“Like staying with a friend!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secret Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Prices are for rooms, adults
Secret Garden
Save Saved
You added Secret Garden to your Saves list
#14 Rohrmoser Blvd | Rohrmoser, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 53 San Jose B&B and Inns
Merida, Mexico
“Like staying with a friend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my first stay at Secret Garden. When I met Ric, I felt like I had known him all my life. He is a great host with wonderful stories and obviously just loves what he does. The room was well appointed and the garden enchanting. Even the dog Snickers is part of the home-like atmosphere. There was an ample traditional breakast in the garden in the morning with plenty of fresh Costa Rican coffee to get your day started. Ric puts you right at ease and you just cannot help but feel comfortable and at home. The neighborhood is quiet and there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, and downtown is a $5 taxi ride away. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Westlock Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

WE arrived in San Jose late evening ,took a taxi to the Secret Gardens ,when we got to the front gate Ric our host and his help met us as we drove up ,w were greeted like long lost friends when we entered the yard all you seen were lovely plants ,flowers and trees our room was quite nice and comfortable . we had planned a 5 day visit but ended up staying 11 days and as we did not speak any spanish we asked Ric if he would show us around SanJose , not only did he and his help show us San Jose but arranged for us to meet a taxi driver who spoke english but also agreed to take us wherever we wanted to go in Costa Rica as a result of this help from our host we saw Costa Rica from one end to the other ,we also convinced Ric and his help to come with us when we travelled ,and as a result of his very good nature and help we spent a great eleven days
seeing and enjoying the beautiful country of Costa Rica ,we also became good friends with Ric and Irma his help but also with the taxi driver Manuel Antonio who i might add is a very good and careful driver who took us to some places we may not of seen without his knowledge of his country , if you are going to Costa Rica i highly recommend you to call Ric at his Secret Garden but if you have made other arrangements , i recommend you call him just to get Manuel Antonio
number ,hen we arrive in Costa Rica we came from Panama ,which is a beautiful country as well
but the time we spent with Ric and the people he introduced us to will not be forgotten .
i would just like to say again give Ric a call and a big big thank you for your help in Costa Rica you went far and above what we expected , also a big thank you to Manuel Antonio who also went ay beyond what we payed for , I can promise you we will be back to Costa Rica again

Room Tip: any room is quiet and cheerful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the past 7 years and have always had a fantastic time. Ric always makes sure everyone has a wonderful time. This is my first choice to recommend to friends. All of my friends stay with Ric also. This is a very safe place to stay in a city that can be quite noisy, but never here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Living out at the beaches in the Caribbean of Costa Rica, I need a no-hassle quiet place to stay in San Jose on a regular basis. Secret Garden fits the bill well. Great value, conveniently located and most of all, Ric, the owners personal attention. He knows San Jose well and is very helpful making sure I get what I am looking for.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The property is very secure and well-maintained. And a full breakfast served when you are ready in the garden. It's like staying with a friend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Charming B & B, and the owner, Ric, is a great host! I can't wait to go back! Asha, VA

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I am very disappointed with the Secret Garden bed and breakfast. I made a reservation at this place, because it was recommended by a friend. I called to let the staff know that I would be arriving around 9 pm, however when I got there, no one was there. I called numerous times and even hit the horn of my car, to try to get someone out. Luckily for me, I was able to find another place to stay.

This is a situation that is unacceptable since the staff was aware that I was coming late. I will not recommend to stay at this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Rick_Secret_Garden, Owner at Secret Garden, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
I am really sorry we missed each other. I understood you were arriving at 5pm. I waited till 8:30pm and then I left for dinner with other guests.
Chirripo National Park, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

... really deserves to be recognized! I gave it all 5's in relation to price vs quality of service and accommodations. The Secret Garden is a actually the home of Ric, an American gentleman who opened this B&B a few years back. Each room has it's own separate entrance from the outside through a nice garden walkway and patio. The location is excellent and located in a nice neighborhood. It is away from the city center but only by a few minutes and hip restaurants and boutiques are a short distance away in Escazú and Santa Ana.

For business it is perfectly located. La Sabana is down the road, access to the Bolaños regional airport is only 5 minutes away, the international airport is just 20 minutes on a very direct route. Getting a bus or a taxi es really easy.

The rooms are very quiet and clean. The beds are comfy and the rooms have a TV and minifridge. There are no cooking facilities but there are many nearby places to eat: Tico, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Argentine, Chinese, Mexican, American fast food and the list goes on. There is a restaurant a short drive away run by a 3 star Michellin chef. The breakfast is served on a lovely little deck and includes fresh coffee, fruit, eggs (perfectly scrambled, not dry no wet but perfect) and bread, butter and jam. Ric, the owner is a charming man and good conversationalist. For the price, I would challenge anyone to find something even comparable.

The garden is intimate, small and very nicely done. There is a deck chair outside where I went out with my laptop (Free WiFi) do to some work but ended up daydreaming while listening to the dozens of birds and looking at the deep blue skies above.

I would highly recommend the Secret Garden to anyone looking for an economical rate and for whom personal contact and service is important. With as much privacy as you get, it is comforting to know that Ric is nearby and always ready to answer questions. The place is spotless, quiet and very comfortable but is not stocked with frills like hairdryers, irons, bathrobes,etc... So if you are a little on the higher-maintenance side or need room service or a place to cook, check into a full service hotel.

The draw back: it only has 2 rooms. The upside: it only has 2 rooms :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Secret Garden? Share your experiences!