“Great Start to Our Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Apartotel La Sabana

You added Apartotel La Sabana to your Saves list
Apartotel La Sabana
Sabana Norte | De la Agencia Datsun 100 oeste y 150 norte, San Jose 1200, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$80 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta
“Great Start to Our Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We walked in off the street on our first day in Costa Rica and was very happy with this apartotel! Christian was great and readily available to assist. Artwork is phenomenal, room size wonderful, and very clean rooms. I would definitely stay here again, hands down.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Moorpark, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

We had reservations at the La Sabana Hotel for December 12, but that was the day of the annual Christmas Parade and Festival. The police blocked off ALL roads leading into the festival area which included the streets around the hotel, and when we arrived by car in San Jose we were turned away by the police at every turn from reaching the hotel or even getting close and walking in with our luggage. We were stopped many kilometers away. So we returned our rental car and our driver talked to the hotel on how to get there since the normal routes were closed. In summary, the hotel rep simply lied to us on how to get there because we already knew it was impossible. Then the hotel rep told us that if we didn't show up we would be charged anyway for the room! Sure enough, the charge has appeared on the credit card bill. But this is bad public relations on the part of the La Sabana Hotel because they knew we couldn't get to the hotel, not through any fault of our own, but because of the police blockades! We had stayed there before, and liked the hotel, but these hotel actions and attitudes have really turned us off from ever staying there again or recommending these rip-off artists!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
SofiaHon, Manager at Apartotel La Sabana, responded to this review, December 28, 2009
I am afraid this guest was the victim of unscrupulous behavior on behalf of the driver of the car rental they used. Many of these drivers work on a commision basis with several hotels, and will do anything to assure this commission.

Our hotel, although close to the street were the Christmas Festival takes place is not directly on the Festival´s street. We are easily accesible during Festival day and as a matter of fact had several guests check in that same day that had no problem at all getting to our hotel.

The driver of the car rental this particular guest used, clearly wanted to take advantage of this situation in order to take the guests to another hotel and earn a commission for it.

We realize this is not the guest´s fault and are not appliying the No-Show charge for this specific situation. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this guest suffered, but did everything we could to guide their driver and give them alternate routes to reach the hotel. All we can do now is clear this situation and hope that, after consideration of the facts, it will be clear we were both victims of the driver´s behavior.

It is most unfortunate, but it does happen from time to time. As in any part of the world, you will find people wanting to take advantage of each other.

Once we even had a taxi driver tell a guest that our hotel had just burnt down a couples of days ago, in order to take them to another hotel and earn commission!
Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

This is a small and cozy hotel, but very well located.

It has a nice pool, laundry room, and a free internet station. The personnel is very friendly, and Christian is always available for help and assistance. It is very economic, and definitely worth the price. You can find various walk-in distance places to eat for all kinds of budget such as BK, Churrasqueria Fogo D’Brasil, Rosti Pollos, chinesse, and italian restaurants, among others.

It is located close to La Sabana Park, so it always has people around.

Very nice, and practical.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

I love La Sabana! I will be making my third trip in just over a year because of dental work.
I took a friend with me last September and went by myself in May. Because I was having oral surgery both times, I lounged around the hotel by the beautiful pool or in my little apartment. I didn't get out and about in San Jose. This third trip will be longer and I can go see more of the country I hope. I don't know whether the location would suit everyone's needs but the concierge(s) is terrific and will call a cab to take you wherever you want to go. It's just a couple blocks from Sabana Park and close to my dentist's office so it worked really well on that score. If you have a car in San Jose, you'll be able to park inside the hotel's secure lot.
Breakfast is always good when you're in the tropics! It is just so nice to sit by the pool and have a little bit of everything they put out for breakfast. It's quiet and peaceful inside the courtyard and the pool is just as wonderful as it looks in the pictures.
Everyone working there is very nice and helpful and easy going. La Sabana isn't the newest or most modern hotel in San Jose perhaps, but it's just perfect the way it is. Quaint.... in a good way! They have all the options/comforts you'd want; internet access, cable TV, phone, great service and the housekeeping is GOOD. They keep it clean,clean,clean!
It's very convenient to have a refrigerator, stove and microwave in the apartment if you want to have a few things on hand or even cook a full blown meal.
My third trip is in early October and it never even occurred to me to look for different accomodations. I'm not much of a traveller, nor have I ever written a review, but La Sabana Apartotel deserves the honorable mention!
It's gotta be the best little hotel in San Jose! I highly recommend it!
Have a good trip!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Lake Panasoffkee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

We stayed at the Apartotel La Sabana from 31 Aug till 4 Sept 2009 while we were receiving dental treatment from a local dentist. We arrived early at the hotel so we left our bags behind the front desk and walked to the local super mercado for a few supplies while they cleaned our room. After about an hour we checked in with no problems. The property is well maintained inside and out. Our room was very clean but did show its age. We booked a medium apartment which had 1 br with 2 full size beds, small kitchen with table and 4 chairs and small living room. The hotel was definitely worth the $81.36 pn which included breakfast. The problems started the night of 2 Sept when I found a note shoved under my door saying that we had to move to different room on 3 Sept. I went to the front desk clerk, Christian, and asked what was going on and why did we have to move. He said there was some issues with the room and they were moving us to a studio apartment. The next morning we talked to other guests and found this is their common practice, book you into the room type of your choice and then move you to accomodate another. The other guests and ourselves caused such a commotion at breakfast by the pool that Christian pulled me to the side and said we didn't have to move and they would fix the "problem" with the room after we checked out. The real problem was that they were not honest about the overbooking and offered us no compensation to move us into a smaller room. We have 3 more trips to make to San Jose in the next 6 months (over 21 days) they will now lose out on.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
SofiaHon, Manager at Apartotel La Sabana, responded to this review, September 16, 2009
We are very sorry to hear about the impression we left in this guest and are sure it is due to a misunderstanding. Service and honesty are our foundations and we take them very seriously.

We did have a bit of a mix up regarding some improvements needed to be done in this guest´s apartment, but re-scheduled them with the contractor and where able to do them after their check out, without having to move them to another room. I believe that we reacted in a timely and responsible fashion, and that they finished their stay with us in the room they requested and satisfied with our facilites and services.

Regarding our policy, we never have and never will practice dishonest procedures. This is very important to us. During the same time this guests stayed with us we had other guests that extended their original check out date. This was done in a very untimely fashion on behalf of them, and in order to accommodate this change we had to move them to another room for the duration of their extension.

Confirmed reservations will always have priority over untimely extensions of other guests. Just as we guarantee to have the room they requested when they first checked into the hotel, they must understand that we will do this also for other guests. Of course we will always do our best to accommodate the needs and preferences of all guests, but sometimes it is impossible, specially during high season.

We believe the comments generated from this particular guests are the ones that influenced the review. We are very sorry that our friends from Florida left with this impression, but assure you this is not a common practice at our hotel.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

I stayed at La Sabana from August 9 through August 22, 2009, while I was having substantial dental work completed, and I found it to be a delightful place to stay. The staff were wonderful, the grounds were lovely (with one of the most gorgeous pool areas I've seen in a while), the location was good and the room spacious and comfortable. I stayed in room 14, a medium apartment with a well-equipped kitchen, a sitting area and separate bedroom. Cable TV was included, along with free wi-fi internet access. The cable TV featured several English-language stations and the free wi-fi was fast and reliable. Being next to the park was a great amenity; I was able to walk for 30-60 minutes every morning and when I had free time. Also nearby is the Mas x Menos (More for Less) grocery store which made it very easy to stock my kitchen. Just two blocks away and well within walking distance were several eating establishments. However, despite the excellent hotel, I found San Jose to be dirty, smelly, crowded and strewn with litter. Although it is a good place to serve as a jumping off spot for various activities, As I told many of my friends: "you can take visiting San Jose off your bucket list." But the dental care I received was superb and I can't imagine that I could possibly have been more comfortable at any other hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
L.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

This is an incredible oasis in a noisy and rather smelly city. It gives such a sweet feeling of home. We really looked forward to going back to the hotel each day. Some of us admitted thinking about it while we were out sightseeing! Then to have a gorgeous free hot breakfast thrown in, wow.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Apartotel La Sabana? Share your experiences!