“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 86 hotels in San Jose
Sheffield
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Costa Rica that has been fantastic ( we are a middle aged couple from the UK).
We spent our first 2 nights at the Cocoon Hotel getting used to Costa Rica and then we went off to the Central Valleys for a week, back to the Cocoon for a night then off to Montezuma for the last week and finished our stay with another night at the Cocoon.
We found it a lovely hotel to stay. The location, rooms, breakfast and helpfulness of the staff were excellent. So good returning to the hotel and the staff know you and able to speak English. They even helped printing off boarding passes before we left.
As it's a new hotel, we found some of the taxi drivers didn't know where the hotel was so it was invaluable taking the hotel's card with us when we went out.
Would thoroughly recommend staying here for anyone needing to spend time in San Jose and taxi ride fine from airport and we could easily walk into town.
Rachel and Chris UK

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed at the Cocoon Hotel for our last night in Costa Rica. We wanted to be somewhere close to the airport, but in the city. The staff at the hotel is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. The hotel is conveniently located by being just blocks away from the pedestrian shopping, restaurant, bar, etc. area. We arrived in the late afternoon so we walked from the hotel to the pedestrian area for dinner at a restaurant recommended by the hotel. On our walk back, we were hassled by a couple of people begging for money... nothing too bad, but annoying. That has nothing to do with the hotel and is not their fault, but just the area that the hotel is located in.
We did make reservations for parking our car and that worked out great. The lot is right next to the hotel and conveniently located. There is someone watching the lot so we felt safe leaving our car there.
The hotel came with breakfast, but we left too early in the morning to enjoy it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Coulterville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I spent 13 wonderful days here. We became friendly with the entire staff who were more helpful than most hotels lending their advice to places to see and go and even the best ways to get there. It was a very comfortable atmosphere that can only be compared to nature itself. Several areas are set up for eating breakfast, reading, visiting or working with the internet. They have a snack bar/ bar and refreshment area as well. The environment is very green which puts you in a very serene and tranquil mood. Very relaxing and enjoyable. The rooms are clean and comfortable and there is parking available upon request.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Cocoon Hotel 11/29/2012 for one night. It is clean and pretty inexpensive. The staff is very friendly. My bed was smaller than I expected but was very comfortable. They have a small "cafe" where they sell sandwiches, sodas and drinks. However they didn't have any bottles of water. The window in my room looked out into a "courtyard" of sorts. I think I must have been close to a garage because I could smell exhaust fumes. I ended up closing the windows to keep the smell out which also lessened the noise. The shower had great water pressure but only cold water came out! It was freezing! So a quick jump in, jump out was necessary. They arranged a car pick up the following day to take me to the airport. It was a bit pricey though ($30). One of the cool things was they let me check-in early and check-out late at no extra charge. Overall it is a good, inexpensive hotel but I wouldn't stay there for more than one evening. I think it's a good hotel to stay at when you're passing through to other places in Costa Rica.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
usa tn 38451
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

A fair place for the Price. Pros; Hot water, clean room, small coset with hangers, and a friendly staff. What I missed secure lock on the door. In room safe and curtians for top windows were missing.The bed was very firm and small. Breakfast is not served on Sunday which was the only morning I was there they did have coffee. Somewhat hard to find and the phone number had changed. I had made reservations on Expedia which they had no record of so I had to email the conformation to them before I could check in once they had that everything was cool lucky for me they had one room left. The hotel is located 7 blocks from central ave. I have stayed in 4 hotels other that Cocoon in San Jose and I would say it ranks in the middle for price and quality.

Room Tip: This hotel is not in the safest area in San Jose keep your eyes open if walking about. 7 blocks from...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at Cocoon for one night after flying into San Jose. To be fair we didn't look around the neighbourhood at all - it seemed a little rough around the edges but walking into the hotel was like entering another (green!) world. It is clean and trendy and very green! The beds were comfortable and the curtains kept the light out well. The shower was good and the shampoo and soap were really nice quality. Wifi super fast compared to most other places we have been in Central America. We rushed off to catch an early-morning bus to Monteverde, and the hotel is conveniently located only 2 mins (by taxi - i.e. only a few US dollars) from the relevant bus station, and we were offered orange juice or coffee before we left, even though it was before the normal breakfast time. A good, comfortable option!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bocas del Toro, Bocas del Toro, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was our first trip to San Jose, so I was looking for a nice hotel that my husband and I could enjoy. We live full-time on a boat, so comfort and price were important to us. I did quite a bit of comparison shopping before picking this hotel. You never really know what the place will be like until you get there; are the pictures accurate, will the staff be nice, are the reviews genuine. What a surprise and relief! The hotel was fantastic! The lobby is the first impression and what an excellent one. Whoever furnished this hotel has a great eye for style and funkiness. The staff were all friendly and helpful. I have to give a big thank-you to Christian who was on the reception when we arrived. He booked us in, gave us helpful information about restaurants within walking distance and even help us find the right bus to get back to Panama. He is an asset to the company. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable, everything worked correctly. Our trip to Costa Rica was memorable and I highly recommend the Cocoon Hotel. Thank-you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocoon Hotel? Share your experiences!