“Pleasantly Surprised!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

You added Hotel Dunn Inn to your Saves list
Hotel Dunn Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 5, Avenida 11 | Historical Barrio Amon, San Jose 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great little boutique hotel close to the center of San Jose. Very friendly and English conversant staff. Large sport's bar with multiple football games playing at the same time. Rooms close to the bar and restaurant are small, older and can be noisy at night. Suggest pay a little extra for larger room in newer section. There is a small cost (less than a taxi) for airport pick-up should be requested in advance.

Room Tip: Front desk personnel can arrange various sight-seeing trips.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

On my very first trip to Costa Rica, a friend recommended that I stay at this boutique hotel called Hotel Dunn Inn. I took his advice and made my reservation. But before I did, I went to their website to get some information and look at some of the photos. Everuting looked nice, but pictures can be deceiving and I have been disappointed in the past. This wasn't the case this time. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked through the doors. It is a beautiful Hotel and it has a geat sport bar. The rooms are nice and well maintained and the staff was friendly and helpfull. I don't speak spanish, but that wasn't an issue since I was able to communicate with the staff in english. I was introduce to the General Manager named John, and I found out that aside from speakig Spanish and English, he also speaks French and Italian and probably a couple more languages. The food was good and reasonably priced and I really liked my room and the bed was extremely comfortable. I had a great time and I have already recommended this Hotel to my freinds. I plan on going back again in 2013.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
La Paz BCS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights after 11 nights out on the Pacific Coast. I have to admit that after being out in the trees and beaches, we were a bit apprehensive driving into the hustle and bustle of San Jose. Our anxiety was even greater after seeing that the Dunn Inn seemed to be in a run-down older neighborhood away from everything else. We had never seen the hotel except on-line and well... you know EVERYTHING looks good online! (All the Trip Advisor reviews were what helped make our decision!) We were still a bit nervous driving in.

Could not have been more wrong! What a great place...great staff...great location! I can see why it's won so many awards. It's a turn-of-the-century historic mansion that's been turned into a real cozy and unique gem.

Dark woods are everywhere in the decor but they hide the fact that it's all very modern with great amenities whether you're there for business or, like us, traveling for pleasure (usually we're business travelers). We had the executive suite and it was more than comfortable and spacious with just enough charm and character that we didn't feel like we were in a chain-type hotel. Big beds with some of the most comfortable pillows I've ever had. (We probably spend 4 months of the year in hotel rooms from economy to 5-star properties so we KNOW pillows!)

The rooms have a small frig and we had two TV's and some great mood lighting fixtures with dimmers that were pretty cool too. The hotel is intimately quiet! I think the dark woods and carpeting everywhere add to that. I know there were other guests in the hotel, but it often felt like we were the only ones there...like having our own place. I don't know if the rooms were just designed like that, but there are signs on the doors asking folks to nicely "keep it down" and be respectful of disturbing others especially at night. Nice touch!

Staff was great and each day they helped us set up some great activity tours and were more than patient with my wife and I making so many changes and asking so many questions! They set up a city tour...waterfall and coffee tour...volcano tour...and a day of rapelling and white water rafting. At the end, their shuttle took us to the airport for a very nominal fee. Everything went off without a hitch and were great experiences...all at recomendations by the girls at the front desk.

We did have one slight problem and the manager, John, was as accommodating as could be. We heard him handle some other issues and he's the kind of guy I'd want running my hotel. On each occasion, whoever he was dealing with left with big smiles...us included. Got to meat Victor the owner and his partner, Steve, one morning who were on their way to the beach but took a moment to say hello to us.

I think the only caveat I would make is that this hotel is about 6 blocks from the bustling shopping and club district. As mentioned earlier we were apprehensive when we first arrived at the hotel as the neighborhood doesn't look very safe. But, we're walkers and adventurers!

After the first night, we realized it wasn't a bad neighborhood at all. It was just a quiet neighborhood and it seemed like quite a few professionals live in the area. Many evenings we just walked the easy six-blocks to and from the downtown area for shopping and meals and tours and mingling. Walking might not be for everyone and some might still be nervous in the area, especially late at night. But there's taxis readily available and the cost was like 2 bucks one way! Easy!

Also, the restaurant was great as well and I wrote a separate review. It's a great little place that's part of the hotel. Reminds me of a "Cheers" bar if Cheers was in Costa Rica! Cozy, Fun. Great great food! Portions were often more than we could eat and the chef himself comes out to give you a grin and a thumbs up when he sees you stuffed and unable to move!

In short...we'll b back! Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: We were advised not to book a room facing the street because of the noise, but from what we could te...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

For those who want to experience a hotel that is very different than the norm, I would certainly recommend Hotel Dunn Inn! When you enter you will feel like you have entered a very warm home atmosphere. The shuttle will pick you up from the airport for a very small fee and as you enter, their very professional and curtious security staff will help you and you will the warmth of the hotel immediately. Head of security is Edgar and then you will be greeted by Carol, and the entire reception staff. The General Manager will personally greet you as time allows and he is one of the most professional GM's I have ever encoutered. His name is John Gomes. I worked for JW and Bill Marriot for many years when younger, but have never felt the cozyness and ambiance that the Dunn Inn has to offer.There is also a private banquet room, free continental breakfast, a full menu with incredible food and a Sports bar or a more romantic bar with Ericka and her staff making sure that service is number one. I think what I like the most is that each section of this hotel has its own character and you will love it! I give this Hotel 5 Stars!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The rooms are a bit small but they're clean enough, albeit a little musty. The staff was pleasant enough but the service was a little slow. Like most Costa Rican hotels, the staff runs on "tica time" which is to say that they're always going to take their time with everything... I'd stay here again if only for the price, which is fairly reasonable compared to other similarly located hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hotel Dunn Inn is by far the best place in town. It is in a prime spot for for any needs. My friends and I were treated in very high class. The service and people were exceptional. I would recommend this place highly if your planing on staying in the area and I will definitely stay here again when returning to San Jose Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Newly remodeled suites and well worth the price.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Hotel Dunn Inn treated my girlfriend and I like one of their family. Almost all hotel staff speak fluent English and were very accomodating. The food at Hotel Dunn Inn was exceptional (which I have heard is rare in Costa Rica). The menu offers many choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We stayed in one of the newly remodeled suites which we would highly recommend as an upgrade. The hotel is very close to the main city streets, attractions and entertainment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Dunn Inn? Share your experiences!