I stayed at Kaps Place for the month of August, paying the monthly rate, and was very happy with my decision. The ambiance is lovely…bright colors, mosaics, a fountain, zen garden, tranquil music, etc. There is occasionally incense in the lobby. Kap’s Place has a very relaxed, calm atmosphere. If you’re looking for somewhere quiet to relax from your Costa Rican adventures or the craziness of San Jose, this is the perfect place. If you’re looking for a lively place to party and meet lots of other travelers, this hotel is probably too quiet for you. There are many families staying with young children. Personally, I felt very comfortable here as a young woman living alone abroad. Every staff member was friendly and welcoming, greeting me by name every time I came through the lobby. All very knowledgeable about nearby restaurants, stores, ATMs, etc. Karolina, the owner, is a sweet, outgoing person who is always willing to give recommendations or just chat. She is very genuine in her interest in you and your comfort. I really enjoyed the daily buffet breakfast and ate there almost every morning. (It’s an additional fee and served 7-9 am.) For typical Costa Rican food, they have gallo pinto, plantains, and fresh papaya and pineapple, along with other breakfast staples- toast, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. Guests usually take their food out to eat in their outdoor courtyard, a pretty space with butterflies and hummingbirds.
All of the rooms (I’ve stayed in 3) have a hand soap dispenser, bar soap, blow dryer, safe deposit box, fan, phone, and TV…lots of amenities for the daily price. There is also coffee and tea all day in the lobby. If you stay by the month, housekeeping will change your sheets, comforter, and towel once a week. I stayed in the Annex building, which is around the corner from the main hotel and has its own locked entrance. It’s a private “house” with six rooms and its own kitchen and living area, giving you more privacy and independence. These are the rooms usually given to the monthly/long-term guests. I stayed in Annex room 6, a small 1-person room, with a BEAUTIFUL and unique tile mosaic bathroom.
The hotel’s location is a bit removed from the center of the city, but most notable sites (the Teatro Nacional, Mercado Central, etc) are still within walking distance. In the opposite direction, you can walk to the Mall San Pedro. There’s an organic farmer’s market right around the corner from the hotel every Saturday morning. It has kind of a hippy feel with live music plus food and coffee. On the way to or from the city center, the artisan market on Avenida Central between Calles 11 and 15 is a good place to stop for souvenirs.
When my original plans in Costa Rica fell through, Karolina was very supportive and helped me arrange day trips and other activities to fill my time. I took three tours booked through the hotel, all of which were hassle-free and well-run by the tour company (http://www.costaricaguides.com/). All tours pick you up right at the hotel’s front door. I took some fantastic Spanish classes at the Costa Rican Language Academy and was easily able to walk to the school from Kap’s Place. I had no problems with Kap’s Place’s airport taxi service. I had to take a taxi at 3:45 am for my flight out at the end of my stay, and Karolina personally called my room that morning to let me know when it arrived. I had a wonderful month in Costa Rica would gladly return to Kap’s Place next time I visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An authentic Costa Rican family will host and meet your needs providing accommodation, travel agency & personalized services (Spanish lessons, Waxing/Massages, Post Surgery Care & meals). A clean, safe, colorful & comfortable setting w/kitchens, 1st class beds, safety boxes, cable TV, hot water. Complimentary: breakfast, tea, coffee, WiFi, internet access, luggage storage & VOIP calls to @60 countries. Walk to: downtown, Gold, Jade & National Museums, National Theater, Plaza de la Cultura, Bolivar Zoo & Central Market. No sexual tourism. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Kaps Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kap`s Place Hotel San Jose
- Kaps Place San Jose
- Kaps Place Hotel San Jose
- Kaps Place Costa Rica/San Jose