“KAP'S PLACE is hard to beat!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kaps Place

Save Saved
You added Kaps Place to your Saves list
Kaps Place
Street 19, Between Avenues 11 & 13, #1142 | De Emergencias del Calderón Guardia 250 metros norte, Barrio Aranjuez, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 53 San Jose B&B and Inns
Lake Dallas, Texas
“KAP'S PLACE is hard to beat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have traveled the world on business and pleasure for 45 years. A recent month and a half stay at KAP’S PLACE in Barrio Aranjuez, San Jose, Costa Rica proved a finer a stay than experienced in much more expensive hotels and pensions. The location of KAP’S is very convenient to downtown. The neighborhood is clean and safe. You will be politely greeted by almost everyone you pass on the street with a sincere, “Buenos Dias!” You will be convenient to places to eat, grocery stores, bars and even WalMart. Taxis and buses are convenient and reasonably priced.

Do not allow the rather plain entrance of KAP’S to mislead you. Owner, Karolina Bermúdez, will provide the warmest, most helpful greeting by staff and management you will ever experience anywhere in the world. Inside is a Zen experience of tranquility and peace. Staff and management will provide encyclopedic knowledge of tours, services and the country in general.

Uniquely individualistic rooms and all areas of KAP’S are squeaky clean. The kitchen, shared with other guests, is well equipped and a wonderful place to get to know your fellow travelers. Fresh coffee and an excellent selection of teas are available 24 hours. Breakfast is at 7 AM.

Very interesting people stay at KAP’S. I met a retired Spanish engineer, whose hobby is drilling water wells for impoverished African villages, several people taking advantage of Costa Rica’s excellent and less expensive medical and dental facilities, a British linguistics PhD studying indigenous languages supplanted by Spanish and English, an American journalist, an English doctor, a Swiss citizen in country to climb local volcanoes, various nationalities in San Jose for a bicycle tour to Honduras and Americans exploring the possibilities of Costa Rican residency.

No matter your purpose, for being in Costa Rica, you are sure to enjoy your stay at KAP’s.

John McGilvray
Lake Dallas, Texas

Room Tip: Taking extended tours? Going to the beach for a week or so? KAP'S will secure you unneeded lugg...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Karolina B, General Manager at Kaps Place, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place offers accommodations for long and short term stays with personalized service with a smile. With hotel amenities not often find in hostels. We are extremely pleased to know that you have enjoyed your long term stay with us and we do hope to be of your service in the very near future.

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We've stayed at Kaps dozens of times in the past and never had any issues, clean rooms, friendly service, quiet and calm atmosphere, things must have changed because after staying only one night I couldn't sleep due to the incessant noise, we were put in a room literally next door to reception which wasn't bad but being that close to the main part of the house also means you can hear everything, again if the noise was at a reasonable time it would have not been an issue, after going to bed at about 10pm we were woken up by a group of people right outside the door which sounded like locals who seemed to have no respect for those sleeping because they were extremely loud with not a care for those who might be in bed, seriously the worst night Ive ever had at Kaps, I will never book another night at this hotel, if i wanted a hostel I would have stayed at a hostel.

Room Tip: never stay in the main part of the hotel, too noisy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Great place, clean and comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff. A little outside of the city center, but in a nice (and safe) neighborhood. I stayed three nights and would have stayed longer if I hadn't already booked my flight.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward serving you again in the near future.
Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my first trip to Costa Rica, and I stayed for the month of November at Kaps Place. As a single female traveler, I felt very comfortable and safe in the neighborhood. The room and common areas are VERY clean. Breakfast was plentiful (I am missing the wonderful fresh fruit) and coffee and tea were available all day.

Karolina is an amazing hostess! She was extremely helpful in booking my day trips, recommending other hotels in CR when I traveled and answered all questions I had.

Karolina, Dorothe, David, and staff were warm and welcoming. Many nights the guests gathered together to cook, talk, and share their CR experiences together. For Thanksgiving, Karolina surprised us by taking us to the store and purchasing the groceries for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, and invited everyone to join in the fun - a memory that I will always cherish!

Many friendships were made and I am looking forward to returning! Thank you Karolina!

Room Tip: I stayed in the annex, so the rooms were very quiet!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place stands for your home in San José with personalized service with a smile. Our accommodations, common areas and room amenities are those found in hotels but not hostels. For that we like to stand out by offering our guests that comfort and convenience. We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your month with us and we look forward serving you during your next long stay in Costa Rica.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I have been there for three nights along our trip to Costa Rica. The place is extreamly clean, there's a great breakfast (get up early for pineapples! mmmm...), the crew is very welcoming and willing to help in anything!
If you get there late at night - walk for a minute to the chinese restaurant around the corner and get yourself a fine meal (even when the's no one in there but you :)....).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place stands for your home in San José with personalized service with a smile. Our location does offer lots of convenience to travelers on the go or for long stay. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us and we look forward serving you again on your next visit to Costa Rica.
Grass Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had contacted Karolina thru Airbnb before arriving, & the rate was $25. for a private room & bath, which is what I agreed to. Upon arrival a private room was available, but only with a shared bath. I said that was ok (altho surprised she hadn't let me know, since I had contact with her a few times by phone prior to my getting there), but when she said the price would be $30., I told her it was to be $25. She then said she'd give me a "special" price of $25.

During the night I was cold, and asked if there were extra blankets available, but was told they were not.

I was able to get a private room with a shower the next day, & that room was equivalent to a cave (barely accommodated the twin bed, & dark without windows). I was fine with the room, yet found it odd that she kept telling me what a wonderful room it was as she walked me to it in another building. After accepting the room, I saw fluid on the toilet seat, as well as hair on the shower floor. I mentioned that to Karolina a bit later, & she was very defensive, saying the fluid had to be water rather than pee. I asked if I could get a bar of soap, since none was left, & also asked for another blanket again. Someone brought both, altho the "blanket" was more like a baby bunting (very thin, & small). That night I was very cold, & unable to sleep with air coming in thru the ceiling.

Next day I asked to please have a warmer blanket, & Karolina said it wasn't possible, since they are accounted for. I told her that I had no intention of stealing it, & asked if she would please accommodate my request. Another blanket was delivered, & it was thicker.

Next day I arrived in the kitchen for breakfast (included in price of room) at 8:20 ish, and there was virtually no food left. Breakfast was to be served from 7-9. I asked the hostess for more food to be put out, & was told it was all gone. Another person asked the same, & was told the same. I ate across the street for a $9. wonderful breakfast.

Karolina was not there all morning & afternoon, but when I arrived that evening I told her about the breakfast issue. She asked why I didn't tell her, & I said she was not there to tell. I told her that I would expect an adjustment on the price of my room.

I was going to stay that night again, yet she raised the price to $30., saying that's what it says on her website. I told her I would not agree to that. When I left the hostel, I could not find her. She'd tried to run my credit card the day before, but said her system was not working. So I still owed for the previous night.

The day after I left I emailed her, telling her that I still owed for my 3rd night staying there, & that I proposed $9. be taken off the price of the room since breakfast was not provided. I didn't hear back. A few days later I saw on my credit card statement that she had charged me $127.50 for the 3rd night of my stay. I don't know how she ran any amount, since she didn't have my credit card in hand. I'm disputing this charge with Master Card, and have emailed her again, but no response thus far.

I expect more out of a business owner. In my dealings with her, I found her to be unprofessional, uncaring, and immature. She directed another guest to a particular tour, & as I saw him giving her feedback about it, she was very defensive. I and some other guests were also locked out of the building at night, with no one answering the doorbell for over 10 minutes. When one of the guests complained to her, she insisted that he was wrong, & that she'd been at the desk to release the buzzer that would have allowed us in. I would hope that any owner would want guests to be comfortable, and would appreciate feedback for future guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
karolinakapsplace, Owner at Kaps Place, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello Christy,
I am trully sorry your experience at Kaps Place was not to your satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write us about it.
With regards to the issue of the blankets the hotel policy is one blanket and one comforter per bed. Actually is weird, you are making this complains because we gaved you 4 extra blankets every night.
All guests who contact the hotel via airbnb are advised to book via airbnb where they will clearly find policies regarding prices and types of rooms.
The guidelines which are posted on our website, on airbnb's site, and all the listings that we're appears, are reviewed in detail with the guests however if they don't book ahead of time we cannot guarantee a type of room or rate.
As a manager I welcome, as does my staff, all comments and will act upon where there is room for improvement immediately.
I am a live-in manager and am on the premises 24/7 so I dont understand why you left from my hotel without paid your bill and this is why I charged your credit card with the total amount of your stay.
I hope MasterCard will resolve your issue with the charge.
God bless you!
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here one night. This place is probably above average relative to other B&Bs in San Jose, but overall it's an average place with some charm. The host was friendly and helpful. The place has small pool for kids, gaming room and plenty of sitting area. There is a little area decorated like a mini jungle, which is cute. The breakfast in the morning was nice. The room we stayed in was very blend and tiny. It was fine for a sleep over, but I don't see myself staying there for much longer. You can hear everything through the walls. I can't say too much on the location as we didn't go anywhere in San Jose, but it's far from the bus station (need to take a taxi). Overall, our stay was comfortable and the host was very nice while the place is average it is probably better than many in the area! 3.5 stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place offers quite a variety of accommodations for short and long term guests. With room occupancy up to five guests with private and shared bathroom equipped with hotel amenities hard to find in Hostels. Our location is very strategically to places that a traveler would be looking out for. We offer free peaks like international phone calls to over 60 countries, a full equipped kitchen with most of the upgraded electronics, 24 hours coffee and tea, Wifi all over the premises and high speed internet. A full package stay at a five star hotel.

Been to Kaps Place? Share your experiences!