“A Quaint and Tranquil Oasis in San Jose” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 40 Attractions in San Jose
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
More attraction details
Owner description: 30 species of butterflies flutter around this magical garden.
Escazu, Costa Rica
6 attraction reviews
“A Quaint and Tranquil Oasis in San Jose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Spirogyra Butterfly Garden is located in the Barrio Tournon of San Jose. My boyfriend and I were able to find it using Nokia maps and went a pied, saving ourselves a cab ride. The garden itself is right in the hustle and bustle of city life, a little green oasis right in Chepe. It has a sort of shabby chic feel with overgrowing plants and trees wrapping themselves around the worn down little house that makes up Spirogyra. Fees were reasonable, if a bit high for such a small place, at about $7 for foreigners and $4 for residents/citizens. I did notice a list of fees ranging from $1 to $5 for use of cameras but the staff said nothing of it so I keep my mouth shut. My boyfriend and I were greeted, given a field guide of butterflies and their host plants and sent on our meery way in the garden. Upon entering, you see many plants labeled with numbers that coincide with information on your field guide. I'm not much of a botanist and the fluttering of butterflies was too alluring so I quickly abandoned that part of the guide. My boyfriend and I spent our time admiring the mariposas, attempting to identify them on the guide and checking out some butterfly friends' like dragon flies and turtles. The flora and fauna were quite enchanting, giving the butterflies places to hide and flit while making their way around the garden. I found myself a bit disappointed there wasn't more information on the butterflies themselves. I would have liked to see some information on the varieties and their representation in Costa Rica. I felt like I'd been let loose in a friend's garden to explore without any real guide. Behind the garden are a few trails into the woods which back up to the zoo but don't really lead to anywhere. Despite the lack of information and small surroundings, I enjoyed my experience at Spirogyra Butterfly Garden. Any place that gives you a chance to escape San Jose smog and reconnect with nature is to be celebrated. I would love to see the garden offer an audio guide and some interactive displays to illustrate just what a lovely collection of butterflies Costa Rica has!

Visited April 2013

HYATTSVILLE
48 attraction reviews
“Small but interesting!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Do you enjoy butterflies? If so, you will enjoy visiting this or other small butterfly gardens in Costa Rica. I(f you are not into butterflies, you may find it a boring experience since that's what it is all about!) If you go, the blue morpho butterfly is particularly gorgeous, and you will see a variety of others as well. Bring your camera! If you have kids, this is a good place to stop for a short visit. It can be so fun if a butterfly lands on one of them!

Visited February 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
34 attraction reviews
“Quite nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you like nature, if you like butterflies, different colors and sizes, you will like this place. And the fee to go in is okay.

Visited August 2012
wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“boring but very nice ladies working”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

unless you are studying the process of the butterfly this was a very boring tour. Saw the same thing for each species. I was expecting to be able to enjoy the butterfly but instead stopped at every plant to see the eggs and talked about host plants even recieved a story that sounded like a story to be told to a class of 1st graders my husband and I are 53 actually looking that part was so bad it was funny we still laugh and retell the story bottom line very expensive tour going through gecko tours. If you must see take a cab

Visited March 2012
Cortland, New York
12 attraction reviews
“Nice relaxing location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

If you're into butterflies this is the place to go. Lots of species to enjoy even for a neophyte like myself. I saw an European couple with some kids and it seemed like a good place to come if you have kids - the kids were competing to find out the different species. $7 seems a bit much though, but the tiny enclosed area for butterflies allows for some peace of mind and quietness away from the rumble of San Jose.

Visited February 2012