“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Save Saved
You added Hotel Dunn Inn to your Saves list
Hotel Dunn Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 5, Avenida 11 | Historical Barrio Amon, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Austin, Texas
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Second time to stay at Dunn Inn in San Jose. Management and staff are the best. Excellent rooms in refurbished mansion. Love the decor. Reasonable prices. Two bars and restaurant provide food and entertainment. Unique sports bar. Close to all downtown entertainment venues while offering a quiet retreat when needed.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you want and they will accommodate. A few rooms are small so be sure and ask if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Escazu, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I had a hard time choosing between average and very good for my review of Hotel Dunn Inn. There are several things that are "very good" about this hotel- the cleanliness, politeness of staff, comforts of beds and pillows, nice bathrooms, air conditioning, and good wifi. I was very pleased with the appearance of the hotel, both inside and out. You can tell that they have to work to maintain the hotel and its rooms, which is not always found in Costa Rica. I felt like the inclusive breakfast was sufficient as it included juice, coffee, toast, fresh fruit, ham and cheese. There is the option to order heartier foods (for a price, of course) if you so desire. As for the average things, the location is fine but not a place for families. As the dark arrives, so do several shadier types of people (keep that in mind while traveling and take a taxi if you feel unsafe). Secondly, the room is small, as others had noticed. At first, I thought the size would not be an issue. Factor in luggage and things get a bit cumbersome. My room had a strong smell of smoke as well. Be sure to ask about smoking vs non smoking rooms if this is a concern for you. Lastly, I felt the price was too high for the overall experience. I would be happy to stay at Dunn Inn again but I will do a bit more comparison shopping first!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed at Dunn Inn two separate days on this trip. On the first night there was a little bit of noise but it did not bother me that much. But on the second night there were several people who were partying, giggling, talking loudly into the early hours of the morning. This affected my sleep. There are several notices placed on hall ways instructing guests to be quiet after 10pm, but the hotel does not enforce any rule. That showed a total lack of management at the hotel.

These are a few negatives that I observed about Dunn Inn…
- This was the “Noisiest Hotel” that I have stayed in thus far. There are notices placed along the hall ways instructing guests to be quiet after 10pm, but the staff does not enforce it. The day I stayed there, people were talking loudly, partying well into the early hours of the morning. It disturbed my sleep
- The rooms are packed like match boxes and they are constructed without any thought for sound-proofing. Every single noise that someone makes (even a small step on the stairwell) will penetrate the walls and if you are a light sleeper it will disturb your sleep.
- The standard rooms are one of the smallest rooms I’ve stayed at a hotel that charges $70/night or more.
- The staff was constantly recommending taking a taxi even though the distances were only a short walk from the hotel. Perhaps the hotel is not in the safest of locales of San Jose.
- If you plan to exchange currency, do not do it at the hotel. The exchange rate at the hotel is one of the lowest in the city. The city center offers better rates or the bank in the Departure Area (next to the exit tax counters) of the SJO airport offers far better exchange rates
- The hotel offers to take care of your departure tax. The tax is $28/person. But they charge $33/person, which includes a handling fee of $5/person, they do not mention the handling fee explicitly.You can skip this and opt to pay the departure tax at the airport. The hotel has a notice that says the lines at the airport may be long, but at the airport there are several counters open and the service there is fast and efficient. You just need to get there early enough.
- The continental breakfast included in the nightly rate has a small fruit bowl and one toast. You need to pay for anything extra you order. That is not made clear at the time of booking. Every other hotel I stayed in Costa Rica had a full breakfast included for much cheaper nightly rate.
- This may not be a good choice for families with kids. The hotel has a ‘Tropix Bar’ attached to it and revelers from the bar stay at the hotel and they are a loud and noisy bunch especially after a few drinks in them.

I will not recommend this hotel, there are better choices in San Jose.

Room Tip: Avoid Standard Room - The walls are not sound proofed
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear guest,

I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. My staff and I reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue. Unfortunately during your stay, some of our guests were celebrating and made more noise than expected, we did talk to them during that evening and they stopped. Please know that we sincerely apologize for that. Again, we are terribly sorry that your experience was not a good one, but we invite you to give us another try. I would like to note, that a Standard room is not $70 plus, it is less. The departure tax that we offer at our hotel does have a different price then the airport, the difference is to offset administrative costs that the hotel carries for providing this service, but it is certainly an amenity and a choice for our guests. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great little boutique hotel close to the center of San Jose. Very friendly and English conversant staff. Large sport's bar with multiple football games playing at the same time. Rooms close to the bar and restaurant are small, older and can be noisy at night. Suggest pay a little extra for larger room in newer section. There is a small cost (less than a taxi) for airport pick-up should be requested in advance.

Room Tip: Front desk personnel can arrange various sight-seeing trips.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

On my very first trip to Costa Rica, a friend recommended that I stay at this boutique hotel called Hotel Dunn Inn. I took his advice and made my reservation. But before I did, I went to their website to get some information and look at some of the photos. Everuting looked nice, but pictures can be deceiving and I have been disappointed in the past. This wasn't the case this time. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked through the doors. It is a beautiful Hotel and it has a geat sport bar. The rooms are nice and well maintained and the staff was friendly and helpfull. I don't speak spanish, but that wasn't an issue since I was able to communicate with the staff in english. I was introduce to the General Manager named John, and I found out that aside from speakig Spanish and English, he also speaks French and Italian and probably a couple more languages. The food was good and reasonably priced and I really liked my room and the bed was extremely comfortable. I had a great time and I have already recommended this Hotel to my freinds. I plan on going back again in 2013.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
La Paz BCS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights after 11 nights out on the Pacific Coast. I have to admit that after being out in the trees and beaches, we were a bit apprehensive driving into the hustle and bustle of San Jose. Our anxiety was even greater after seeing that the Dunn Inn seemed to be in a run-down older neighborhood away from everything else. We had never seen the hotel except on-line and well... you know EVERYTHING looks good online! (All the Trip Advisor reviews were what helped make our decision!) We were still a bit nervous driving in.

Could not have been more wrong! What a great place...great staff...great location! I can see why it's won so many awards. It's a turn-of-the-century historic mansion that's been turned into a real cozy and unique gem.

Dark woods are everywhere in the decor but they hide the fact that it's all very modern with great amenities whether you're there for business or, like us, traveling for pleasure (usually we're business travelers). We had the executive suite and it was more than comfortable and spacious with just enough charm and character that we didn't feel like we were in a chain-type hotel. Big beds with some of the most comfortable pillows I've ever had. (We probably spend 4 months of the year in hotel rooms from economy to 5-star properties so we KNOW pillows!)

The rooms have a small frig and we had two TV's and some great mood lighting fixtures with dimmers that were pretty cool too. The hotel is intimately quiet! I think the dark woods and carpeting everywhere add to that. I know there were other guests in the hotel, but it often felt like we were the only ones there...like having our own place. I don't know if the rooms were just designed like that, but there are signs on the doors asking folks to nicely "keep it down" and be respectful of disturbing others especially at night. Nice touch!

Staff was great and each day they helped us set up some great activity tours and were more than patient with my wife and I making so many changes and asking so many questions! They set up a city tour...waterfall and coffee tour...volcano tour...and a day of rapelling and white water rafting. At the end, their shuttle took us to the airport for a very nominal fee. Everything went off without a hitch and were great experiences...all at recomendations by the girls at the front desk.

We did have one slight problem and the manager, John, was as accommodating as could be. We heard him handle some other issues and he's the kind of guy I'd want running my hotel. On each occasion, whoever he was dealing with left with big smiles...us included. Got to meat Victor the owner and his partner, Steve, one morning who were on their way to the beach but took a moment to say hello to us.

I think the only caveat I would make is that this hotel is about 6 blocks from the bustling shopping and club district. As mentioned earlier we were apprehensive when we first arrived at the hotel as the neighborhood doesn't look very safe. But, we're walkers and adventurers!

After the first night, we realized it wasn't a bad neighborhood at all. It was just a quiet neighborhood and it seemed like quite a few professionals live in the area. Many evenings we just walked the easy six-blocks to and from the downtown area for shopping and meals and tours and mingling. Walking might not be for everyone and some might still be nervous in the area, especially late at night. But there's taxis readily available and the cost was like 2 bucks one way! Easy!

Also, the restaurant was great as well and I wrote a separate review. It's a great little place that's part of the hotel. Reminds me of a "Cheers" bar if Cheers was in Costa Rica! Cozy, Fun. Great great food! Portions were often more than we could eat and the chef himself comes out to give you a grin and a thumbs up when he sees you stuffed and unable to move!

In short...we'll b back! Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: We were advised not to book a room facing the street because of the noise, but from what we could te...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

For those who want to experience a hotel that is very different than the norm, I would certainly recommend Hotel Dunn Inn! When you enter you will feel like you have entered a very warm home atmosphere. The shuttle will pick you up from the airport for a very small fee and as you enter, their very professional and curtious security staff will help you and you will the warmth of the hotel immediately. Head of security is Edgar and then you will be greeted by Carol, and the entire reception staff. The General Manager will personally greet you as time allows and he is one of the most professional GM's I have ever encoutered. His name is John Gomes. I worked for JW and Bill Marriot for many years when younger, but have never felt the cozyness and ambiance that the Dunn Inn has to offer.There is also a private banquet room, free continental breakfast, a full menu with incredible food and a Sports bar or a more romantic bar with Ericka and her staff making sure that service is number one. I think what I like the most is that each section of this hotel has its own character and you will love it! I give this Hotel 5 Stars!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Dunn Inn? Share your experiences!