“Convenience” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Central, Avenida 9, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #22 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
“Convenience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

The cocoon hotel isn't luxurious, it wasn't what I had in mind before I came to Costa Rica. That being said, I hadn't realized quite what the country is like. The hotel was safe, in a great location and provided a nice complementary breakfast in addition to having a bar downstairs which we grabbed a few drinks at during our time there. Great hotel for the money.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were greeted warmly by Susan at the front desk, she was a perfect mix of professional, happy and accommodating. There was a slight mix up with our booking make through booking.com as we weren't able to book a "triple room" for us and our 13 year old (it said she would be "free"). I had tried to email the hotel directly as well as added a note to the reservation, as with most places in Costa Rica email isn't usually answered.
However, after we had checked in and gotten to our room we noticed we just had a double bed. Sure enough on our reservation from booking.com it showed a double (though when we booked I made sure to click on the triple room). Susan apologized and said they were fully booked. I asked if there was a cot or anything we could use and she excused herself for a moment and had the manager come meet us and apologized again for the mix up and that they would fix the situation quickly. The couldn't switch us rooms but they brought a queen sized bed up to the room within minutes, it barely fit but it didn't matter we weren't spending too much time in our room. All the staff at cocoon were amazing and friendly.
Our room had a window that faced 3 tiny walls - at first it was a downer until I realized it was a blessing in disguise. As San Jose tends to be gridlocked it also has a tendency to be noisy, no windows = no noise. Our wifi signal was strong, Facetimed with no problem.
Breakfast wasn't anything to write home about, but there were a lot of places around to eat of you weren't full up.
It was just over a 5 min walk to get the the Theatre (beautiful!) and free "secure" parking, meaning they had a lot attendant, but who knows what they can see. Traffic was a mess all around San Jose and it's always like that... every where.

Room Tip: We enjoyed having an inside room, less noise. It was dark, but with traffic being so horrible it'...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I decided to spend two days in San Jose after a nice beach Holiday in Manuel Antonio at the Pacific Side.
Cocoon Hotel was a good option for us as it was located close to the City center. It is a very correct 3 stars, clean, good staff service and the rate is cheap and includes a very nice breakfast.
We did two tours in San Jose to discover a little bit and the front desk in Cocoon booked them for us. They also organised the Transfer to the airport with 25 $, so everything went well.

Thank u.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The reason i booked Cicoon Hotel in San Jose with my family is the i have payed for a correct conditions.
The front desk in the hotel we stayed in Manuel Antinio gave us a brochure with 25% discount for cocoon Hotel which was really ok for the 2 nights we stayed there.
The location not very nice but who cares, it was very close to the center of the City and it tooks us only 15 min to get to the Airport.
We liked the breakfast there, the fruits were delicious.

We recommend this hotel for San Jose if you want to save save some money.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

For us it is a very convenient hotel because it was not far away from the airport and the location is about 5 min walking from the center of San Jose.

Everything is clean inside and the service is ok. The front desk helped us to choose some tours which was very nice.

We think with the rate we payed, it is very correct hotel.

Thank you.

Cusco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked this place on Hotwire and for some reason it had 3.5 stars... No way! The neighbourhood was unsafe and I was even told by the (friendly) receptionist that I should NOT walk around at night. The room I was in was very smelly and musty no AC, just terrible blue LED lighting. When I asked to change rooms the other one wasn't much better.

This place was so bad, that I actually left the same day... and checked into another hotel. I have travelled in India, I've stayed in $10/night places before, and I'm no princess, but If I'm told I'm staying in a nice place and paying a decent price, I expect that. So the Value for this place is well below par. I would expect to pay $20/night here, not $70. There are many better places in San Jose to stay.

When I told the receptionist (who was on the couch reading the whole time!!) that I was leaving, she said "oh, OK that is fine... that is easy for us as you are only staying one night, so we don't have to give you any money back" Albeit she was very friendly and spoke perfect english. She completely failed to see that the hotel is under-delivering. Don't be fooled by the funky and cool photos on the site of the lobby, I was. The place is terrible.

The area around the hotel is scary, after 7pm you kind of fear for you life.

Room Tip: Avoid this place!!!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

We were coming from lemon in the Caribean side to San Jose by Bus. By arrival we saw Cocoon Hotel from the Bus Station and we decided to ask about a room and the rates. We were very welcome from the front desk and they offered us a very good rate for a nice room.
We had breakfast included in the price and were very happy about the service.
It is a good holiday if you are travelling inside Costa Rica and you need some days in San Jose.
We recommend Cocoon Hotel.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocoon Hotel? Share your experiences!