“Nice place in the city” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Cacts
Avenida tercera bis, 2845, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #31 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Indiana
“Nice place in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I enjoyed Hotel Cacts while staying in San Jose. I don't normally like staying in town too long as the rest of the country just has so much beauty to offer, but I just recently stayed here for one night and thought it was one of the better places I have stayed in San Jose. The staff was very friendly and called me on time for my wake-up call (which has not happened at a few other hotels in town). All in all Hotel Cacts is a good value and located in a good area for walking and has easy access to the international airport.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Cacts twice in one trip while in transit from the airport to other parts of Costa Rica. It is a very good but very simple hotel that provides very nice service to those who are not familiar with the area. The owner speaks very good Spanish and is totally trustworthy.

The outside of the hotel is not very impressive, and perhaps a bit dumpy. But the inside of the hotel is perfectly fine, especially the back part of the hotel which is much more spacious. We stayed the first time in one of the rooms in the "B" area, which is just upstairs from the reception area. It is fairly dark and cramped and feels a bit old. The second time we stayed in the back of the hotel which is much newer. The rooms are larger and much brighter and they open onto a outdoor walkway (almost like an American motel). The picture in the May 7, 2006 review below is accurate for these rooms. The rooms are very clean, just not fancy. In my view its all you need if you don't plan to hang around the hotel all day.

The breakfast is held in a large open-air area on the third (?) floor of the hotel. Very pleasant, but again very simple.

Overall, I'd recommend the Hotel Cacts for its helpful service and its simple but very clean accommodations.

• Liked — Elecxa is great. Very helpful.
  • Disliked — Shower in the B side rooms of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

I stayed at this place four times the summer of 2005 with a group. The service is very friendly and the staff is the reason I give them an above average rating. The hallway is narrow if you have to carry a lot of equipment, just don't have to go up the winding staircase... yikes.

The best things I love about this place is that it is relatively close to a nice Mas por Menos (supermarket +) and a great beauty salon (only one block away). The breakfast is so-so. I supplemented with food from the market.

I have not stayed here since I have returned because I have found comparable ammenities for a better value elsewhere and I don't need to be catered to as much since I know the city fairly well.

I will recommend the place if this is your first trip to CR and you are looking for a budget place to stay. They will take care of you and give you great advice.

• Liked — The staff's service
  • Disliked — Some of the small funky little rooms
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I stayed here with my family a few years ago. We arrived around midnight, and when the taxi dropped us off outside this place, I stepped up the broken curb and thought,
"What have I gotten us into?" But once inside, the narrow little hallway opened into a courtyard and it was a cool place to stay! We had a nice room with a nice bathroom. It took about 20 minutes to walk downtown. We felt perfectly safe here and the staff was nice. Nice breakfast on the roof terrace. I would recommend this place!

• Stayed July 2002
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2005

The Cacts hotel is in an area of the city called Paseo Colon. It's in a residential area just a few minutes by Cab to the main downtown area of San Jose. The owners of the Cacts are very friendly and will go out of their way to help you. The older, and cheaper part of the hotel is more like a backpacker hostel than a hotel. We opted to upgrade to the newer, larger and more expensive rooms. They have a travel agency there that was the best I found on my 4 trips to C.R. We wanted to go on a last minute tour to Poas, Cartago and Sarchi, but it was too late, so they called a taxi driver that specialized in taking tourists on day trips. We had a great personalized tour that day. They had no problem cashing travellers checks (unlike some places I've been). It's a bit noisy there, but so is just about everywhere else in the city. There were a few good restaurants in the area, but you had to travel a bit further for better nightlife. They were supposed to have their new swimming pool done when we were there in 2000. I don't think it's done yet. It's not fancy, but a good choice for budget travellers and backpackers that want to be close to the buses, but don't want to be in the central area of downtown. They also have a good free breakfeast buffet with fresh fruit, juices, toast and bagels etc. They have a big storage room where you can leave extra baggage while you go trekking. They will pick you up at the airport too, but it's cheaper to take a cab.

• Stayed July 2000

Been to Hotel Cacts? Share your experiences!