“Very average hotel in a grubby area.” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Centro Colon Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Centro Colon Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3rd Av between 38th & 40th Sts | 590 Edificio, P.o Box 433, San Jose 1007, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #57 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Staffordshire
“Very average hotel in a grubby area.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

Everything about this hotel was average from the rooms to the service. The location is not great, but it is within walking distance of the centre, although we were advised to be careful at night. The rooms was large but very dimly lit and very tired. It was ok for a couple of nights but I am sure you could do better. There was a rather odd casino attached if that is to your liking!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

The Centro Colon is very close to the bad part of town and therefore walking places is not recommended - though make sure to go to the Mexican restaurant across the street! Depending on where you are in the hotel, you can get a terrible room or a decent room. I have stayed here twice and the first time my room had no view and was by a wind tunnel that did not permit me to sleep. The second night I had a huge room with a stunning view of the Poas Volcano. Decent place - but not for those who wish to spend any time in the country's capital.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Monroe, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

I was in Costa Rica for a week and I stayed at Hotel Centro Colon the last night in order to be closer to the airport. The kindest thing I can say is, "Ugh!".

The reservation was made by travel agent friends of my sister-in-law (who is a Tica) and I can only imagine that they've never actually seen one of the rooms or eaten at the restaurant. (This travel agent made transportation arrangements during our trip, all of which were fantastic.)

After some minor issues with check-in, I went to my room which was rather cheesy and was only moderately clean. There was a safe but it was locked. When I went to the front desk to ask for the key, they said there was a $3 fee to rent it plus I had to leave a credit card for a deposit. I raised a little hell and got out of leaving the deposit only because the travel agent knew my sister-in-law. There were only 2 towels for 2 people and no other supplies other than a tiny bar of soap. The carpet was greasy/dirty so I didn't walk barefoot in the room. There was hair and dirt on the bathroom floor (whose door didn't stay shut). The mattress was ok, but the bedspread and blanket were as clean as the carpet. The shower was large and at least there was ample hot water.

With the room we got a coupon for free breakfast but clearly it's free only because no one would actually pay for such horrible food. I had just spent a week in Costa Rica, enjoying delicious fresh fruit and pinto gallo in several places around the country so this was really a letdown. It was unfortunate that the food the last morning I was there literally left such a bad taste in my mouth.

The travel agent chose this place because it was a little less money than the hotels closer to the airport. I would have preferred to spend a little more money to have a better experience. Thankfully I was only there for one night.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Centro Colon Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Centro Colon Hotel

Address: 3rd Av between 38th & 40th Sts | 590 Edificio, P.o Box 433, San Jose 1007, Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica > Province of San Jose > San Jose Metro > San Jose
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service
Ranked #57 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Centro Colon Hotel 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia and Otel so you can book your Centro Colon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Centro Colon Hotel Costa Rica/San Jose

If you own or manage Centro Colon Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.