“Nice Hotel with a relaxing environment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Save Saved
You added Hotel Dunn Inn to your Saves list
Hotel Dunn Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 5, Avenida 11 | Historical Barrio Amon, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice Hotel with a relaxing environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Michael Kent from Baltimore,MD

I stayed 8 days here at this nice hotel in August of 2013. The first day I got here, while
starting to unpack tne TV went up in my room. The maid and the maintenance man both worked
on it to get it operational, but no luck. It was a blessing in disguise as they moved me immediately to another room across the hall that was a lot bigger, and had a much better layout..
The maid staff was wonderful and met all my little requests promptly and with a cheerful smile. There will be times when you will need earplugs. I would put mine on right when I went to sleep, and set my cellphone alarm and put it right next to me on the night stand. The food was very good overall and they have a wide variety of foods to choose from. I thought the prices were a little high though, on many of their items. They have a menu you can look at on there webpage to see prices and types of food that they offer. I want to specially thank all of the doorman / security as I am a night owl and love to stay up late and hang out. Many nights I would go out late and come in and the very early hours of the morning.........The ladies at the front desk were
awesome, especially Seilyn. She was so very helpful with getting me information, and directions to different places that I needed to go to...It was nice that she speaks perfect English but I speak pretty good Spanish. So we conversed in Spanish and in English. She had originally set me up with my reservation, so the whole process was smooth and easy.........The one thing that I wish that the Hotel Dunn Inn had was a Swimming pool, as that alone would increase your customer traffic flow......... I thank all the Staff for making my vacation a great experience... Michael K.....

Great overall experience as this was my second trip to Costa Rica. I was able to relax and unwind and do a little touring of the area.I see that they have a sister hotel in Jaco beach, so
I hope that by the time I return, that they will have really gotten that aspect of there buisness
running smoothly......

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs in the back section of the hotel are a lot quieter.... There will be times when y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Laura B, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Mr. Kent. Thank you for choosing us as your place to stay in Costa Rica. I will like to thank you for your positive comments. Your comments about our staff are unique and I'll make sure to share them with our people. We look forward to welcome you back many more times

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Recently had the pleaure of staying at the Dunn Inn in San Jose Costa Rica. I had traveled with friends for one week and decided to stay a second week due to day trips I still wanted to take. Since I had already checked out of my original hotel one of my friends recommended the Dunn Inn where he was staying. I had no reservation just showed up and I was treated as if they had been waitng for me from the start. This hotel is well kept and clean with a nice decor. The rooms come both with AC or without your choice. One nice part about my stay was that a continental breaksfast was included with the price of the room. About $79 US, less if you choose a non A/C room. The Hotel location is great with a short walking distance to the center of town. The Staff at the Dunn were always ready to help with what ever was requested. They even got me a private van at the last minute to take a day trip the following morning to Jaco Beach which has a sister hotel there called the Nine. Also very clean and had a pool. I really could go on and on about the Dunn Inn but to keep it short all I can say is if you're needing a nice hotel on your next trip to San Jose you won't go wrong with the Dunn Inn it's a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Guadalupe it's very nice to find out that we were able to provide the quality of service you deserve. Thank you very much for your comments. We hope to welcome you back in San Jose or Jaco soon.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am a business owner and part time resident of Costa Rica,when I have business in San Jose I love to stay at Hotel Dunn Inn.The hotel has reasonable rates(60-80usd)a fresh and newly renovated sports bar a great restaurant comfortable rooms and is alking distance to many attractions downtown.The hotel has a friendly and capable staff that makes you feel at home,Seilyn Srios is one of these special people that makes sure your stay is the best anfd that you will return.Great value and great location.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mr. Jon P. Our ain goal is to provide excellent service to customers who honor us with their presence. It's an incentive for our staff to receive such positive feed back on their performance. I'll make sure to share your review with Seilyn.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Can't beat the location but the rooms are small as well as the bathrooms only have one small sink, but a large shower. One of the few places that does have air conditioned rooms, so that is a plus. Beds and furniture are fairly old and uncomfortable but clean. This should be classified more as a business hotel. I would not advise this place for families with kids. Prostitution is legal in Costa Rica and this hotel is in the middle of the action. The staff was extremely helpful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed almost two weeks at this excellent hotel. The original building is very attractive with wood finishes and a light and airy feel in part because of the glass ceiling in the hallway. The rooms each have different characters--some with balconies, some with A/C, some with built-in desks, and so forth. Everything clean. The rooms little spartan without any easy chairs for reading in your room, and the lighting could be warmer. For some light sleepers, the inevitable noise of San Jose street traffic might annoy especially around the rush hours.

The service is simply outstanding. The front desk (Marcella and Seilyn) will go the extra mile to arrange anything you like. The manager and American owner (Laura and Geoff) are very friendly and are dedicated to their guests. The restaurant and bar are very pleasant places to hang out especially with their super staff (Magda, Anna and others).

The food is good, and fairly priced, if not outstanding. The Wifi is great throughout the hotel, and there are a couple of PCs and a printer for guest use.

The location is good if you want to be near the center of San Jose, however getting in and out of San Jose is affected by the impressive traffic congestion and thus using San Jose as a base for daily forays to other parts of the country means spending a fair bit of time in traffic.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear az22. Thank you for all your positive comments regarding the original building and our staff. We believe part of the charm of our property is the fact that the owners had the vision to maintain the feeling of the original 1929 mansion. Every effort we make is to ensure an enjoyable visit to our guests and we welcome the opportunity to have you call us your home away from home! I would also like to thank you for pointing our opportunities. It give us the chance to improve our property every day.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I reserved my room in the dunn inn for 3 guest, the room was awfully small. I had room 7 2 beds , no other sleep bed was offered. It's pretty clean hotel in a bad neighborhood in barrio amon. The bar was empty the 4 days i was there nothing going on had to go elsewhere for entertainment. The other pluses are there is no guest fee you can pretty much walk anywhere, except at night. i had my two brothers so it was okay. For the money you can check elsewhere and save.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Laura B, Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to write to us. The feed back from our clients is our main tool to improve constantly. We are a unique boutique Hotel, 120 years old converted from a Mansion to this Hotel. As a Mansion, what makes this unique and fun, is every room is very different and unique. We would love to have you back and show you some of the other rooms.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights and were very pleased with the hotel. The service was excellent all around. I would recommend this hotel highly!! They made us a nice laminated copy of our passports (keep your passport in safe when out and about) and helped us with taxis and even saved us a lot of time with the exit taxes before we left for the airport. The food was also very good and you have to try their nachos!!!! We had a great time!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Dunn Inn? Share your experiences!