“Nothing special – fine for one night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

You added Hotel Dunn Inn to your Saves list
Hotel Dunn Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 5, Avenida 11 | Historical Barrio Amon, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto
“Nothing special – fine for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed at the Dunn Inn for one night in February. It was OK for one night – cheap enough. It wasn’t very clean – I saw a lot of hair on the floor and in my bed. The bathroom was clean and looked decent.

The hotel seemed to be almost empty. The area is not that great. I wanted to go for a walk at 11pm and 3 people from the hotel told me not to go because of drug dealers in the area. (I am a medium build 36 year old white male).

If you cannot avoid San Jose this is an OK hotel to go to. Keep in mind that their website gives a false representation – the hotel is a lot shaggier than it seems on the web.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
travelman321, Management at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
I am sorry for any inconvenience that may have incurred. We take a Huge Pride in our cleanliness. I assure you that this is not acceptable. Our unique Boutique Hotel is conveniently located downtown San Jose near the museums, zoo, shopping and night life. As in any downtown city in all of the US or World. We never suggest walking the streets by your self at 11 pm at night anywhere. The days are awesome and very safe to walk the streets, parks and neighborhood without any problems. Again, we apologize and assure you that this is not the norm and only the exception.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Dunn Inn the first nigth of our travels. The room was small but all we needed. It was clean and had nice linens. We sat at the bar for happy hour and enjoyed the music. Ate dinner at bar which was good. Our room was on the front of the hotel and a little noisy but several beers later and ear plugs and we were fine.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

We read about Dunn Inn in a travel guide and made our reservation online for the night before our early morning flight home, The front desk was helpful and spoke good English, the rooms were quite clean and modern, a bit on the small side but adequate and well designed with all the features we wanted; ceiling fan and ac , a nice wall mounted LCD TV, small safe, small desk and chair, night stand and reading light, we read the refrigerator was well stocked but we received no key to it. I found the WIFI to be unprotected with 1938 kbps download speed and 688 up, comparable to our wifi at home and we were never dropped. The restaurant and bar had a better diet plan than Jenny Craig, we got there at the start of the 3-7pm happy hour, got our beers and waited over an hour for our meal, we were totally ignored. Others arrived later and were served, finally we were told it would be 5 more minutes, but 10 minutes later we left money on the table for the beer and walked down the street to eat, when we returned to the desk to book our cab to the airport we were confronted by the restaurant manager who tried to tell us there were seven orders ahead of us in spite of the fact the place had one guy with his food on the table when we walked in at 3pm and 20 ahead would not have been a good excuse, you might say this left a bad taste in our mouths, especially after they snuck the charge on our bill which was mysteriously $12 more than the quote, this ruined an other wise ok experience

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
BKBurton, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
I apologize for the slow service you received on Friday. We did have a large number of orders hit the kitchen all at once. Our staff was working as hard as possible to serve everyone. As ot the unexpected extra charge on your hotel bill, I am assuming that it is the hotel tax that we are required to charge by the city of San Jose. We work extremely hard to please all of our customers and have a strong history of doing so. I would like the opportunity to make it up to you. Please fell free to contact me at the hotel to discuss these issues.

Boyd Burton
Director Sales and Marketing
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

We stayed at the Dunn Inn for a few days. We had a clean room, nothing fancy but this well located hotel, with a gret breakfast and supeb coffee more than made up for this. It's an easy walk to downtown where there is great shopping, museums and all kinds of local food to discover. We had a very pleasureable time in San Jose and the staff at the Dunn Inn were helpful in getting us maps and giving directions. We would recommen this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in San Jose a few days in a quiet part of town close to everything.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I took a few days to visit San Jose for the first time, I will review the excursions as well, but needless to say, all were excellent. As to The Dunn Inn, an early 20th century converted home (2 actually) with several single rooms, private bath, a small bar and breakfast area, as well as being very convenient to the central area of San Jose. From the time I called from the airport (calls are cheap, but get a pre-paid calling card at the airport) I was treated very well, and a room was had for about $60.00US, including taxes. I paid in cash but cards are accepted. I used an orange taxi (govt controlled, but red ones, private are fine as well) for $19.00US got a 20 minute ride to the hotel. Check in was quick, I was given a room on the main floor w/out air con (that's OK as the city is temperate) but I asked for an upstairs room with a window that opened, and they graciously accepted. I was given room #25 on the second floor, no elevator, so mobility could be a problem, but it was clean, with air con, a big private bath and a very comfortable bed. Sleep was no problem, hotel is quiet and other residents (lots of german, american, spanish) were very considerate. Continental breakfast was sliced fresh fruit, toast, and endless fabulous Costa Rican coffee, you could order eggs or oatmeal or whatever, but I wanted to eat out, explore, and learn about the country. I booked 2 tours through Gray Line tours, city walking tour, half day was $39US, and well worth it, lots to see, lunch was included, then I went to the Poas volcano, the Doka coffee plant, and Sarchi artist/furniture town/plant, well worth the $100US, but you could go zip lining, white water rafting, or see shows and the coast (about 3-4 hours away by bus). Met 2 great guides ( I can provide contact info) and had a private walk tour to the central market, well worth the trip, usual trinket stuff, but learned a lot about the people, the food, and a bit of the culture, for $20US it was a super bargain. Didn't have much more time as I was only there for 4 days, but had a great steak at Lukas in El Pueblo, enjoyed a few Imperial beers with the guides and other guests, all in all the Dunn Inn is top marks with me, I will recommend it to anyone. Taxis are very cheap, use them, keep off the streets after dark, not because of major crime, just petty stuff, although I didn't have any trouble. But check out was quick, everyone smiled and asked me to return, and I hope to do just that . I will be glad to answer any questions, just drop me a note.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

During the Memorial Day weekend, my regular spots Del Rey and Morazon were booked. Looked up Dunn Inn and the rest is history. Excellent staff and good restaurant and bar. Very good security who ensures the safety of its guests. Calls from front desk upon departure of guests. Stayed at Dun Inn in July 2009 and will stay there from this day forward. Thank you Dunn Inn for two very pleasant stays.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

i didnt have any of the problems others have mentioned. my plan was to split my stay in SJO between several hotels. my first stop was Dunn Inn and i couldnt find a reason to leave.

i caught a taxi from the airport. it was about $20USD. i showed up without a reservation and was able to get a room ($60) no problem. breakfast was included. each room had a safe. i dont know if it was large enough to fit a laptop. the rooms are not huge but i cant complain. the hotel was converted from an old mansion. (so says the sign in the lobby). the rooms (at least the two i had) are normal bedroom size. If you're looking for large luxury rooms dont stay here. during cleaning time i walked passed a few open rooms downstairs that were pretty big. still wouldnt call them luxury tho.

i'm not an adventurous eater, but to me the hotel restaurant food was good. seems like shrimp or chicken and rice are staples on the menu in many places.

the taxi driver (from the airport) repeated dont walk around at night. i took this as meaning the whole of the downtown area. taxis are inexpensive. have the front desk call a taxi for you. the company will give them the number of the car they're sending. the doorman/security matches that number against the car that shows up. then they ask where you're going. its like if anything happens they want to know who to go after. i felt really safe. the taxi fare to ave central(shops, restaurants, etc) was 830CRC. give the driver a 1K bill and tell em keep the change. just make sure they use the meter. i posted a picture of the outside of the hotel. the red car parked down the street is in front of the clarion hotel. they have a restaurant (i didnt try it) and casino (small and never crowded). across the street from the clarion is a dance club. pretty decent music but i didnt go in.

all the hotel staff were very helpful to me. there's a big tour book at the front desk. i told the lady a few specifics and she made all the arrangments for me. rental car and 3 tours. they have gated parking on the side of the building. the doorman never had a problem with me leaving the rental by the front door. matter fact he told me to leave it there so he could watch it. the bar girls remembered and greeted me by name. i didnt ask before hand and they charged me 5 or $6 to iron a pant of pants. there are two internet computers in a little room down the hall from the lobby.

from price, to service, to security, to room cleanliness and quality i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Dunn Inn? Share your experiences!