“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Milvia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel Milvia
Save Saved
You added Hotel Milvia to your Saves list
San Jose 2050, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 53 San Jose B&B and Inns
Poway, California
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Hotel Milvia became our home away from home as we based our (too) short week in Costa Rica from here. Steve and Carlos were excellent help in securing bus routes and taxis for us. The breakfasts were perfect for what we wanted. Some of the most interesting and friendly people shared breakfast with us and all were repeat customers who made Hotel Milvia their destination whenever in the San Jose area. When we left on for a night at La Selva Biological Station, we were able to leave our carry-ons at the hotel at no charge, leaving us only having to take our backpacks. The same was true for our 2 nights at Tortuguero. In addition, we were able to use their washer and dryer one night for a very small fee. (If you leave your laundry with them in the morning, they will return it to you neatly folded later in the day for, I believe, $10.00.)

The gate is closely monitored and it feels completely safe. The rooms are spacious and even though ours was on the street and there was street noise, we never found it annoying. If you are looking for a clean, safe, quaint, original place to stay, I highly recommend Hotel Milvia. We were grateful that it was part of our short stay in Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The artwork alone makes this hotel a worthwhile place to stay. Florencia Urbina, one of Costa Rica's foremost artists, has a permanent exhibition here and there are many works by other notable painters for guests to spend time admiring. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious with the biggest beds I have ever slept in. As San Jose has a wonderful cool climate, having the window open made sleeping without air conditioning an absolute pleasure (athough fans are provided). The communal areas are really homely and cosy and there's a lovely balcony where you can sit and read or admire the surrounding mountain views. All the staff are friendly, helpful and courteous and give excellent information about the local area of San Pedro, with its many restaurants, and things to do in San Jose. There is a bus stop 2 minutes walk from the hotel where buses stop every few minutes and it costs around 40pence/60cents for the 10 minute ride into the centre of town. A taxi costs around $5, but take the hotel address and phone number with you as not all of the drivers are familiar with this area. If you are the sort of person who likes something different and are not into the uniform sterile style of big hotels then this is a really lovely place to stay. It took us 25 minutes to and from the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawnee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel was very pleasant and is very much like being at home. The staff was very pleasant and professional. It is a very relaxing place to enjoy a Costa Rican day. On a clear day the mountains surrounding San Pedro are beautiful but on most days the clouds roll in and obscure the view.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed there for two nights, and I must say I was a bit disappointed. The reviews were very good, but my boyfriend and I found the hotel to be less than average, the breakfast was very basic- Initially we were not informed that if you wish to have eggs- you need to ask one of the staff.. the hotel itself is nice and cozy, but I cannot say it was a good value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I wouldn't stay in San Jose or San Pedro again unless I had to - I find the capital and this suburb where Hotel Milvia is located to be unpleasant. However, since I had to be in San Pedro for a few days, I'm very glad I spent it at Hotel Milvia. This beautiful old mansion-turned-hotel is a quiet and relaxing spot with a stellar staff who made me and my friends feel welcome and at home. The hotel also boasts quirky artwork everywhere, including the guest rooms.

There's also a good Japanese restaurant, a cafeteria with yummy food, and a grocery store all within two blocks.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

A stay at this hotel is is like visiting dear people you know and trust. As a single female travelor, I always felt cared for and safe. This place is charming with comfortable couches to sit in & read inside in public areas and deck chairs outside on the upper terrace, with grand views. It is superclean. Each day, I looked forward to a breakfast of fresh fruits, juices, great homemade bread, various cereals and milk...and they would even bring you freshly cooked eggs on request.
The gardens have an array of beautiful tropical plants and interesting sculptures. I enjoyed meeting travelors from around the world at breakfast each day. Thank you Steve and Carlos for making me feel like I was coming home at the end of each day.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that this is a unique 'home'.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Salem, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

First off, re: finding the place, simply tell the cab driver that it's in San Pedro Montes de Oca. Tell him, "De Supermercado 'Muñoz y Nanne' 100 este 100 norte 100 este" and he will be able to find it exactly.

The closeness to this supermarket (actually a shopping complex) -- a quick walk -- is a plus. If this is your first stop on the trip, consider not packing some of your basic supplies/toiletries and buying them here before heading to your next destination.

Expect comfort and simple elegance in this charming hotel/B&B with funky artistic flair. The center courtyard is really pretty. The manager is very welcoming and helpful. You'll get a street map of the area showing restaurants within close walking distance. (Just look all ways carefully before crossing streets!) This, I guess, is a relatively quiet area of San Jose, near the universities -- but "quiet" is relative; my room overlooked a side street that was on the busy side. The breakfast buffet featured fresh fruit, cereal, bread, and of course coffee. I would stay here again, and recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Milvia? Share your experiences!