“It's OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pension de la Cuesta B&B

You added Pension de la Cuesta B&B to your Saves list
Pension de la Cuesta B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Avenida Primera Calle 11 Y 15 | 50 Metros Oeste Parque Nacional, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #26 of 63 San Jose B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“It's OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My stay at the guest house was ok. The first few nights I stayed, there was a middle aged male Costa Rican staff member who was running the place. He really goes above and beyond the call of duty. I thought he was the owner because he was so caring and attentive.
It has a nice homely feel and I met some really nice people who were also staying there.
The location is pretty central and close to the action and also local attractions.
Some of the drawbacks were the ants overrunning the place, especially in the kitchen. They advertise a fully equipped kitchen but its a bit of a joke. There is a fridge and microwave.
There is a hot-stove which doesn't work and a toaster which is locked away.
My room was extremely hot all the time and very noisy as it was close to the main road.
Its ok for a short stay but not for much longer.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been staying here for 20 years, The first time it was 1993, it was 6$ a night. While the price has gone up its still a good value. Centrally located, you have access to everything. The breakfast is ok, but it does the job. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The last time iwas ther I got in late, did not have a reservation, and they had no rooms. They stored my luggage for me thank God, as I just assumed they had room and was left there. I then had to walk and find another hotel that was not full, but ghetto fabulous, yukkk, I will not be reviewing that one. When I came back the next day to get mt luggage and catch my transfer to Puerto Viejo. I was shocked when they said it was free, no problem, and they were apologetic they did not have a room. I really love the staff at this place!! Rooms are clean, stuff is safe.

Room Tip: Try and stay far from the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As others have noted, the main thing this B&B has to offer is location! It is nicely situated in San Jose, close enough to the happenings and goings on but far enough way from too much noise and less than desirable activities. I have to admit I love this B&B mostly or its very Costa Rican bright colors and mix matched furnishings. I have stayed in both a room with a shared bath and private bathroom. The private bathroom was disappointing. The door opens to the shower, followed by toilet, causing a lot of water to track into your room and make a mess. Our room had a twin bed that was nice and comfortable with a television. As for my experience with the shared bathroom, I much preferred it. The shared bathrooms available are nicer than the "private bathrooms." The water was warm, not hot but asi es la vida en Costa Rica (all apart of the experience!). My bed in the shared room was hard so that was a drawback. In the future, I will probably use a different room but continue with a shared bathroom.

Breakfast includes fruit, tea or coffee, cereal, toast and jelly. Since the place is called a Bread and Breakfast, I would have liked to see some eggs or gallo pinto offered but for the price, I was fairly satisfied with the offerings. There is also a nice sitting area with a television and kitchen for use. While I think the hotel could use a little sprucing up here and there, I recommend it to budget travelers for the price, location and service. The staff is wonderful! They are so helpful and friendly. For that very reason, I am sure I will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
central america
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have stayed in Pension de la Cuesta many times and have never been disappointed ....the service is excellent....the rooms clean and one can choose from a private room with bath which are very reasoneably priced to having a shared room with shared bath...for very little cost
The staff are all very helpful and wiil cheerfully share information to assist all travelers.

Room Tip: They like to be paid in dollars.......
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
North Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at this B+B for two days last week and had a really nice experience. The rooms are pretty sparse, but the prices can't be beat and it's in a good location. Very easy walking distance to all the sights. There are three bathrooms for the hotel, and there was always at least one available when I needed to take a shower. I stayed in a quad room for one night, and you could hear absolutely everything from the common room right next to it, so I did get woken up fairly early, but it's hard to complain when it cost $10. No issues with the private room I had the next night. What really elevated this hotel for me was the incredibly helpful staff. I realized shortly after arriving that I had left my cellphone on the Interbus, and they sprang into action, calling Interbus and getting the driver to drop off the phone. I don't know what I would have done without their help! They also had a nice airport pick-up service, and were just generally very willing to assist their guests in any way possible. Can't say enough nice things about the employees I met during my stay!

Room Tip: Room 8 was nice and quiet!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

For the price you really can't complain - hostel prices but much more comfortable (esp. if you get a private bathroom). The rooms were tiny but the bed was very comfortable! To get hot water you could only turn on the water a little, so that was okay once we figured that out. It had a nice common area with a little kitchen with a stove and microwave that anyone could use. Very close short walk to the central market, National Theatre, restaurants, etc. We did have a mixup and there was no one waiting for us at the airport, but luckily someone lent me their phone to call and we straightened it all out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aosta, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

in the right position to visit san josé. managers are very kind and willing to help. very informal and colourfull. most of the rooms are sharing the services. it's a little bit noisy, not suitable for light sleepers

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Casa 69
Casa 69
#6 of 63 in San Jose
4.5 of 5 stars 493 reviews

Been to Pension de la Cuesta B&B? Share your experiences!