very helpful and went out of their way to be of service. The rooms large and clean. Close to many stores and shops. I also got a wonderful professional massage from Yorleny the hotel massage therapist. Fantastic massage and only $40. She is amazing. I will return again to the Mona Lisa.

Room Tip: third or fourth floor in the back. Very quite
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mona Lisa, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
I was so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Hotel Mona Lisa. It gives us great joy to have our guests leave us after a good experience at the hotel. Also pleased to hear you made time for a massage with our lovely wonderful massage therapist Yorleny. Yorleny and I have worked together for almost five years now at two different hotels in San Jose and I must say she has never had a client unhappy about her services. She has three years of schooling and four degrees in Sports Medicine and Deep Tissue Massage. In my humble opinion she is the best Massage Therapist in San Jose. By the way, You don't have to stay at the Hotel Mona Lisa to enjoy her Services. She works daily from noon to 9pm and has her own massage room here at the Mona Lisa.
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I cant say enough good things about this hotel and their staff. Rooms are large, clean, alway cool and very quiet. Guy Grand, the Guest Relations Manager is the best. He takes Customer Service to the next level and once you meet him, you will have a friend for life! The hotel is centrally located and everything is within easy walking distrct. A very nice and professionaly run property were you will feel safe and relaxed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
I was Pleased to note that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Hotel Mona Lisa. I will be delighted to share your feedback with our staff as I know they will be encouraged by it. It gives us great joy to read a positive review and truly monitor our standards or Service. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you again in the near future.
Farmingdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

May of 2014 u stayed at the Mona Lisa hotel accommodations and services including the restaurant were excellent. Guy grand the marketing manager is very accommodating. One night he personally escorted me to an off site ATM machine to make sure there were no security issues. I am looking forward to my next trip. Jay Silverstein.Farmingdale ny

• Stayed May 2014
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mona Lisa, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Jay, Thank you so much for the nice review you wrote. It was great seeing you again. It's always a pleasure having you here in the hotel and getting a chance to visit and catch up on things. Hope to see you again soon and from all the staff here at the Mona Lisa to you, Pura Vida.
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Let start with the good. I thought the hotel was nice and Guy the manager went out of his way to help you. The property use to be a Clarion Hotel some years back and has nice big rooms, probably the best rooms of any of my stays in San Jose. The place is clean, has all the toiletries you need in bathroom, wifi, comfortable beds, very large flat screen TV, small fridge, good restaurant.

I spent 5 nights there and will say I had read about some theft issues of people getting into the room safes and stealing money. I went ahead booked anyway knowing that some people will make things up just to trash the reputation of the place. I was happy with the first 4 nights as no issues occurred and I almost wrote my review there in my room. The final night I was in the bar and had 5 beers and the bartender charged me 12,500 col ($4.53 per beer), I asked her to see my tab and she brought over a sheet of paper (see photo here) with the 5 beers on it, asked why so much more than before and she revised it to 7,500 col. How could a bartender make an "honest" mistake like that?....she thought that I was drunk and would go ahead and pay without question. I took the bill and showed it to the owner the following day alerting him that if she is doing that to customers she may be doing it to him also as they have no computerized billing system.

Now the next morning I go to check out and find that my safe is not accepting the combination that I have been using for the last 5 days! This led me to suspect that it had been breached as that's the only way your combination can get wiped out. I got the security key to open it and all seemed in place until I went to count my US dollars and found $40 missing so I went back down stairs to alert the owner again. Now, I had 5 $20 bills and 2 $1 bills in US and my cameras, passport and local money. It was wise of them to take only $40 and hope that it goes unnoticed as in many cases I'm sure it does rather than being obvious and taking the whole thing. Since we're on the subject of rip offs it costs $5 to have a T-shirt or underwear cleaned there!!!

Up to that point my stay was great and was hoping to write a complementary review, even though the AC was not working the entire time which for me was not that big of a problem since it is a rather nice climate there and I left the window open.

As I said, Guy was a big help there and even walked with me to the ATM one night which he does not have to do!

I hope this place gets some security cameras installed and weeds out the bad employees as I would have ranked it 4/5. I also noticed that many of the past reviewers have only contributed 1 review in Trip Advisor which I always find suspect.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mona Lisa, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Guest, I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. It seems that you liked the rooms, service, food, etc. The main problem was $40 missing from your safe. Well I am happy to inform you that we've been investigating this matter for the last week and we resolved the problem. After much questioning and investigation we found out what was going on and fired all the parties involved. We are 100% sure this problem is gone for good. The safes are safe. Also by the way, any of our guests have full access to the casino bank safes. Feel free to leave any or all your money at our casino in our Hotel Casino Safe.
We greatly appreciate your comments and feedback as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience for our guests. We hope you will give us another try some time.
Director of Guest Services - Guy Grand

Been to Hotel Mona Lisa? Share your experiences!