“Disappointing hotel, poor service and dark rooms but close to the Mepe bus terminal” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Boutique Hotel Calle 20

Save Saved
You added Boutique Hotel Calle 20 to your Saves list
Boutique Hotel Calle 20
20th Street, 3.5 blocks north from the National Children's Hospital on Paseo Colon, San Jose 10103, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #22 of 53 San Jose B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Upon arrival, I was able to check-in with my limited Spanish as the staff in reception did not speak English. My room was located on the ground floor and was very dark with a strong smell of detergent filling out the room. Breakfast was probably the worse, with only some stale bread and children's cereal at the buffet and limited amount of coffee. The wifi connection did not work in my room so I had to sit in the depressing and deserted lobby area. I had no TV remote control which I had to request in reception. On the bright side, this hotel is conveniently located within a short walking distance of the Mepe bus terminal so I quickly escaped to the Caribbean coast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Having arrived in San Jose with no where to stay, I was driven by to Boutique Calle 20 by a taxi driver. I was immediately put at ease by the manager Diego, who spoke perfect English.

The service was exactly what you'd expect from staff and very much felt as if your needs were their number one priority.

The rooms' are in superb condition and offer everything you need in a hotel - comfotable and well sized bed, decent sized and well ventilated room and excellent working bathroom facilities. The walls weren't as solid as I was expecting as was able to hear other guests in the hotel on occasions.

However, was more than happy to book another room for my return to San Jose, after some time exploring the rest of Costa Rica.

I'd recommend Boutique Hotel Calle 20 as the hotel of choice when in San Jose, whether that be transitting through on a short visit, or looking for a more permanent stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

If your in San Jose and need a hotel I would stay here. If your using transnica, ticabus, or tracopa, stay here. I would stay here over and over again just for the attention to detail and friendly staff. I was really happy with the hotel and enjoyed the friendly staff, and clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BHC20, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Calle 20, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for spending your time to give us a kind feedback on your recent stay.

It’s pleasing that you remarked the perfect location of our hotel and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees.
We are also happy that you appreciate the cleanliness of our rooms.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in San José and hope we can prove our high standard of hospitality again.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've stayed two nights in this beautiful hotel!! Looks just like brand-new, great service, rooms are comfortable, great location in the downtown and still very quiet. I will definitely recommend it to a friend

Room Tip: More you get inside the hotel, rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
BHC20, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Calle 20, responded to this review, April 27, 2013

We are also happy that you appreciate the comfort of the rooms and the design of the hotel.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

There are really only 2 good things I can say about my stay at Hotel Calle 20: It is close to the bus terminal, and the staff tried.

That being said, me and my father after having a reservation were left at the door in the middle of not the greatest neighborhood in San Jose, because the reception person didn't know anything about our reservation( i had a confirmation page with me). I understand locking a door in a dangerous city, but if you are leaving guests outside with their luggage for 15 minutes, that doesn't really make us feel secure or welcome...after finally letting us in, she then proceeded to have a 5 minute conversation with someone on the phone, then had me talk to them (she only spoke spanish, and I speak a bit, but not that much).

We were then finally given our room, which was not very clean, but at that point all we wanted to do was have our room so we kept it.

I won't bore you with further details, but enough to say that this beginning was indicative of the rest of our stay there.

Clearly if the hotel wants to be a "boutique" hotel and charge appropriately(which they do), they have a lot of work to do. I am a relatively easy customer and was very satisfied with the 4 other places I stayed in Costa Rica which cost the same or less than this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BHC20, Manager at Boutique Hotel Calle 20, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear guest, we deeply apologize for the mishaps during your stay and appreciate taking the time to write your comment so we can try to correct it. We had a lot of unexpected trouble with the country's public transportation on that Easter Holiday weekend, unfortunately the full proper qualified reception staff wasn't available. It was unexpected, but we will work on it so it doesn't happen again. We guarantee if you are ever back, we will make it back to you, again thank you for your comment. Have a great day!
Gothenburg, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

When you are leaving on the Transnica bus, this hotel has an excellent location. If not, choose something else! Even though I complain about the place, I could stay there again, but probaby not! However, the staff is very nice and tries its best!

Most of the rooms are very small and stuffy with nowhere to put your baggage. Not stylish as they claim! They said our room should overlook the garden. Our window faced a lightshaft. ( We tried two different rooms) Do they really have a garden? We could not find any! The room should come with a dvd player. It did not! They don´t have any. The room should come with a Coffe maker. It did not! Thy don´t have any. The bathroom should come with a hairdryer. It did not! Thy don´t have any. They could not get us any of the promised items, in spite of us, beeing the only guests! So don´t belive what they write in the booking sites! It´s pure lies to attract guests. But now I know why they don´t have more guests. They claim they have 24h reception. Well somone comes when you ring the bell, but they know nothing. Except during breakfast hours and a couple of hours in the early evening, when more skilled people are there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BHC20, Manager at Boutique Hotel Calle 20, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear guest, we deeply apologize for the mishaps during your stay and appreciate taking the time to write your comment so we can try to correct it. I would like to take the chance and let you know that not all rooms are the same in size and shape, probably the rooms available during your stay were the smaller ones. If you happen to visit us again, we will upgrade your room for free to make up for your last discomfort. Regarding the items such as: coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & board, DVD; we keep them in inventory and deliver them inmediately to room upon guest request, we will work on the awareness of this. Thank you again for your comments, only with this kind of feedback can we grow to correct and offer our best service. Have a great day!
Sijsele, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in the hotel for 2 days, and where very pleased with the friendly manager , who helpt us to find a car to rent and gave us also good tips for restaurants. It is also very good situated just outsite city center. Rooms clean and big enough.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

We are also happy that you appreciate the cleanliness and dimensions of our rooms.

Been to Boutique Hotel Calle 20? Share your experiences!