“Boutique!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Boutique Hotel Jade

Save Saved
You added Boutique Hotel Jade to your Saves list
Boutique Hotel Jade
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Pedro, 300 Norte Grupo Q, Los Yoses | San Pedro, San Jose 2050, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 85 hotels in San Jose
Chicago, Illinois
“Boutique!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This is a lovely boutique hotel on the eastern side of San Jose with professional and amiable staff and an amazing restaurant. Rooms are clean and well maintained, beds are comfortable. Breakfast was ample, with a standard set of cold items and a hot dish that varied every day with local specialties (gallo pinto, plantanos) and more conventional items (eggs, pancakes). There are lots of dining, shopping and nightlife options nearby. I wish I had the time to enjoy the lovely courtyard and pool.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Charlotte, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Had a great stay here while attending the CRLA spanish immersion school. Nice, comfortable rooms, great food, close to downtown.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

This is a lovely little hotel with a welcoming lobby and staff. The decor is modern yet homey. I loved the center courtyard with its beautiful plantings and swimming pool. I'm sorry I didn't have a free afternoon to linger there. My room was comfortable and very clean. I heard a little street noise, since my room was on the street side of the hotel. However, I didn't find the noise to be disturbing. The breakfast buffet, in an attractive open-air dining room, was bountiful and delicious. I had dinner in Jurgen's restaurant one evening and had the best fish I have ever eaten. My only complaint is that my room safe did not work the entire time that I was there, despite promises to get it fixed.

Room Tip: It was quiet on the second floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Great Lobby for first impressions. Front Desk People Helpful. We had a inconvenience that they overly compensated us for, showing their high quality of conducting business. Rooms nice. We stayed twice and where lucky to receive a upgrade to their 2 room suite which was really laid out great with the bathroom inbetween the bedroom and living room. Breakfast was good with cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, fresh baked goods and cereal. The internet was good with a strong single. The location was good. It was close to a mall which we did not go to but we walked to the City Center and it took 25 minutes uphill on the way back. Did not time the downhill walk to City. Cabs where easy to get and we did cab it in the evening as the sidewalks are not the best. The restaurant was outstanding but more upscale. If you where looking for something more casual just around the block there where more casual places. I also think the mall had a lot to offer so we where told,

Room Tip: The 2 Room Suite is Great
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Midwest, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed here on a business trip, and I wasn't sure what to expect since I'd never been to Costa Rica before and I have traveled lots outside the U.S. and experienced varying qualities of hotels. This hotel is definitely a good choice. It was clean, quiet, and safe. The rooms open to a courtyard with trees and a pool, so you get a "tropical" feel even though you're in the city. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a mix-up (from our office) in the number of days we were supposed to stay, but the hotel staff worked with us to correct the problem. You can get breakfast at the hotel, which was very good, and the hotel's restaurant is one of the best in San Jose. The hotel is within walking distance of a large shopping mall, so if you need a break, it's a short (less than five minute) walk. I would recommend this hotel to travelers.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Wisconsin, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

For a bed and breakfast, the Jade surprised me. It was very cozy and inviting, and the room was very large. My only complaint was that my room, which was the very first in the hall, and thus, closest to the lobby, seemed to pick up every sound going on outside my door. Everything is tile out there, so it echos quite a bit, and because the bathroom window opens to the hallway (and because i didn't think to close it.) it was a little difficult getting to sleep with the chit chat, luggage wheels, and the fountain bubbling away. Shutting the window and the bathroom door helped imensely.

The bed was quite firm, but not bad. There was apparently wireless internet, but i couldn't access it at all from my room. I don't think i ever tried taking my laptop out into the lobby to test it though. I saw some others doing that. I wound up using their single desktop in the lobby and that worked fine.

Breakfast was nice. Out in an open building next to the pool. A lot of fresh fruit, yogurt, baked goods, etc. The usual. If i remember correctly, the breakfast buffet is included in the room price, which was great for me as i was up early for business meetings all week.

Speaking of the pool...i didn't use it, but that was partly because i didn't have time, AND because it's a pretty small deck surrounding it, which also happens to be the direct walk ways to the restaurants. But it looked perfectly clean and nice.

Jurgens restaurant is supposed to be a very classy place and from the small peek i had of the inside, it is quite nice. One morning the breakfast buffet was served in the restaurant, so i didn't actually order an entree.

Over all, i was quite happy with Jade and i wouldn't mind coming back on my next business trip. It's located on a bit of a side street so traffic isn't a problem, and it's in a good location for getting around San Jose.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

Although there were only a couple of reports about this on line, both were glowing, so I had high expectations. It had been booked too by work who have regular visitors to San Jose, so I thought it must be good. I was wrong.

It’s not bad, the staff are friendly, the rooms are medium sized and the decoration up to date. Sadly that date is well over 20 years ago. I’m too young to know exactly how far in the past. From the green (jade?) toilet to the lack of an ironing board, a coffee machine or internet connection in the room, it just wasn’t in the twenty-first century. The décor wasn’t run down, it was just tired.

Breakfast was very average, help yourself to a small buffet and get coffee from a stewing tin – in Costa Rica ? Dinner, I was told would be good. The service was indeed impeccable, lots of waiters running attentively around (maybe the restaurant was deliberately cold to make them active?). But the menu was way too long, heavy covers are almost never a good sign and the food was, well… lovely if you were looking for a ‘70s night, all that was missing was the fondue. A plateful of prawns came swimming in some disgusting germoline pink sauce. The was the appetiser, the main course, the sea bass with curried accompaniments could have been divine but was in fact a heap of rice, fish and what appeared to be cook-in sauce. It tasted of nothing much, about the only thing to stand out were the tinned pineapples. This in Costa Rica, I have just come from my local supermarket and bought…. a fresh pineapple from Costa Rica. Sadly dog's dinner that did it for me.

I’m sure the owner means well but sadly the Jade has had its day and is now a distinctly mouldy shade of green. While I may have no choice but to stay there again, if I do I will insist on eating out.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Hugely dated room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Boutique Hotel Jade? Share your experiences!