“Moldy fortress in the heart of the Ghetto” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose

You added Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose to your Saves list
Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Costado Sur Del Parque De La Paz | 15 milles away from the Intern. Airport, San Jose 68-2400, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #46 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Rockville, Maryland
“Moldy fortress in the heart of the Ghetto”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

It was hard to find, you drive around a really bad neighborhood in San Jose seeing fences and barred windows everywhere, and eventually it opens to a grand arch gateway with a guard shack. It feels like entering a military installation with 10ft high walls topped with metal spikes. I assume these are for good reason, but felt like it was unsafe to leave the hotel perimeter. The layout was odd and looked like something from a WWII film. The suites are arranged oddly with strangely fitted kitchens, weird room layouts and disproportional spaces. At first my thought was hmm, maybe this was some sort of old embassy compound that was refitted to be a hotel? The room they put us in edificio #1 room 105 was moldy and made my allergies act up awful in the first 10 minutes. We asked to be moved and they essentially said no, they were full (July is the off/rainy season in costa rica, at this time there were maybe 3 cars and 1 tour bus in the place.) We complained further and they said the only other rooms were larger "master Suites" and they would be a large upcharge. I asked to speak with the Gate1 rep and they somehow immediately found a room. This room was the same size, just one bedroom instead of 2 and had a Jacuzzi tub. My girlfriend and I never needed or asked for a kitchen or a 2 bedroom unit for a one night stay for 2 people. The Jacuzzi took 2 hours to fill and then was not leveled properly so the last inch of water didn't drain. I kept noticing little details and oddities in the construction, and it led me to believe that it was a old building, but then I googled it and found that it was a developer that built it in 2005. This place was built in 2005 and its already falling apart, it was actually designed so poorly that the spaces were supposed to be that way, not just retrofitted. Maybe the 2 bedrooms are nice for large groups, but the location is dangerous and the building is poorly constructed, I hope tour groups start using a better hotel to launch from, I would never return here. Add on the fact that this place is over 45 minutes from the airport and its just a poor choice. They had free wifi, but it hardly worked, kept having to walk around to find a signal.

Room Tip: Some corners of the buildings sit slightly below ground, they are moldy. All the rooms I saw were s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights. I am a teacher and was leading a group of teenaged students on a tour group through Costa Rica for 10 days. We stayed here on the first night and the last night due to our flights into and out of San Jose. It was a good location to stay with a group because of the suite-style rooms. There were already 2 bedrooms in each room and the hotel removed the couch in the living area and put in 2 additional beds so each of the 4 students in each room had their own bed. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, the bathrooms are rather small. That was one of the main complaints about the room. It would've been nice if both bedrooms would've had a mirror since the bathroom was so small and crowded for more than one person to get ready in the morning. The buffet in the morning was great and I didn't hear many complaints from our student group. We had dinner next to the pool one evening and it was a beautiful location and a lovely meal. I don't know that there is much near here in terms of walking distance, which was fine since we weren't leaving. Despite being given the wifi password, the internet strength from the rooms was not great and you pretty much had to be in the reception area to connect well. The first night we stayed here at the beginning of our trip, we were in a building next to the reception and it was nice and quiet while we slept. At the end of the trip, for our last night, we were placed in a different building and faced an extremely noisy street. The noise did keep us up a bit. Overall, it was a clean and nice place to stay and I would recommend it. Especially for a family that would require the use of a kitchen.

Room Tip: Request a room NOT facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I booked through an online site where we got a great rate, I believe it was around $80/night. It was me, my husband, and our three girls (all under ten). A week or so before we left I saw the icon on the hotel's webpage too chat with a specialist. Great. One of the reasons we choose this hotel was because of the free airport shuttle. I chatted with the very nice lady who said that a driver would be there as soon as we got off the plane. Awesome, until we got ofc the plane and found drivers for everybody but us. Some guys contacted the hotel and worked it out (for a tip, of course). An hour later we were picked up. I asked if our lunch would be compensated and he said that they had no reservation for our p pick up. Luckily, I chose to have an email of the online chat sent too me, so I had proof! In the end, lunch was covered. Breakfast was good. Not tons of choices, but good. The rooms were old feeling. Mildew on the ceiling above the shower, cigarette marks on the scalloped sink, tilted outlets and soap holders. I am tall, just shy of 6 feet, and I had to sit on an angle in the bathroom because the toilet was so close to vanity. I could have washed my feet and hands while using the toilet, it's that small. The beds were crap. Tempurpedic? Not in our room. My husband and I haven't snuggled that much since we first started dating. A double bed is rough when both people are tall! The girls slept like angels :) the outside of the buildings is beautiful! I really enjoyed looking at them. The service was wonderful as well. All in all I have mixed feeling about this place, but wouldn't return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Amherst, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

A strange place to book if you are a tour operator. Why on earth would I want to drive from the airport to San Jose in all that traffic after hours of flying, just to drive back in the same direction the next morning toward the Arenal or Monteverde areas (and then do the same crazy thing a week later)? Service and staff very friendly, most speak English amazingly well. The murals on the building walls are picturesque, the fountain with colorful tiles in the center gives it a village feel. Food is fair; eat here it you are too tired to drive somewhere else, although, the kids meals are good and large enough for an adult, if a burger or a quesadilla is ok; breakfast buffet is not the tastiest we've encountered. Ample parking; drive around the block to the Alamo-looking entrance. There is a reason it looks like the Alamo - you are basically inside a very lovely looking and well protected fort, not a place you want to venture out from and take a stroll. There is probably a good reason even the humblest of abodes in the area has iron gates and bars in front of their windows and doors. Rooms are ok, but why would I need a kitchen for an overnight stay? And be careful, the sodas in the fridge were not left by someone else, they are part of the minibar. Check the price list on the counter!!! I'd rather have a nice large hotel room. Small bathrooms (wish it was as large as the kitchen) with mildew odor (the two that I encountered). Room 121 - to avoid getting scalded while taking a shower, let the sink hot water run while you take the shower. Also, bring ear plugs, the room is right by the road, and the motorcycles and trucks are very loud. Room 420 - the hot tub is right outside your bedroom window, could be fun or very noisy. Best to take a taxi if you are planning to go downtown, unless you really enjoy good bumper to bumper traffic with some zipping motorcycles thrown in. Pool looked great, but unless you are a bit of an exhibitionist and enjoy it when the entire restaurant watches, not the best place for a swim (therefore, not one person in it the two days we were there). Wifi works well in rooms (get code from front desk); guest computer in lobby did not work when we were there (and had no printer, in case you want to print your boarding passes). If you are returning from Monteverde area, do yourself a favor and take the Rt 27 toll road (about $3) back to San Jose rather than Rt 1, much less stressful.
Overall, not a bad place if you really need to stay in the San Jose area, maybe for a conference or such, then the kitchen may come in handy. But if you don't have to, just stay in the airport area and make the drive to your next destination an hour shorter (1/2 hr plus traffic).

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and leave the A/C on, best noise cancellation.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

It was nice to have an apartment unit with a full kitchen but the bedrooms and bathroom felt really cramped. The unit didn't seem that old but I think things could have been laid out better. There was mildew and mold in the bathroom shower, walls and celing and the kitchen seemed half completed with not cabinets under the sink counter. Friendly staff, nice pool, good food.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Casa Conde is a good hotel under new management since my last visit. Good meals and safe property. Fair value! It has a great pool. The breakfast is a good Costa Rican experience. Access to shopping is easy.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We arrive at the Casa Conda very late at night after a stressful day of traveling. We walked the ought the arch into the dining and pool area which was all lit up with folded napkins and a buffet set out for us. That immediately made me feel so much better. The food is fantastic and the rooms are clean.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose? Share your experiences!