“Great Value, Business Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

You added Hotel Dunn Inn to your Saves list
Hotel Dunn Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 5, Avenida 11 | Historical Barrio Amon, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Charleston, United States
“Great Value, Business Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

GREAT staff. "B" food, close proximity to downtown businesses; good climate for a two person casual business meeting. My associate and I stayed at the Dunn Inn for six days/nights.... in between business meetings we spent a weekend fishing in Quepos. The management checked our luggage (can only take 25 lb on the puddle jumper to Quepos) and worked room schedules to accomodate our schedule. Rooms were spacious, shower excellent, nice TV, relatively fast internet access. There is an especially nice "local" restaurant one block away... also the area of town seemed "safer" than many others.

Room Tip: On business days there is a commuter train that is close. If you are not planning on an early rise...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Laura B, Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Our main commitment is to meet the expectations of our customers. It is satisfying to know that they you were comfortable during your stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

If You do not Speak Spanish this the place to be everybody speaks English.This a small place and every person in there staff will do everything to help have a good experience.I have stayed at 6 downtown hotels this the best.I was there from 10-23 to 10-28. They even have Depature tax form there.That will save 30 minutes at airport.The only thing I can complain about is when I came back from Jaco Beach 11-1 to 11-4.They were sold out had to stay at sleep inn.Sleep inn would not allow my local girlfriend in because she had shorts on. Dunn Inn is friendly to USA citizens.If Dunn inn don't have rooms.Stay out of Downtown San Jose.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Laura B, Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you very much for your nice comments. I will share your comments with our staff. It's good to know they helped to make your stay a pleasant one. We will be waiting for you in your next trip to Costa Rica
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

First, I'll say that we have not stayed at other places in downtown San Jose, so maybe this is comparatively better than other places. Still, for the money, probably not worth it. I booked online. When we got to the hotel, they showed us our room and it was right off the lobby behind the reception desk. That seemed odd. But they were happy to show us other options that would cost more. All of the rooms downstairs seem to be very near or right off the restaurant, and since I'd seen other reviewers say that it could be loud, and it seems weird to open your door into a bar/restaurant, I didn't want to deal with that. We ended up upstairs, apparently in the newer area, and it was fine. There was A/C and the sound of it seemed to drown out the sound of the music from the restaurant.

The location was good, easy to walk to places including the bus terminal for the Caribbean. Coffee was available in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

travelman321, Owner at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear sir and madam , I am sorry your experience was just ok. We feel like we offer a conventional tico experience . It is not really like a Remada,Clation , or a chain hotel. Our hotel features local ambience, the smell of coffee , music, clean rooms, good service, and decent food. This is not a cookie cutter hotel , but we do not try to fit that profile either. Perhaps there was some confusion as to your expectations. Thank you for giving us a shot.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this beautifully restored Inn for my birthday. The staff as well as Geoff were very pleasant and attentive.

I would recommend your San Jose stay here per within walking distance, you will find the famous Gold Museum, shops, restaurants and a casino right across the street. If you do not wish to walk, their "most attentive" security staff at the door will flag down a cab for you.

Staff at check-in counter can arrange all of your tours, which they will pick you up. Airport is nearby as well.

We enjoyed our stay and plan on returning. Will also highly recommend to family and friends and YOU!

• Stayed July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Michael Kent from Baltimore,MD

I stayed 8 days here at this nice hotel in August of 2013. The first day I got here, while
starting to unpack tne TV went up in my room. The maid and the maintenance man both worked
on it to get it operational, but no luck. It was a blessing in disguise as they moved me immediately to another room across the hall that was a lot bigger, and had a much better layout..
The maid staff was wonderful and met all my little requests promptly and with a cheerful smile. There will be times when you will need earplugs. I would put mine on right when I went to sleep, and set my cellphone alarm and put it right next to me on the night stand. The food was very good overall and they have a wide variety of foods to choose from. I thought the prices were a little high though, on many of their items. They have a menu you can look at on there webpage to see prices and types of food that they offer. I want to specially thank all of the doorman / security as I am a night owl and love to stay up late and hang out. Many nights I would go out late and come in and the very early hours of the morning.........The ladies at the front desk were
awesome, especially Seilyn. She was so very helpful with getting me information, and directions to different places that I needed to go to...It was nice that she speaks perfect English but I speak pretty good Spanish. So we conversed in Spanish and in English. She had originally set me up with my reservation, so the whole process was smooth and easy.........The one thing that I wish that the Hotel Dunn Inn had was a Swimming pool, as that alone would increase your customer traffic flow......... I thank all the Staff for making my vacation a great experience... Michael K.....

Great overall experience as this was my second trip to Costa Rica. I was able to relax and unwind and do a little touring of the area.I see that they have a sister hotel in Jaco beach, so
I hope that by the time I return, that they will have really gotten that aspect of there buisness
running smoothly......

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs in the back section of the hotel are a lot quieter.... There will be times when y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Laura B, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Mr. Kent. Thank you for choosing us as your place to stay in Costa Rica. I will like to thank you for your positive comments. Your comments about our staff are unique and I'll make sure to share them with our people. We look forward to welcome you back many more times
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Recently had the pleaure of staying at the Dunn Inn in San Jose Costa Rica. I had traveled with friends for one week and decided to stay a second week due to day trips I still wanted to take. Since I had already checked out of my original hotel one of my friends recommended the Dunn Inn where he was staying. I had no reservation just showed up and I was treated as if they had been waitng for me from the start. This hotel is well kept and clean with a nice decor. The rooms come both with AC or without your choice. One nice part about my stay was that a continental breaksfast was included with the price of the room. About $79 US, less if you choose a non A/C room. The Hotel location is great with a short walking distance to the center of town. The Staff at the Dunn were always ready to help with what ever was requested. They even got me a private van at the last minute to take a day trip the following morning to Jaco Beach which has a sister hotel there called the Nine. Also very clean and had a pool. I really could go on and on about the Dunn Inn but to keep it short all I can say is if you're needing a nice hotel on your next trip to San Jose you won't go wrong with the Dunn Inn it's a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Guadalupe it's very nice to find out that we were able to provide the quality of service you deserve. Thank you very much for your comments. We hope to welcome you back in San Jose or Jaco soon.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am a business owner and part time resident of Costa Rica,when I have business in San Jose I love to stay at Hotel Dunn Inn.The hotel has reasonable rates(60-80usd)a fresh and newly renovated sports bar a great restaurant comfortable rooms and is alking distance to many attractions downtown.The hotel has a friendly and capable staff that makes you feel at home,Seilyn Srios is one of these special people that makes sure your stay is the best anfd that you will return.Great value and great location.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mr. Jon P. Our ain goal is to provide excellent service to customers who honor us with their presence. It's an incentive for our staff to receive such positive feed back on their performance. I'll make sure to share your review with Seilyn.

Been to Hotel Dunn Inn? Share your experiences!