“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Schofield, Wisconsin
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The hotel staff are the best we have found anywhere in our travels. They consistently went out of their way to help us navigate San Jose and make our stay easy and comfortable. Elexca was so helpful to us in booking the room, arranging our pickup from the airport, our rental car and even let us borrow one of the staff to help us find a gas station! Awesome service and friendliness!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have traveled to San Jose frequently over the years from 1999 onwards. I stayed at a number of hotels in and around San Jose until I found Hotel Cacts, and now I never go anywhere else. It is simply the best the best hotel in terms of comfort, cleanliness, value, safety and service you can find in the region. If you are looking for a hotel in San Jose, look no further, you have found Hotel Cacts. It is a calm cool oasis in the hot bustle of life in San Jose. The owner and staff at Hotel Cacts are also wonderful, genuine people who put you first and go out of their way to help you. Their outlook and the way they treat all people is one of the reasons they have built up such loyal support. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone, you will be happy you stayed here!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This hotel was beautiful! It has a great Costa Rican feel, and it is well managed. The beds were nice, the bathrooms were clean and the staff was very friendly. My favourite part was the balcony. You could see most of San Jose!
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

In my opinion, Cacts Hotel is a wonderful experience because the hotel is situated between downtown San Jose and a large beautiful park with a 15 minute walk to both. Cacts is also in a quiet and safe neighborhood with police station across the street, a dentist next door and grocery store 10 minutes walk away. Just 5 minutes walk brings you to a cluster of shops offering excellent handmade leather goods and repair services. The rooms are clean and comfortable, not fancy. If you want to have a genuine Costa Rican experience, with local, extremely pleasant and efficient staff, you must stay at Cacts Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 2nd floor furthest down the hallway are quieter because they are furthest from the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Lindsay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My first visit to Hotel Cacts was in 1999 as a member of a group of volunteers heading to Cano Palma Biologica Station near Tortuguero. I have since been a guest at the hotel on a regular basis (10+ visits) with my last visit on February 22nd, 23rd, and March 5th, 2014. My visits to Costa Rica usually involve group travel and I am the person responsible for making arrangements for the group.

All of my experiences at the hotel have been exceptional. From the first visit in 1999, I found the service to be excellent, the rooms very comfortable, clean and affordable. The experience starting with making reservations right through to check out is always reliable and efficient. Communication with Elecxa and the staff at the hotel is great and responses to requests are handled in a professional and timely manner. Most importantly, every member of every group I have taken to the hotel has been very pleased with their experience at the hotel. I have never had a complaint only praise.

I always recommend the hotel to anyone traveling to San Jose and I always stay there when I am in San Jose. For me, there is no other place to stay. The reason for my loyalty to this one hotel is the dedication and hard work of Elecxa and her staff to providing an exceptional experience every time I visit. I also feel it is very important to support local hotels that are owned and operated by individuals rather than large corporations. Elecxa and Hotel Cacts will always have my support because of the service I know I will receive each and every time I visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is a great place to use as a base for seeing San Jose. Rooms are tidy and provide phone and wifi. This is an older building with unique features and lots of interesting plants. Breakfast is served on a rooftop patio that is lovely. The front desk staff are gracious and very helpful. Convenient if you are seeing the dentist next door. It even has a small pool.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Plant City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Although I have read some reviews that are less than flattering, I can tell you that the person who said he registered at the Cacts did,, in fact, not have a room there. The closest he came to a hotel room was the lobby. He was upset because he had parked illegally in the space in front of the hotel and was belligerent with the manager when she tried to explain that he had left his car in the space that was meant for unloading baggage, etc. for more than nine hours. This is a fine hotel for its price. Nobody should bypass this hotel based on accusations by a kill-joy who was mad at the manager because he couldn't make her cower. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is on a limited budget.l

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cacts? Share your experiences!