“Great economy option for San Jose” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kaps Place

Save Saved
You added Kaps Place to your Saves list
Kaps Place
Street 19, Between Avenues 11 & 13, #1142 | De Emergencias del Calderón Guardia 250 metros norte, Barrio Aranjuez, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 53 San Jose B&B and Inns
Queen Charlotte, British Columbia, Canada
“Great economy option for San Jose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place comes with high praise by Lonely Planet, and for good reason. Super clean rooms (I was solo in a twin room, $40USD), with private bath and BF included. Wonderful common areas and huge kitchen for self-catering. Great staff. Wi-fi is haphazard, like in much of CR - sometimes on, sometimes off, varying speeds. I had a vehicle and they accommodated (for free) in a secure area, an unexpected bonus. Not a great option for families with small kids, due to the lack of sound insulation (our kids would be too loud for this place). However, a couple or solo - perfect!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
POrtland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Karolina the owner if she likes you/ you'll get a better rate. She may appear to be very nice and helpful.
Kaps doesn't look like much from the outside.
When I entered and waited for a clerk to attend the front desk I was overwhelmed with the smell of incense. The rooms are very small and cramped. Not well kept.
Fun and friendly people stay there. But its way overpriced for what you can get elsewhere.
There is a much better hotel across the street. Cleaner nicer staff and rooms. Its called the Hotel Arnajuez and has a fantastic 5 star breakfast banquet that is included with your stay.
Karolina the owner was nice enough to launder my clothes since I had only the clothes I wore. Id planned to be only a couple of days at the most.
Laundary can be done, but only during the day for a hefty cost $20. Yikes! They were kind enough to make an exception in my situation - they could sense my desperateness.
The laundry/ grocery bag incident, She said I could have large reusable grocery bag they use for Laundary - I said that would be great, how much? She said no, that's ok you keep it.
But when I stayed at the hotel across the street. And return to Kaps with a friend, the desk clerk told my friend I stoled it. Thats just Wrong! I explained to him that she gave it to me. He called Karolina and she said ok for $10 bucks for the large grocery bag being used for laundry. I told the clerk I'd pay when I got back. When I returned Karolina was at the desk and i reminded her Id pay for the bag- Not wanting to argue about it. I didn't have the exact change, so I gave her 20,000 colones ($40) she gives me a $20 back in change. Saying thats all she had - So this bag she originally GAVE me out of the kindness of her heart, then gives me a bad rep with a friend/ hotel guest. Not cool. So it ends up costing me another $20 on top of a $20 load of laundry. Hmm that left a bad empression with me.
Taking advantage of her customers and then wrongly talking badly about them with other guests behind their back is a unacceptable.

I guess we chalk it up to a "Live and learn" experience. There are plenty of more honest/ cheaper places to stay that give much more in return. I won't be back. To Kraps...
Pura Vida!

• Stayed February 2013
Karolina B, Propietario at Kaps Place, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello Mark!

Thank you for take your time to make a review of us.

Wow your review is so funny to me btw.

First, I'm sorry that you are traveling with a plastic bag and I'm sorry but my special bags for laundry services are for work, not to give them to the guests as a gift.

Second, when you did check out I told you taht you need return my laundry bag and I offered you a large plastic bag for your stuffs, but you told me you liked my bag and you could pay me for it, so I said okey then Mark. When I returned to the reception you had gone with my bag and without paying for it.
Next day, you came back with my guest Elizabeth and you brought your stuff in my bag and my receptionist knew you had left without paying the bag and he charged you $ 10 which is the cost of the bag when I bought it .

Too bad your comment, but never mind Mark, at least I know you have a better bag than a plastic one don't you think?

Third, if your experience in Kaps was so bad wahy you asked me for a monthly rate? and you told me taht your stay with us was charming, is not that weird of you? I think you should go to the doctor and check your head.

I hope you are doing very well, and please let me know how's your mental treatment going Dear!

Warm regards, God bless you!

P.S. ENJOY YOUR BAG ;)

Your Dear Friend from KAPS PLACE (The Best Hostel B & B in San José)

Karolina Bermúdez
Longueuil, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our two-night stay was a pleasure. Kaps is conveniently located not far (within walking distance) from central San Jose, with handy convenience stores nearby in a relatively quiet neighbourhood. Good continental breakfast and extremely helpful front desk. The reasonable price is well worth it.

Room Tip: Room with a shared b/room offers good privacy
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Kap's Place was the first place we stayed upon arriving in Costa Rica. We arrived at the hotel later than we had told them we would be arriving on account of terrifying traffic in San Jose, a street festival blocking streets we needed to go down, and my navigational skills being sub-optimal. They were exceptionally friendly and didn't mind us being late. Our room was very clean and homey feeling.
We had to leave very early for White Water Rafting the following morning so did not get to enjoy breakfast - but saw the preparation for it going on in the kitchen and it looked scrumptious.

We hadn't made arrangements for our final night in Costa Rica because we were traveling around so much we were unsure whether we were going to stay in San Jose or in Playa San Miguel. When we decided, last minute, to go back to San Jose, we called Kap's Place and they were more than accommodating booking us in for a room for the night. We arrived EXTREMELY late and still they were super friendly and welcoming.

Definitely a great place to stay!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

One of the highlights of my stay in Costa Rica was the beautiful oasis at Kaps Place, a hostel that feels like your home. From the welcoming and beautiful Karolina to the excellent staff, from the imaginative paintings and decorations in each room to the full-on showers (best in town!), this is one sweet and reasonable place to stay. They help in incredible ways to make your trip easy -- ordering taxis, providing a phone to call home, internet service, you name it.

Room Tip: go for the private bathroom - the room is better and it's worth the extra $.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am not a backpacker and this place is noted in Lonely Planet as 'mid range'. I wouldn't say that. It is (good) backpacker style accomodation and reasonably priced. That said, I liked it. Most of all, the front desk is very, very helpful (thank you Dorothy and Carolina for all of your help).

I was in chalet 4. It is small and has a shared bathroom. I felt like I was transported in some LSD trip to Switzerland, but a hispanic, and slightly warmer one.

It's all about sharing kitchens, spaces and conversations at Kap's place. Lots of internet access and a decent little breakfast.

Try the great vegetarian restaurant at the end of the street and Isabel's ust up the road too - nice little sodas.

Room Tip: Chalet 4 is a little small. Try and find a room that is a little larger if you are a couple.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
san francisco, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Previous reviewer who we met during New Year at Kap’s already described the place very accurately and eloquently with 5 stars, so I decided to be brief.

We stayed at Kap’s place for couple days during our Christmas vacation. The place has lovely character and it is quite cozy. Our room was basic but decent. It is located close to downtown (about 15 minutes’ walk) in rather quiet and safe neighborhood. The staff is extremely friendly and fun. Gallo Pinto cooked for breakfast was yummy.

On New Year’s Eve, Kap’s owner Karolina and her family hosted dinner and get together for all the guests which was a blast. We did the count down and celebration in Costa Rican style. After midnight, Karolina took us to terrace to have a view of sky lit by fireworks. It felt like we were at our Costa Rican family’s house for holidays. Two thumbs up for Kap’s.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kaps Place? Share your experiences!