“go someplace else!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Taylor Inn B & B

and 1 more site!
You added Taylor Inn B & B to your Saves list
Taylor Inn B & B
Avenida 13, Calles 03-03B, # 336 | 600 Norte y 50 al Este del Automercado, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #30 of 55 San Jose B&B and Inns
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
“go someplace else!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We were put in a downstairs room in the courtyard. Funky doors which you couldn't actually lock with the key (it was like a turn-knob lock from the inside only). You could also hear Everything and everyone...and unluckily for us some friends of the caretakers(owners?) were staying next door. We came in from being out all day to find the group sitting in the courtyard (right outside our door), the table littered with bottles of liquor, glasses, and cigarettes. The smoke was going into our room!
I expected them to quiet down, but at 10pm (on a Tues) they were still at it, with no consciousness of others as they were talking and laughing loudly.
We asked to be moved, and so they moved us to an upstairs room, which was actually quiet. But...the room was dirty: I found an old piece of gum stuck to the headboard right above my head, and the floor had these (felt like sand) pieces of stuff on the floor, which actually looked like some bug was eating the furniture piece...
When I went to take a shower there was so little pressure that even after angling the nozzle as best I could, I had to stand flat against the wall so I could get some on my head.

B&B is a joke ~ this is the worst excuse for a breakfast I've ever encountered.
Day 1 - coffee, choice of fruit loops of corn flakes, whole milk, oj, white bread for toast, butter & jam, pineapple and papaya (which ran out)
Day 2 - coffee, milk, same cereals, bananas & pineapple, brown or white toast, butter & jam

the caretaker or owner, whoever it is, Also smokes and the smell is their when you eat breakfast and I even saw her smoking in the kitchen (!) yuck

although they were nice, there are much better places to stay in town for the price

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

This was the estate of the Italian who built the National Theatre and the architecture is charming. The dining area opens to a breezy open flower garden that attracts hummingbirds and other song birds. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the complimentary breakfast was fresh and substantial. The location was prime!! We could safely walk to all the downtown attractions, including the Cathedral and parks and museums. Ignor others complaint about noise. We were there for a weekend and found it peaceful and quiet. I highly recommend taking a tour on the Tren Tico which only runs on Sundays and Holidays through the downtown area. It is run by a gentleman with his two sons who are amusing and highly informative. Management at the Inn was friendly and accommodating. I would certainly return to this hotel. Excellent value.

Room Tip: Request a first floor room as the upper floor has a narrow, steep staircase to climb. However, our...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

If you believe the guide books you'll have nothing but problems in San Jose, but that's so far from the truth (if you take the normal precuations that is). This B&B is handily located and the staff are really helpful, they will help with directions, maps etc. Rooms are big and clean and our room had a huge bathroom. Breakfast is quite basic but enough to get you going before you go out for the day, would certainly go back if ever back in San Jose

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We began our trip to Costa Rica here after an evening arrival in San Jose. The rooms were clean and pleasant, if basic. The beds were very comfortable, and the atmosphere welcoming. The colonial architecture offers high ceilings and an airy feel, with each room opening onto a central courtyard.

This hotel is a short walk to the downtown area and shopping, museums, and food. Driving here, as anywhere in San Jose is, was a challenge. I would happily stay here again, if I was not driving.

Room Tip: Many rooms offer a loft for more sleeping space.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

In all honesty, this is not a bad little spot, for the $30 a night that I spent on a private room with two beds, one single and one double with my own private bathroom, I cannot complaint too much, however the layout is not that great, every room is in an open courtyard facing the main entrance along with the reception area, thus with this you get all the noise from all the guest´s coming back at all hours along with the noise of all the guests waking up and having breakfast starting at 5am.

However, if you can put up with this, like I mentioned above, it is very reasonable for the price and only a 7 block walk to the city center.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Not what I expected but I had to stay in San Jose longer than I'd planned.
The staff here are so friendly and helpful that I liked it better than when I first arrived.
I'd stay there again simply because of the staff.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a well located, budget hotel in San Jose look no further
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed here only one night because it's just a few blocks from the bus station,and our feelings are mixed. On one hand, the people are friendly and helpful, and it felt kind of homey. We enjoyed watching hummingbirds while having our breakfast.

On the other, the walls are very thin, and the century-old house is extremely creaky, so it wasn't the best sleep. Footsteps coming down the stairs were like clomping bricks. We stayed in the room right off the dining area, and every time someone pushed back a chair it was quite loud. Our room was a little shabby but kind of charming; acceptable for the price ($45 in early June). We would consider staying here again, and maybe a different room would have been better, but if I were spending a few days in San Jose I would prefer something a little more comfortable.

We didn't have a problem in the neighborhood--although we were too tired to stay out much past dark--but if you take a taxi from the bus station, be careful. I think we were seriously overcharged--it cost us half as much as a taxi from the airport would have.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Taylor Inn B & B? Share your experiences!